Thread: Official Information: 2017 Missouri Breaks Fly In - June 9 - 11

Post Thanks / Like

Official Information: 2017 Missouri Breaks Fly In - June 9 - 11

The 2017 Missouri Breaks Fly in will be Held June 9 - 11!

Folks, if you are planning on attending, it helps Ralph and crew to know you are coming. There is no fee, but here is the registration link! https://goo.gl/forms/dLgE9UVi2NAS2tIo1

Thanks!

sj
    Last edited by SJ; 05-17-2017 at 10:55 AM.
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------
    Thanks cubscout, FdxLou thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The identifier for the airport would help us clueless people.
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    The identifier for the airport would help us clueless people.
    There is a lot of info yet to come, Eddie! I will get with Ralph and Wendy to get things going here. Meanwhile.. https://www.airnav.com/airport/9S7

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    I know how to find an identifier. The search is 10 minutes of my life I will never get back.
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie
    10 minutes?
    You must still have dial up!
    Lou

Post Thanks / Like
    Carrier Pigeon.
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    OK....Here are the bare bones, take home info on the Breaks Portion of "Fat Tires and Campfires Week".

The “Breaks Flyin”. This is a contrasting and different experience to Johnson Creek. Our goal here is to support, feed, guide you and facilitate your enjoyment of one of the “last great places”; the Missouri Breaks. This area is mostly as Lewis and Clark found it 200 years ago. The town of Winifred is ca. 100 august souls who never met a stranger. The road comes into town, and cow trails depart out the back. No one is here by accident. It is a cow-town little changed in the 40 years I have lived here; it is much like the world used to be….we like it that way.

The flyin itself remains small with 20-25 aircraft on Friday nights (+ the 8 that live here) and we may see 30-40 drop in on Saturday dependent on the WX. Below is the bare bones schedule. There will be more information to follow.

9 June: Arrival anytime…get here early and we will put you to work, or explore the 7 strips in the Missouri Breaks National Monument. We feed you that night….Bar-b-q and fixins. It has been excellent. I would still like to pull off having this feed along side the Missouri River at the Heller bottom. This new strip is on private land and is the only place along the Wild and Scenic portions of Missouri River where you can legally land an airplane. If you are headed this way…keep checking this site and arrive in Winifred first…then got to Heller if that is where we are. This is all WX dependent.

10 June: Flight down the Judith River (named after Lewis’ girlfriend) breakfast at Lewistown flyin… or we could go to Russian Flats (the first new airstrip on USFS lands in 40 years…thanks RAF). Scrounge Lunch or head to Winifred Bar and Tavern…. Internationally famous hamburgers here…bring double doses of statins. Flyouts to Breaks strips and beyond. Dinner catered in the Hangar with many of your old friends.

11 June: Breakfast or departure on your schedule. You are also welcome to stay and explore.

Major changes:
    There is a 5 star hotel and steak house (weekends only) now open and the start-up management problems have been corrected, I am told. This is a spectacular place for Winifred…room rates $80-100 with one giant hot-tub multi-room suite for $150. It has been busy (repeatedly sold out on weekends) If you want a room call 406 462 5323 soon. They are currently fairly open for our weekend. There is one hostel room with about 10 single beds in it if you don’t want to camp and aren’t afraid of being shot in the middle of the night if you snore (This is Montana after all). There will more information forthcoming…. But if you want a fancy hotel room….better move. Vetterman already has a room.

More later…this should get you started …. Don’t hesitate to call.

406 350 5487 Ralph
    Thanks cubscout thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, Iflylower, OldCuby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking forward to it again Ralph.

A timely article about Winifred in the Missoulian newspaper this morning:

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and...1b5a38ea1.html
    Nicht der Ort fur mich.
    Likes cubscout, barbwire liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quick History Lesson: This is a photo I took today of Cow Island on the Missouri River, just upstream from Heller bottom strip.

When Lewis and Clark went through here the first time in 1805 they headed over the Rocky Mountains and arrived on the other side in very poor condition and not ready to travel or winter. The Nez Perce' Indians welcomed and saved them from starvation; they taught them and helped them build the doug-out canoes used to float the Columbia all the way to the coast. In 1806, on the return, the Nez Perce' welcomed them again and helped guide and outfit their return trip over the Rockys.

70 years later they were collected from their homelands and sent to a reservation from which they escaped and tried to find refuge in Canada. They traveled from N. Idaho, southeast to Yellowstone Country, and then back up through Central Montana crossing the the Missouri River (at this photo) after out-smarting and kicking the hell out of General Oliver Howard for 600 miles. Under Chief Joseph's leadership, they avoided most direct military conflict and made it north a few miles from this photo when the winter stopped him just short of the goal of refuge in Canada. North of Cow Creek air strip (confluence in this photograph) is the Chief Joseph Battlefield where he gave his famous speech:

Hear me, my chiefs. I am tired. My heart is sick and sad. From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever. ~Chief Joseph~

Joseph and his band were moved to Oklahoma for several years. He was welcomed to Washington DC as a celebrity and hero because of the courage and amazing tactics he had shown during his retreat. The public had become enamored with him and he was a great leader until his death. The Nez Perce were moved back to their homelands by Congress later.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3670.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	687.5 KB 
ID:	31326
    Last edited by centmont; 05-09-2017 at 11:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can hardly wait, Ralph! I'll be there to help out any way I can.
    windy

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, if you are coming to the Breaks please take a minute to sign up here! https://goo.gl/forms/dLgE9UVi2NAS2tIo1

sj
    Likes C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Will sign Lee and I up. We are planning on spending some time around the Black Hills the week before flying over to the Breaks for the weekend.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	J R Breaks.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	744.3 KB 
ID:	31416
    Judith Breaks: This place is GREEN We will be weed-wacking Heller Bottom Airstrip Saturday. Airplane/boat are the only way in there. Beautiful here now.
    "Entropy just isn't the same anymore"
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post
    Likes windy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Will sign Lee and I up. We are planning on spending some time around the Black Hills the week before flying over to the Breaks for the weekend.
    When will you be in the Black Hills? I will pass by there on my way to Winnifred. Have to see the Devil's Tower.
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey all, newbie around here and going to jump into the frey. Off to the "Breaks" from Tucson on June 8th. Should easily arrive on the 9th. Drawing a line on the map between the two places there looks to be opportunity for good places to camp on the 8th. Anyplace in particular? Nothing like showing up at a fly in to have everyone you meet ask if you stopped at this or that cool spot.....that I flew over and missed. If you know of these cool spots, I'm all ears.

After the "Breaks" weekend fun I'm looking for a place to stash my plane for a few days so I can take an airline out to Vegas, work Mon-Thurs then come back to get my plane and head west. (JC if it's not too late to sign up).

Post Thanks / Like
    Nokai Dome
    Commonly and erroneously called Nokia Dome
    36 16 43 N. 110 34 21 W

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	527.1 KB 
ID:	31419

Name:	IMG_0028.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	704.3 KB 
ID:	31420
    Last edited by Eddie Foy; 05-19-2017 at 06:40 AM.
    Eddie Foy
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    When will you be in the Black Hills? I will pass by there on my way to Winnifred. Have to see the Devil's Tower.
    Hope to head out Monday or Tuesday weather permitting.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Hope to head out Monday or Tuesday weather permitting.
    Should be in that area on Wed June 7th.
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    DemoDoll said: After the "Breaks" weekend fun I'm looking for a place to stash my plane for a few days so I can take an airline out to Vegas, work Mon-Thurs then come back to get my plane and head west. (JC if it's not too late to sign up).

There will be room in the Winifred Hangar and you are welcome, but you might be better off getting close to Billings, Bozeman, or GTF were you can catch your flight to Vegas. Look at the Allegiant Schedule for direct flights to Vegas. Look forward to meeting you.... Tucson will be a haul.... but beautiful !!
    www.TheCubWorks.com

Post Thanks / Like
    OK... several friends showed up to weed-whack Heller bottom for you guys. Weed-whack 1500 feet of runway!! God only knows what my next bar bill will be when I run into them again. Then, the head of our runway management through DOT shows up and adds another thousand feet with a lawn mower. If you can't land it on Heller now....you better go away.

I will be on the road until the night of the 6th June.... If you get here before that, make yourself at home. All kinds of food between the bar, and the grocery store. Camp were you want or in the hangar.

More PIREPS to follow.

Name:	Heller airplanes.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	671.1 KB 
ID:	31428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Start.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	641.7 KB 
ID:	31429Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finish Heller.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	702.9 KB 
ID:	31430
    www.TheCubWorks.com
    Thanks jrussl thanked for this post
    Likes windy, cubscout, SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking very nice Ralph! Thanks to you guys doing all of the hard work.

Do do you know what the status of the Hays MOA will be those fly-in days?
    Nicht der Ort fur mich.

Post Thanks / Like
    Small thread creep. Notice the fairings on the trailing edge of the landing gear.

N1PA