Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Valdez Fly In and Air Show! May 12-14

Post Thanks / Like

2017 Valdez Fly In and Air Show! May 12-14

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010 Vdz Fly In General Planes_20100507_2121.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	31103Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2008 Planes Vdz Fly In_20080510_1169.jpg 
Views:	281 
Size:	749.8 KB 
ID:	31104
    Hi All
    Plans are well underway for the 14th Valdez Fly In and Air Show!
    The general schedule is the same as past years. Pilot round table Friday afternoon, Beach landing Saturday morning, STOL contest Saturday afternoon, Flour Bombing Sunday Morning, Airshow Sunday afternoon.

Gary Ward will be joining us this year for Aerobatics along with Scott Sexton

Fuel is available on the field

Most hotels are booked up but Glacier Sound Inn is going to open early this year. Please call 907-835-4485, they are offering a special rate of $89 for the fly in. Also you can try the visitor center web site at valdezalaska.org for a list of Bed and Breakfasts. You can certainly camp with your plane as well.

A new wrinkle this year is that the FAA is not letting us use the CTAF for field control. When the tower is in operation you will need to contact it on 119.05. This will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday for general traffic. It will be on the NOTAM and ATIS as well. In the evening and early morning when the tower is closed you will use CTAF 122.9

The snow is almost completely gone, there is tons of room for planes. I will update this as needed, also watch our facebook page. Hope you all can make it!
    Thanks Gary Ward thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to another great year. I hope to bring the cub over early and drop it off, I will be driving over with 5th wheel on Fri.
    DENNY
    Likes jprax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That's an older photo. 79H tailed into the snow mountain third from left at bottom of photo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    =========
    PA-12 fan

Post Thanks / Like

2017 Valdez Fly In Preliminary Schedule of Events

Attached is the preliminary schedule for Valdez May 12-14
    Also attached is the pilot information. This year the FAA required that we get specific frequencies for the tower and ground. When the tower is OPEN Friday, Saturday and Sunday at least, the tower frequency will be 119.05 and ground 120.05. Monitor AWOS 118.8 for tower status. When the tower is CLOSED use CTAF 122.9 This will also be on the NOTAM Juneau FSS 122.2
    If you are at the Airmen's show please stop by the Fly In booth and say hello.
    See you in Valdez!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    Will there be any live streaming of the contest this year?
    Likes barbwire, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Still a few days and a long shot for a forecast for the area, but a high pressure ridge is moving in this week. Looks like a perfect timing for a great sunny event especially Friday and Saturday.

Name:	700P-VVEL-162h.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	31324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	REFLECTIVITY-168h.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	31325
    Likes jprax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the avgas price?

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a lot of interest at the Airmen's Show! Nice to see so many people and meet more from this site! The fuel company is bringing in a load of fuel on Thursday and will have an updated price. We will be streaming the event, I will post details. I also hope to stream the pilot round tables on Friday afternoon, those are always entertaining.

Everts Airfuel will be bringing a C-46 for demonstration. They are about assured of winning the Extra Extra Heavy Touring Class. This is going to a be a great addition. They will have the plane open to the public as well. Sorry not for rides!
    I will post more updates as we get closer. There are still some rooms available at the Glacier Sound Inn.
    Hope to see everyone this weekend!
    Likes C-FIJK, pzinck, CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am very excited that you are streaming the events. Thanks so much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Vertical Solutions has fuel.. call the nice office attendant at number on tank and she will dispatch someone.. $5.98/gallon today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm at Whitehorse and planning to fly over to Valdez today. Can anyone recommend the preferred route?

Looking at the GPS map, looks like taking Hwy 4 from Gulkana to Thomson Pass is a good route.

I'm really looking forward to the event and to meeting a lot of the pilots on this group.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    C-46, is that Salmon Ella?

Gary- Haines Junction, follow the river down to the coast, turn right. keep beach on left till Cordova. Turn right.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    C-46, is that Salmon Ella?

Gary- Haines Junction, follow the river down to the coast, turn right. keep beach on left till Cordova. Turn right.
    But I need to clear customs at Northway. Is there some other place to clear. Customs told me I cannot clear at Valdez.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you can clear in Skagway
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I came though was given an option to stop in Northway for customs inspection or fly into Anchorage.... think they said I needed to fly into Ted Stevens international... opted for Northway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Yup, ORT is your option. so reverse my course and come back the beach looking for glass balls!

Remember, no fuel there. The next fuel is Gulkana- home of the former short field contest!

Credit card machine there.

Tok also has fuel, but it is about the same either way. I did the trip with a 15 gallon barrel in the back seat with standard tanks from Glennallen to Hns Junction in the winter.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes avi8tr1364 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a list of the first place prizes:
    Bush Class: Set of 31" Bush Wheels from Airframes Alaska. Note if we have 15 or more planes in this class we are going to run the top 5 together as the last heat of the day.
    Light Sport: $500 Aero Gift Card and Air Boss Carbon Fiber headset
    Alternate Bush (Experimental): A set of Acme Aero Fab Shocks
    Light Touring: Tanis Engine Heater
    Heavy Touring: Spider Tracks tracking unit.
    Poker Run Aera GPS from Northern Lights Avionics (Note if you are coming in on Saturday morning you can fly to the beach and register after. Please look at the pilot briefing at valdezflyin.com) You must go to the beach!
    Flour Bombing: Corsair 4 channel remote control airplane

There will be more prizes that will be put in a drawing for all the STOL participants.

We have about 20 planes on the ramp tonight, it was a beautiful day in Valdez! Gary Ward is here and did a brief practice routine, it is spectacular against the mountain and LOUD!! There are showers in the forecast for late Saturday afternoon but the forecast for Valdez (Especially on Weather Underground, the iPhone default) is notoriously wrong for Valdez. They forecast for Thompson Pass but record in Valdez. The weather is ALWAYS warmer than forecast and rain is more likely in the mountains. Check the weather cams before you head out. Remember the tower is 119.05 when open. If you get in Friday night we are having a BBQ at my hangar in the GA area, don't worry about bringing something just attend after the pilot round table.

Oh yeah. Did I mention Everts Air is going to demonstrate the C-46?? How cool is that?
    See you all at the fly in!
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe, when you say if one is coming on Saturday morning and wanting to do the poker run, you can fly direct to Hook beach without stopping in VDZ first and registering/attending safety briefing?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can make it by the 8:30 brief and want to come to Valdez first that is fine. If it is more direct you can just fly out to the beach and get your poker hand when you return to Valdez. We have simplified this as you don't have to go and land at all the spots or fly the route although you are encouraged to do so, it is an awesome flight! We just run out of time to have everyone go all the way around and get back in time for the STOL competition. We have a briefing for the Poker Run on the web site, please do look that over. Let me know if you have questions. If you have not been to Hook Point or done a beach landing this is the time to do it!

Post Thanks / Like
    What is the link for live feed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick reply. Last question; is the beach is firm enough for a C-182 with 8:50×6 mains and 8:00x6 nose wheels?

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	C46 N1837M Hot Stuff.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	93.1 KB 
ID:	31355

Here is a picture of the C-46. Rumor has it that after betting on a short take of contest, a 185 pilot just paid his bet and refused to take off after the C-46 went. We won't have a maximum performance take off but it will still be impressive!
    This is the largest tail dragger, bigger than a B-17. Gross is 45,000lbs with them operated up to 60,000 in the war! Anyone have some 130 octane so we can see what it really can do??
    The beach is perfect for about anything. Stay between the parked planes and the shoreline. Darker sand is the hardest but really dark is wet, still hard but you will get spray on your plane. We have had a T-6 on the beach, back in the day they used to land a DC-6 to haul fish. The preferred area will be marked.
    Likes pzinck, KiwiCub liked this post

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just landed. My first Valdez. Stunning day, clear blue skies and smooth. Awesome flight across Prince William Sound.
    If I can I'll post some pictures and video. Wow, just WOW!!!

Bill
    Very Blessed.
    Likes pzinck, Scooter7779h, 62E, FdxLou, jprax and 3 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Valdez Update

We have 157 planes on the ground Friday evening! Weather could not have been nicer! We may get rain late Saturday afternoon or evening but doesn't look heavy. Remember Weather Underground is rarely right in Valdez.

The C-46 made it in, it looks HUGE when it is sitting with GA planes around it. The demo will be awesome!

We will have streaming on the Valdez Fly In Facebook page. The contest starts with the C-46 demo at 1:50, Paul doing the turbine Otter demo at 2 and then into the contest.

Lots of people have stopped by, a young couple from Edmonton, Lydia from Maine who flew her 150 up here, folks from all over. We even have a fellow who flew his Gulfstream jet up from Mexico because this was a "bucket list" item for him. He may come back and compete!

Thanks for all your support and we are humbled by the people who are able to attend.
    Joe
    Thanks brown bear thanked for this post
    Likes SJ, CamTom12, mike mcs repair, avi8tr1364 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Joe! That is fantastic!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Likes C-FIJK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Terrific, Joe!

What is the link for the live feed???

Thanks!

Randy

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    heres the FB page??? or is this just the event page??... 2017 Valdez Fly In and Air Show

Post Thanks / Like
    i was wrong..

live link at moment live video

Valdez Fly-In & Air Show

Post Thanks / Like
    it's starting time... I hear the turbine starting...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Perfect timing. Go Jon!

Is it raining there? Pretty darn nice in central Texas today.
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Folks

I don't have time to post everything but here is a short 28 second video of Frank Knapps performance. Even though his "Cub" is pretty unique and may not appeal to everyone, it is still fun to watch and easy to admire someone who is clearly on the top of his game. Frank sets the bar pretty high.
    That first marker you see is at 25'

Hope you enjoy

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Rusk View Post
    Folks

I don't have time to post everything but here is a short 28 second video of Frank Knapps performance. Even though his "Cub" is pretty unique and may not appeal to everyone, it is still fun to watch and easy to admire someone who is clearly on the top of his game. Frank sets the bar pretty high.
    That first marker you see is at 25'

Hope you enjoy

Bill
    might need to adjust the scoring from feet, to inches....

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually they did start to use inches in Franks distances. 10'5" landing.
    "Always looking up"
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just got here(Valdez). What did I miss? Eating breakfast in the morning and heading out to the airport.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, thanks for the post! I watched an hour or so, but missed Frank's flight.

Joe and crew, thank you so much for arranging to have this event streamed! What a treat to view. We missed the crisp air, the applause and chatter of the crowd, but for those of us who were able to watch it and hear some of the sounds it was truly a blessing.

As the shooter for the New Holstein Short Field events I was particularly appreciative of seeing how you folks did the measuring and lineups. All we have to do is arrange for some really big cardboard cutouts of the mountains, import some fresh mountain air and we will achieve about 1/10th of what you have put together there! Others of us down in the lower 48 may strive to put on a good show for those who attend our event, but yours is and always will be the Grand Daddy of Them All!

Congratulations on another first class event!

Randy
    Likes FdxLou, Bill Rusk, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Seen that again up close makes even more remarkable... Congrats Frank!!! 10-5!!!
    http://spaincub.wordpress.com
    Thanks avi8tr1364 thanked for this post
    Likes alaskadrifter, Ruffair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great videos!
    Thanks for sharing

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the video! Very impressive!
    does anyone have the rest of the results?