Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 Valdez Fly In and Air Show! May 12-14

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw that 19yr Old Lydia Jacobs got in and out in 150' or so in a Cessna 150. Anybody know what the metar was during the contest? Always fun

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    16mph down the runway, -117 feet density altitude

Post Thanks / Like
    Lil Cub was awesome!
    Is he still running the 320?
    I liked it when he was running the stroked 85,
    switching to the 320 seemed counter to the whole lightweight philosophy
    but you sure can't argue with the results.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doing this on my phone getting ready to depart the ramp at Valdez. Lydia did a great job of extracting every ounce of performance from that airplane. She did a great short field takeoff, hung right on the edge in ground effect, and did a great job on the landing as well. Obviously she couldn't compete in that airplane but if there was an award for extracting the maximum performance out of your aircraft she probably would've won that. No question Frank Knappis a very skilled pilot and has done a great job of building a "tip of the spear" airplane advancing the technology. John Bush came very very close to winning his division in an airplane that in some respects is probably close to the opposite of Frank's. Extremely high technology (as Frank's is) but with a different mission. It can land and take off pretty darn short but also carry a full moose and maybe three or four Caribou out of the hunting site in one load. It is a truck, and amazing truck. And John obviously extract all of the performance out of that airplane just like Frank does. He missed his landings by just a couple of feet, close enough that you have to look at the video in slow motion to see it, and had he made those landings he would've won his division. It is a very interesting airplane built by Wayne Mackey and again tip of the spear technology. It was a great contest this year if I have time when I get to Juneau this evening I will post some video of some of the other competitors and their landings and takeoffs.
    it is an absolutely clear blue sky, calm wind, visibility unlimited day here in Valdez. And it should make for a stunning flight across Prince William sound, over Cordova, down the coast to Yukatat, and finally into Juneau.

Hope this helps

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    Folks

I don't have time to post everything but here is a short 28 second video of Frank Knapps performance.
    Hope you enjoy

Bill
    I sure wish the Facebook feed was anywhere near the quality of yours. It would have bee a whole lot nicer to watch the show.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process
    Likes pzinck, kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's tough to get good quality video over a low bandwidth connection. I volunteered to help with the video streaming for the two previous years, and it was a struggle to keep it running over cellular data and/or public wifi. The infrastructure just isn't consistently up to the task.

I think Joe and crew did a great job this year with the Facebook video feed. I was able to watch most of it on the TV in my living room. Wish I could have been there again this year.
    Likes SJ, gdafoe, mike mcs repair, jprax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody know if there is a more complete video coming, sure would like to see more. Some of us avoid Facebook for what we think are very good reasons. It would be nice if it was available otherwise. I know it is very hard to get good video with poor quality connections so I appreciate whatever is provided, I'm sure it is a lot of work.
    Gerald
    Likes pzinck, JLMartin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    180hp, thrustline, vg's, leading edge exhaust. 49' take off, bush class. Thank you Mark for your honesty.
    Last edited by kevind; 05-15-2017 at 11:58 PM.
    Thanks AkPA/18 thanked for this post
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I see lots of flying videos and airplane posts. Supercub.org, facebook, emails and other mediums. After seeing that Lydia fly thousands of miles from maine to Alaska, compete in the stol competition and do so well, it made me want to go flying. GOD that young lady brings back the enthusiasm I once had. Brought back some wonderful thoughts of the early days of my aviation. We can bitch and complain about a lot of the youth, but there is a kid that gives me hope.
    Last edited by pzinck; 05-16-2017 at 12:00 AM.
    Remember , the light at the end of the tunnel may be you .O wind of heaven by thy might save all who dare the eagles flight, and keep them by thy watchful care from every peril in the air.
    Thanks SJ, avi8tr1364, scout88305 thanked for this post
    Likes kestrel, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

I did not do hardly any editing but I strung a few together for you to see. Not sure why the shock cub is out of focus. John Bush is in the all black airplane. I believe Ron Kuzena is in the white with blue nose cub. Toby is in the olive drab carbon cub, which was built in 81 days. Even with help that is IMPRESSIVE.
    Not sure who is in the other SQ2 cub.
    Just an observation. Look at the AOA of the competitors. Some are in front of the power curve (note the landing distance) and some are behind the power curve (high AOA) and again look at the landing distance. I put in some freeze frames just so you could see how close these guys came to the line. They all did a great job. I have more but it took almost 3 hours to upload a 2 minute video.
    I did not go to Valdez to film it and make a presentation so I don't have a very good video. Sorry. I am just trying to share what I do have.

Hope this helps

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Thanks Brian M, Ruffair, AkPA/18, gdafoe, Olibuilt and 8 others thanked for this post
    Likes kestrel, AKCRUISER, JLMartin, KiwiCub, StuBob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe and the Valdez crew makes it better every year!!!! Tower crew rocked!! Fellow pilots made it look like we did this everyday!!! I went out to burn off some gas and warm the oil when the airbox got closed for acrobatic display. Bunch of other planes showed up and we had to hold for a bit, looked like a bee hive. All the pilots took it in stride and made it happen like we had been flying together for years. I can't say enough about the effort the city/people of Valdez put into this show. The video from this year should be good pilots/tower tried hard not to block view of the people. I got a standby flight on RAVEN tonight to pick up my cub (drove 5th wheel and wife home yesterday) . Only a few planes left not in hangers.
    DENNY
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post
    Likes 8856Charlie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The black/silver SQ was built by Tom Hudzinski aka CUBSPANKER!! He is from Wolf Lake area. Chris Wyckoff spanked me like a unwanted stepchild in the bush class.
    DENNY
    Likes 8856Charlie, jprax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, GREAT video! Awesome job with the freeze frames, and you are sure right about the AOA.

My thanks and appreciation go out to ALL who competed regardless of their skill levels and results.

sj
    Likes 8856Charlie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great looking planes, best Pilots out there and certainly a fantastic event... thanks Bill for sharing. Frank, you are one with your Li'llCub... that is F!!! amazing.

John's Cub looks like SQ with an extended frame, is that correct? It's scary to see the wing drop like that on Tom's plane... glad that turned out great.

Thank you all for getting the live feed, it almost felt like been there!!!
    http://spaincub.wordpress.com
    Likes 8856Charlie, jprax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

Here is a short (edited) video of the flight into Valdez

Hope you enjoy

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Thanks 5nines, J5Ron, StuBob thanked for this post
    Likes jrussl, tcraft128, CubCruiser, garyl, SpainCub and 3 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For whatever reason the embed portion of adding a Vimeo video isn't working so you'll need to click on the link. Paul Claus flying his Otter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Bill,
    What program do you edit with? Is that GoPro video.

Folks

Here is a short (edited) video of the flight into Valdez

Hope you enjoy

Bill
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"
    Thanks tedwaltman1, 1934A thanked for this post
    Likes DW liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

As is always the case, it's all about the people.

I had a great visit with John Bush (right) and Toby (left) Great guys. Impressive pilots. It will take a while for me to get up to their level.
    They both did an awesome job of flying.

(L-R)Bob Cassell, Martin Stuefer, Joe Prax Host of the Valdez STOL contest. I must tell you Joe went out of his way to make my visit great. He insisted I borrow his car and drive around Valdez. I am glad he did. I would have not wanted to impose but he insisted and what a tour it was. Beautiful place. Joe is classic SC.org personality. Super open and friendly. Thank you Joe for all the work you did to put on the show. You guys all know of Bob, cub builder, sheep hunter extraordinaire, and great host. And then there is Martin. My new friend from Fairbanks. Martin is the Associate Director of the Alaska Climate Research Center at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. (hope I got all that right) Great guys - ALL!!

Bob and I enjoying a cup of hot tea.

The sights I got to see because Joe insisted I accept his hospitality. I am humbled. Thank you Joe.

This was on the drive to Thompson Pass

I even got to see a little of the town. Pretty cool.

Thank you to all. You are good folks

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddy

I use iMovie on my Mac computer. That is GoPro hero four footage. I need to put the ND8 Filter on the inside GoPro to get rid of the prop affect. That GoPro is hooked into my audio. When you edit you have to separate the video and the audio otherwise you end up with one camera staying in place too long and it gets boring. That also allows you to cut out gaps in audio, or where two people step on each other, and things like that. In this case I edited out all the other traffic just to try to keep it cleaner. There were five of us all trying to get to the runway at the same time and tower did a pretty good job but it was a bit of a goat rope. And you don't hear any of that because I took it out.
    I'm getting better but it is still a whole nother world and it can eat up a lot of time. In this case it was raining and I was sitting in the tent. Fortunately, I was able to piggyback on Wi-Fi at the airport to upload the video.
    In most cases public Wi-Fi will not handle streaming, and uploading video, so it can just take forever to upload a short video. ( sitting in a laundromat right now doing a load of laundry so I have some time )
    I hope to be fishing in a couple of hours.
    Hope this helps

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Thanks Eddie Foy, Little_Cub thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    .....My thanks and appreciation go out to ALL who competed regardless of their skill levels and results........
    Ditto! It takes a lot of nerve to get out there and put your airplane and your own skills on exhibition,
    esp for those who know that they're not gonna be at the top of their class.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Thanks 8856Charlie thanked for this post
    Likes 8856Charlie, Bill Rusk, pzinck, tcraft128 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm one of those new guys who flew in the STOL comp and it was a blast. Glad i didn't make my plane sit in the tiedowns through the fun. Wasn't my best performance but I didn't DQ and the cubs still flying! Thrilled I made it out and made some friends doing it. I'm thankful for the people I met and those that included the wife and I in their fun, along with the conversations shared though the weekend. I think I talked some other pilots that were on the fence about flying the STOL Comp who were newer or less experienced to compete next year as well which makes it fun for those of us looking up to some of these amazing/experienced pilots.
    Likes cubdriver2, Dave Calkins, jprax, pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had an absolute blast competing in this years event. It was the first time for me competing, and it certainly a different style of flying. I watch my videos, and obviously I come in really flat... I can certainly shave some distance off both my takeoff and my landing. But I flew it like I do in the real world. My AOI is adjusted And combined with my 9' Keller flaps, it allows me to fly a very stable flat approach. It allows me to see my spot, and even with my super long 69' landing, it allowed me to place 3rd in this years comp. No doubt Jons plane is very impressive, and had he not scratched, he would have killed me, but that's not how it went down. Everyone has good and bad days....I got lucky. Can't wait for next year, when I have slats.....maybe then, I can be even more of a contender. Ron
    Likes Dave Calkins, Bill Rusk, jprax, tcraft128, 792 and 3 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    new video..What a nice event, really fantastic

Thanks gdafoe, Little_Cub, Olibuilt thanked for this post
    Likes jprax, tcraft128, pzinck, SpainCub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Selvaoscura View Post
    new video..What a nice event, really fantastic

Did the J4 at 1.12 compete ?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    The J-4 competed and was quite impressive. He flies it like he stole it. Works the bush with it too, it doesn't sit around in a museum.
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

Not sure why the shock cub is out of focus.

Bill
    So your camera does not like the harmonics of that Fuurin' motor.
    Regards, Charlie
    Super Coupe E-AB build in process

Post Thanks / Like
    Would like to say thank you to all the folks involved in the Valdez STOL event! As pilots spend more time and money
    to be competitive the event has become more professional while holding the small town charm and warmth. We look
    forward to next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone have a copy of the final scores yet?
    Likes Dave Calkins liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Did the J4 at 1.12 compete ?

Glenn
    Here's a good video showcasing the J4.

Thanks mike mcs repair, pzinck thanked for this post
    Likes jprax, pzinck, skukum12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks MM. If you line up all the Cubs that Piper built you will notice that the J4 has the greatest AOA of all of them. Mine is a little hotrod on wheels and lands slower then any Cub I've ever flown.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05705.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	31413
    Likes Little_Cub, cubdriver2, pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05713.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	31414
    Thanks Little_Cub thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Vince nice talking with you yesterday. See you in a couple weeks

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by vj88 View Post
    Anyone have a copy of the final scores yet?
    Final results are posted on the Valdez website (can't post the link due to error). Awesome flying everyone, fantastic numbers.

Post Thanks / Like