Thanks Thanks:  0

Thread: Tie-Downs and Straps

Post Thanks / Like

Tie-Downs and Straps

Any suggestions on tie-down and strap choices would be greatly appreciated.
    I am attending my first camping fly in at Madden's resort in Minnesota and will be camping under the wing a bunch this summer. Not sure if the claw from Sporty's is a good idea or if I should buy something else for the times there aren't tie-downs available. Also some proper procedure on tying down the tail of my PA-12.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Claw has worked great as an anchor point for me for years, but does not work the best in some sandier types of soil.

As for the Lines themselves, I absolutely love the knotless tie downs I got from this guy https://backcountrypilot.org/forum/1...oto-dump-17878.

Post Thanks / Like
    That line is called Spectra or dyneema. It's used in sailing and it's awesome. No stretch.

http://www.novabraid.com/rope-materi...ra-fiber-rope/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d0B6tYTVHVM
    Last edited by Grant; 05-06-2017 at 06:01 PM.
    Likes Wag2+2, Chicken Hawk, skywagon8a liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great stuff, I've ordered and received the clay and the lines. Anyone on input for tying down the tail should the winds necessitate?

Sent from my XT1650 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had good luck with the Claw for 10 years or so but for New Holstein's sandy/silt and storms I use augers and I don't mean doggie screws.

Not sure about using being a good choice or not, depending upon your opinion of the effect of shock loads being transmitted uninterrupted to the anchors. Spectra it's good stuff (you get to step down usually two size) and works great for light air spinnaker and headsail sheets but in a blow I did some significant hardware damage with it back in my sailing the days. For tie downs I use low-stretch Gold Braid dock lines from West.

I tie the tail a little bit loose so you get some movement but so that it won't raise high and risk a tip over.
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 05-18-2017 at 06:41 AM.
    "Don't feed the hipsters"