• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Steps for Floats

snowyriver

Alaska
Hello all,
Im building a set of Murphy floats and would like to incorporate a step in the outside floats to make climbing up easier. Montana floats uses them and I think I've seen another manufacturer as well. Any ideas on what I could use or how to make something? It's something I'd build into the side skin. Not getting any response from the Montana guys so I thought I'd check with the other experts. Thanks, Craig

Whipline amphibs have them- I'd bet you could order the step piece from them. Cut a hole in your side skin, rivet it in and be done. Or save some $$$ on whip parts and just build your own- it'd be easy enough to just copy theirs...

I have seen a thick piece of aluminum attached to the outside for this purpose. I do not recommend this method as it would be easy to damage yourself hitting it with your leg or catching it on something in the water. I should be easy to just cut a hole and build a box to step into in the side skin.

Come on Craig... you can lift your leg higher than that!!! :lol:

You know, even on Bob's Elite with the Clamars I put on it not once did I ever use the built in step to get up on it. I find it more awkward than just making the leap... and you can't safely use it coming down, that's for sure!

This would come in handy getting out of the water also
s-l1600.jpg

Glenn

Glenn, That's awesome! Maybe I should go for a rope ladder! Wayne, I just like to complicate things. It just seems like an easy install at this point. Anyway, I ended up buying a kit of two from Keith at Montana. Comes with fiberglass step, two doublers and an internal cross brace for strength. $300. Easy. The only problem is the place I'd want the step is where I just put the hatch! #***%##! Anyhow, thanks to all who chimed in...even the smart Asses!

Back