• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Mini, portable efis?

... the non approved G5 is not portable, does that mean a hard No for legally installing it in place of my not required VSI?

The ASI & VSI in the G5 tie into the pitot/static system during installation, so they would not seem to be portable.

For years, I've used a RAM suction-cup mount to attach my iPad Mini (and/or iPhone 7+) to the corner of the windshield of my airplane, and it holds it very well. I do re-attach it before every flight, just to be sure. For the airplane I'm building, I plan to attach a couple of RAM ball-mounts to the panel, and attach both the iPhone and iPad Mini to the ball mount. That should be rock-solid.

As for vibration levels, I've got zero concerns about the vibration level of the panel being harmful to the devices through the RAM mounts. I would assume that a Samsung, LG, or other "name-brand" Android device would be equally solid in that environment.

The ASI & VSI in the G5 tie into the pitot/static system during installation, so they would not seem to be portable.

We know its not portable, once its in its in, even if you just install it without hooking up the pitot and static and run it raw out of the box using only gps data for speed and vsi, it is still screwed into the panel and cant get away with pop off portable like the GRT GA unit does.

I guess what I am asking here is if it can be installed without a field approval or other complicated procedure?

If the answer is no, well Im limited to the Dynon D2 or the portable GRT GA.

Wow, just reread my post and thinking about how by not allowing me to install the G5 because its not portable unless I go through a complicated approval process.. (if thats the case) they're really making flying less safe than more safe.

Last edited:
I guess what I am asking here is if it can be installed without a field approval or other complicated procedure?
If you are removing a not required instrument in order to install another not required instrument. Do it. It would be a minor alteration. A&P signature only in air frame log book. As long as you have all of the required instruments anything else is just stuff. If you install it as a removable item there is no sign off required as it is not fixed to the plane.

Wow, just reread my post and thinking about how by not allowing me to install the G5 because its not portable unless I go through a complicated approval process.. (if thats the case) they're really making flying less safe than more safe.

You absolutely can install a G5 in your plane without going through any FAA approval process (other than the IA sign-off). The issue is that you don't want to pay for the version of the G5 that comes with the STC / Approval already done for you. I get it - my flight budget is pretty tight. For some people it might be worth the money, and for others it isn't. Your airplane, your decision – no argument from me there.

But I really cannot see how either the FAA or Garmin are "making flying less safe" because you have chosen not to avail yourself of their offering for your certified airplane. You seem willing to spend $1300 for the experimental G5, but for $900 more, you could have the approved version with the STC.

Yeah, I wish we could use the cheaper experimental version, and no, I'm not spending the $2,200 to put a G5 in my '65 Champion 7ECA either... But I do recognize what a huge step the FAA (and Garmin, for that matter) have taken in getting the STC approval done for the G5 (as well as the Dynon/EAA/FAA partnership on the D10/D100). I've flown less than 50 hours of actual instrument time, but had 3 vacuum pump failures. Being able to purchase a G5 for well under the cost of an AI and Vacuum Pump is a huge win in my book!

You absolutely can install a G5 in your plane without going through any FAA approval process (other than the IA sign-off). The issue is that you don't want to pay for the version of the G5 that comes with the STC / Approval already done for you. I get it - my flight budget is pretty tight. For some people it might be worth the money, and for others it isn't. Your airplane, your decision – no argument from me there.

But I really cannot see how either the FAA or Garmin are "making flying less safe" because you have chosen not to avail yourself of their offering for your certified airplane. You seem willing to spend $1300 for the experimental G5, but for $900 more, you could have the approved version with the STC.

Yeah, I wish we could use the cheaper experimental version, and no, I'm not spending the $2,200 to put a G5 in my '65 Champion 7ECA either... But I do recognize what a huge step the FAA (and Garmin, for that matter) have taken in getting the STC approval done for the G5 (as well as the Dynon/EAA/FAA partnership on the D10/D100). I've flown less than 50 hours of actual instrument time, but had 3 vacuum pump failures. Being able to purchase a G5 for well under the cost of an AI and Vacuum Pump is a huge win in my book!

Its not $900 more, its $900 + $2,200., $3,100. more you have to buy two FAAA approved versions to do what one non approved version does.

Thanks though, will run it by my mechanic and see if he will sign off on installing the non approved version inplace of my not required VSI, since its not required its sounds like a no brainer for virtue of safety reason.

Eddie, since you asked. http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/9837?gclid=CPPOxrPZp9MCFUGTfgodHIIOiw

The GDL39-3D communicates with Garmin Pilot and Foreflight. GP includes synthetic vision in the subscription. Foreflight adds a premium for syn vis. My subscription costs $75 per year and on my iDevices it updates automatically when updates are released. There are some features that don't work as well on Androids (you need to ask an Android user) but unlike Foreflight, it is supported for Androids. It also can link to some of Garmin's aviation GPS units giving them ADHRS functions, so if you use a GPS you can get your HSI or AH from that. Not trying to convince you or sway you, just answering your questions. I'm still interested why guys favor the other options mentioned previously.

Last edited:
Seems a bit complicated buying all that different equipment and than needing to subscribe to something for it to work.. im not into apps, im oldschool I guess.

Last edited:
Stewart
Which app is this screenshot?
Lou

My preference changed from iPad to iPhone 7 Plus because I always have my phone with me and it's easier to find space to velcro it in place. Sitting in my living room I accessed the navigation menu and selected panel view in a couple of seconds, literally. When connected to my GDL the app is amazingly accurate compared to my flight instruments including the DG in the Cessna, which is only as accurate as my willingness to set it with my compass. An AH view is just as easily accessed by selecting the synthetic vision screen. I'm not criticizing anyone's choices, just looking for information about why they make their choices.
68fc861928408f63c7f0b9883bdd2712.png

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

[FONT=Open Sans, HelveticaNeue, HelveticaNeueu, Arial, sans-serif]Just looking it up, from Garmin stuff:

$2,500 gets you the stuff to plug and go. Yes, it does the turn coordinator. Yes, STC'd. Yes, other units might do more. (The Dynon is STC'd by the EAA in cubs fyi).

[/FONT][h=1]G5 Electronic Flight Instrument for Certificated Aircraft[/h][h=2]Primary Attitude Indicator[/h][h=3]PART NUMBER: K10-00280-00[/h]
$2,149.00USD

• DG/HSI
  • Replaces traditional electromechanical instruments; can be configured in attitude, DG/HI/HSI and turn coordinator positions

• Bright, sunlight-readable 3.5” LCD color display, sized to fit standard 3-1/8” instrument cutout
  • Certified via approved model list (AML) for STC’d installation on more than 560 aircraft makes and models
  • Includes a 4-hour backup battery with battery status indicator
  • Dual G5 installation offers reversionary display capability plus the added redundancy of dual ADAHRS and dual backup batteries

HOW COOL IS IT THAT LESS THAN 10 YEARS AGO WE NEVER CONSIDERED HAVING AN EFIS AVAILABLE FOR OUR CUBS!!!!!!!!

Besides the harness connector, the install kit includes a mounting bracket which attaches to a standard 3-1/8" hole and accepts the G5.
Looks to me like it would be more than $50 worth of PITA to fabricate a substitute.
Like Eddie747, I thought it was BS for Garmin to sell the install kit separately but I suppose there's some sort of reasoning behind it.

It came to me that maybe it's so a person could buy two installation kits and one G5, then easily swap the G5 from one airplane to another in about 3 minutes. Duh.

You absolutely can install a G5 in your plane without going through any FAA approval process (other than the IA sign-off). The issue is that you don't want to pay for the version of the G5 that comes with the STC / Approval already done for you.....Yeah, I wish we could use the cheaper experimental version.....

IMHO you can install the non-STC'd version. I did, as a minor installation per FAA policy statement PS-ACE-23-08. Read it and decide for yourself if you can do the same thing.

https://www.faasafety.gov/spans/noticeView.aspx?nid=6203

Keep in mind that the Mini GA has a built in gps with a map page and updatable nav database.
It also has synvis and terrain/obstacles. No comparison between the two imho.

I believe that Avmap alsp sells a similar instrusment, with GPS & aviation database. Its in the Spruce catalog but not in the same section as the other EFIS stuff.

Over the past couple of weeks I've had the opportunity to fly the G5 in the new Super Legend HP factory demo plane.

After 30 hours of flying and putting a lot of folks in the front seat for demo flights at Sun'n Fun, I can say that I really like the functionality and layout of the unit and it was an easy transition for those who've only flown steam gauges. The airspeed does blank out at 20mph during departure stalls though ;-)

Daryl

I like the display of the Garmin G5 a lot, leaning towards the GRT GA because of the database and nav capabilities, I dont have anything to hook the G5 to to navigate with. The GRT display looks cartoonish in all the pictures I have found, are the screenshots on GRT page what it actually looks like?

Disregard, found a good pic of one, those must be drawings on the website making it look cartoonish.Looks diff from the Garmin but I like it, lot more features, worth the extra $400 and dont have to buy the install kit extra LOL. I even think it is MIA, wonder if Garmin is?

fe30708a5c8f8d4c1b2e9d709cd1a95f.jpg

Last edited:
Eddie, since you asked. http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/9837?gclid=CPPOxrPZp9MCFUGTfgodHIIOiw

The GDL39-3D communicates with Garmin Pilot and Foreflight. GP includes synthetic vision in the subscription. Foreflight adds a premium for syn vis. My subscription costs $75 per year and on my iDevices it updates automatically when updates are released. There are some features that don't work as well on Androids (you need to ask an Android user) but unlike Foreflight, it is supported for Androids. It also can link to some of Garmin's aviation GPS units giving them ADHRS functions, so if you use a GPS you can get your HSI or AH from that. Not trying to convince you or sway you, just answering your questions. I'm still interested why guys favor the other options mentioned previously.

I've been using a GDL 39 3D bluetoothed to a 796 and in 3D vision I find it is quite jumpy in pitch. Has anyone one else noticed this? The antenna needs to be as vertical as possible to help this but it is still too sensitive to be of real value.

I had a Dynon D1 and it was much more useful.

Researching these and found these quotes, they point to this thing called Stratux and a free app called Avare, I use Avare it's great and free, but I have never used Stratux but apparently works better than GDL

"Garmin didn't support me! It is sitting on a shelf behind me and a Stratux is running in the cockpit feeding Avare. Problem solved."

"I've owned many Garmins and currently every one of my vehicles has a Garmin GPS but they are very proprietary, and the GDL39 only works with their toys.

The Stratux costs way less and works with almost every app out there."

"Stratux that gives you ADS-B IN plus AHRS for less than $200 and will work with AVARE"

My understanding is the antenna on the GDLs is for ADS-B while the GPS antenna is internal. My antenna is usually laid back nearly horizontal and it works perfectly.

To the question, no, my iPad/iPhone/Garmin Pilot app have not been jumpy at all. Like I said earlier the HSI mimics my DG quite closely. My synthetic vision and AH screen are very accurate depictions of the view out front and my panel AH. I'm impressed every time I use it. I look forward to running the G3X though the paces next to the iPad and will use one of my cams to record it so I can compare them carefully. Initially I'll use the iPad as the reference to validate the G3X because it's a known entity.

These devices change fast, so take internet comments with that in mind. The Garmin GDL39-3D supports Garmin Pilot and Foreflight for ADHRS capability. It has for about a year.

My understanding is the antenna on the GDLs is for ADS-B while the GPS antenna is internal. My antenna is usually laid back nearly horizontal and it works perfectly.

To the question, no, my iPad/iPhone/Garmin Pilot app have not been jumpy at all.

That is good to hear. Maybe the 796 doesn't handle the data as well? In playing with mine though the jumpiness gets much worse with the adjustable antenna laid flat. Pitch and roll needs to be reset every 10-15 minutes.

I don't have a clue how these magic boxes work but your description centers on ADHRS. Is that a function of the GPS? I thought it's an added sensor in the 3D model. Maybe a call to Garmin would be worthwhile. You've made a multiple Garmin equipment purchase. It's reasonable to expect it to work.

That is good to hear. Maybe the 796 doesn't handle the data as well? In playing with mine though the jumpiness gets much worse with the adjustable antenna laid flat. Pitch and roll needs to be reset every 10-15 minutes.
I can no longer get Wx data to display from the GDL (sure glad I kept XM) on my 796 although the traffic works great. Called Garmin and not much help, suggested updating the firmware on the 796 and maybe on the GDL... I also have found that the ADHERS function on the 796 works better with the Garmin finger fully extended.

How large is that instrument?
If it's about the same as my Garmin G5, there's just way too much information displayed in a small space to suit me.
It is impressive how much is there, but I'd want the screen to be at least 5 x 5 or maybe even larger to avoid clutter.

GDLs require occasional updates. If you don't have the GDL 39 Utility app on your phone you need to get it. It's easier for us who bluetooth to iDevices but may be easily overlooked for 796 users (my iPhone and iPad are set to auto update when Garmin releases. I have to look at my GDL utility app to see if the GDL needs updating). In my Garmin experience problems are usually software related and the fault has been mine for not keeping them up to date.

Last edited:
GDLs require occasional updates. If you don't have the GDL 39 Utility app on your phone you need to get it. It's easier for us who bluetooth to iDevices but may be easily overlooked for 796 users (my iPhone and iPad are set to auto update when Garmin releases. I have to look at my GDL utility app to see if the GDL needs updating). In my Garmin experience problems are usually software related and the fault has been mine for not keeping them up to date.
Thanks Stewart, I'll try that.

Stratux that gives you ADS-B IN plus AHRS for less than $200 and will work with AVARE
According to the current "Stratux Status" page, AHRS is "In Development" but the work is not yet completed, so not available quite yet. Other than that, a Stratux device is an incredible bargain, and works with a myriad of EFBs, both iOS and Android. Good stuff!

Back