• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Old Picture: N40627

Richgj3

BENEFACTOR
LI,NY
In 1978 or so the Great South Bay between Long Island and Fire Island froze. I wasn't going to try the ice, but when I saw a GMC truck drive by, I figured it was safe.

40627 was a rental at the time. Now I believe it's owned by a member here and won at SJ a few years ago.

Rich
dca94ab7e5b421fce325fb9cdc6515a4.jpg

That was my dad's airplane from about 1960 to about 1966. Sure wish it had stayed in the family!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When my friend who owned the flight school bought it in 69 or 70, it had 40 hours on it after a rebuild and 40 hours since a Mattituck Major. He paid $2500 for it and all the experts said he paid way too much!

It was on the line at $11.00 an hour wet. I flew the crap out of it. In all the years it was a rental it was only damaged once and that was a hand propping event where it got away and went up on a wing tip.

Rich

My dad paid $700 for it in 1960. We had an FBO at Blairstown, and if I remember correctly, instruction was $8 an hour for the airplane and instructor! Dad closed the business in 1965, and moved the airplane to Hanover Airport in E. Hanover NJ. After another year or 2 it needed fabric so he sold it, I suspect to the guy your friend got it from. We had 2 Champs and a Stinson as well. I still have the paperwork for one of the Champs, but always liked the J3 better. Of course I was only a little kid then. Soloed at 16 in 1969 at Hanover in a Cessna 140.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blairstown is still a cool place, got my first glider ride there as a kid and even skydived in a few times during the 70s.

Glenn

As I recall my friend bought it from an airline captain who did the restoration. I believe he lived on Eastern Long Island. The Cub was based at 23N, now known as Bayport Aerodrome but back then it was Edwards Airport after the owner, George Edwards.

Thanks for the interesting background dgapilot

Rich

Back