• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bass Pro in Springfield - worth a stop to look around!

sj

Staff member
Northwest Arkansas
Laura, Billy, and I Took a quick flight to Springfield, Mo yesterday to have lunch with an old friend from CT & TX who was in the area. After lunch, we stopped in the Bass Pro headquarters for about two hours - which is not anywhere near enough time! I don't have stock in this outfit, but if you are ever in the area it is truly a destination in itself - we did not even buy anything!

The level of detail in this place - from looking at the "underwater" ceiling and seeing boat bottoms and ducks feet sticking down, to the totally amazing NRA gun museum & Archery hall of fame is out of this world. The giant led screen outside projects images from the many live aquariums inside featuring, fish, turtles, and even alligators. As I said - don't plan to see it in two hours.

We did not eat there but hear the restaurants are quite good as well. In fact, in the older original location, the restaurant was nearly impossible to get into.

The "story" behind Bass Pro is a good one as well - click here

bass1.jpg
The bridge to the fishing / boating area. There were about two hundred fishing reels on display in one section. Too many choices for this simple mind!

bass2.jpg
I could not bear to look at some of the big stuffed animals - this guy was taken with a bow.

bass3.jpg
a not so grand picture of the grand entrance
bass4.jpg
Our friend Bill (being from Texas) wanted to make sure Laura got an Armadillo. This one is quite thirsty.

sj

P.S. We fly into 3DW and go to Springfield Flying Service at the end of the runway. Great place with great folks, reasonable fuel prices, and a I believe a courtesy car - although we have never used it.

Attachments

• bass1.jpg
    bass1.jpg
    586.4 KB · Views: 278
  • bass2.jpg
    bass2.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 258
  • bass3.jpg
    bass3.jpg
    331.4 KB · Views: 234
  • bass4.jpg
    bass4.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 251
No airplane hanging from the overhead?
I've heard that some of the Bass Pro Shops have those.
It seems to be kind of a standard thing for Cabelas.
The store in Marysville WA doesn't have one, but when I went into the first Cabelas store in Washington (Lacey)
just after they first opened about 10 years ago, there was a J3 with bushwheels hanging above the foyer just inside the entryway.
The guy at the door told me "that's a mock-up", but I didn't think so.
The giveaway was that it was painted about 3 different shades of "Cub Yellow"- just like a lot of real Cubs I've seen.
I looked up the tail number later & it showed as a J3 registered in NY.
They had it rigged somehow with an electric motor so that the prop turned all the time.

The Bass Pro in my area has a very beat up looking Cessna 120 hanging from the ceiling. What is most irritating about it is the prop is turning backwards.

I was in Branson to a conference a couple years ago and went to Bass Pro to kill a couple hours before the plane left. Sure is amazing. I got a cup of coffee at one of the cafes inside, and the elderly lady running it said her claim to fame is she used to work in the liquor store when Johnny sold his stuff there. She said the Morris family were great to work for

the only thing I wondered was if you could magically make all the stuff made in China disappear from the store for 1 minute, what would be left? There's a lot of it but that's a different story

jim

I was in Branson to a conference a couple years ago and went to Bass Pro to kill a couple hours before the plane left. Sure is amazing. I got a cup of coffee at one of the cafes inside, and the elderly lady running it said her claim to fame is she used to work in the liquor store when Johnny sold his stuff there. She said the Morris family were great to work for

the only thing I wondered was if you could magically make all the stuff made in China disappear from the store for 1 minute, what would be left? There's a lot of it but that's a different story

jim

Jim,
Let's get back on track here, we're supposed to be thinking X-Cub please repeat after me X-Cub, X-Cub.

The dept of war told me last night over a righteous margarita that Sport Cub, X Cub
there the same thing, the only thing I can buy is a pulled pork sandwich for you.
It was all downhill from there there. I might need your management skills at some point

iim

The BP in Memphis, now in the refurbished "Pyramid" has an indoor lake with all their boats in the water, not on trailers. The one north of Atlanta does have a PA 18 handing from the ceiling.

The dept of war told me last night over a righteous margarita that Sport Cub, X Cub
there the same thing, the only thing I can buy is a pulled pork sandwich for you.
It was all downhill from there there. I might need your management skills at some point

iim

Time for a New War Dept !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

It's their flagship/headquarters/first store. They put a lot of effort into that one. The gun museum is my favorite. Pretty cool to have lunch in front of a monster aquarium too. Never enough time to see it all.

Back