Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My cub rebuild...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Does Randy make a CF map pocket for the front kick panel?

Glenn
    Yes he does!

Likes Greg Campbell, Jim Hann liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    I'd do this as well.....or, what I did on my 11 seat back was I simply wrapped it in Poly Fiber and shrunk it good and tight. Very light and it is very solid. My motivation was a little different, however, in that I have a bad back, and my back just pushes right through those springs and gives me a curved spine....bad medicine. The fabric is super light, and so far after a couple years, seems to be holding up fine. In any case if it ever fails, I'll just wrap it again. Simple, quick and probably lighter than anything else.

MTV
    This is an excellent idea for another reason. For those of us who have long legs this would provide another inch or more of leg room.
    N1PA
    Likes WanaBNACub, MarkS liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It will be a very nice and clean cub.

Thank you for sharing info and pics. Futur buiders will like it.

Continu your good work!
    Likes WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots of little stuff done in the past few days. Doesnt look like a lot of progress, but the little stuff is what seams to take the most time. Got all the wiring ran for the tail light and beacon, ELT mounted and wiring ran, trim pieces formed and ready for paint. Panel raised and new boot cowl piece over the panel for stick clearance, and Ipad mount in. Should start Fabric tomorrow or monday...

Likes Steve Pierce, Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you going to run power to the back seat? Hold down for the rear stick cover? Just thinking of ways to slow ya down.
    DENNY

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! Thanks for reminding me...

Likes Olibuilt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am going away from the standard map pocket on the left hand side for a little more versatile storage on both sides in between the tubes and the boot cowl. Will be able to put a quart of oil, bottle of water, glove and hat in winter, and anything I need to be able to access while flying in there. I am going to also put some kind of net material pocket underneath them for other secure storage.

Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post
    Likes cubpilot2, Hardtailjohn, Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Storage in a Cub is a must. I really like my wing root storage. Use it on every long flight. From sandwich to frozen walleye.

Thanks tedwaltman1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very nice Oli! I use the open front hoop in my wing root for storage now, and I though about adding more space up there. I really like yours!

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots done in this past week with the help of my buddy Jim who just got back from a 6 month deployment. I cut and installed my two carbon fiber wing root panels and then we tore into the engine. It is all dissasembled and the case and crank have been sent out. All electrical wiring ran that needed to be done before fabric, and I started on the fabric work. I hope to have that done and ready for silver in the next week. Then recover the last wing and start working towards assembly until the engine parts all get in. I have a few parts and instruments on order before I can get going much further on the panel.

More beautiful Carbon Concepts parts. New wing root panels since I am moving all the electrical out of there and into the panel.

This was pre-teardown. Very little damage was evident looking it over from the outside. Hopefully inside will follow that trend!

Judging by the bearing wear and a few other issues it appears that it was not properly rebuilt last time it was majored... It will be this time!

Cam and crank were in decent shape, but the cylinders needed a little attention and they were orange stripes, so I elected to go with new cylinders while its apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fabric work done so far. The bottom and left side of the fuselage are on and preshrunk. Hope to get the right side on tues and then begin the taping.

Likes NC2252M, flylowslow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You mentioned that bearing wear and some other things indicated that it hadn't been majored properly.
    Would you mind sharing what you saw? Always looking to learn.
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    The buildup in several areas of the case for the amount of hours, along with uneven wear on the bearings mainly. Caused my IA to believe that the case halves weren't done at the last major.

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you thinking that they were not torqued properly or not "reworked" as in sending them to Divco in Tulsa for surfacing?
    How many hours?
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Not sent in for surfacing. The motor had 560 hours

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no requirement for resurfacing the crank case halves unless there is evidence that they had been fretting.
    N1PA
    Likes WanaBNACub, cubpilot2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Had to take a break for my daughters wedding and some other life interuptions with finals, and now summer classes, but I am still at it, and now able to spend a few more hours a day than in the past. Hope to have it done in a month, but there is still plenty to do. A quick update on the engine, the bearings were heavily fretted with only 563 hours, and the crank was cracked. Hopefully by the end of the week next week we will have all the engine parts in and start on that. The fabric is complete on all surfaces but the one wing that was undamaged. I decided to go ahead and do that for the experience and to make the whole cub match, and new again... The fuselage is in silver with all of the wet sanding done, and I started repairing the nose bowl, boot cowl, cowling, and cargo pod fiberglass work. Hoping to have it done in a month or less...

Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Spokane Felts Field, WA/Poplar Grove, (Chicago) IL
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good. She is gonna be a beauty. Thanks for posting.

Bill
    Very Blessed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think your doing a great job and am sure its going to be beautiful when you get done. Hang in there you will be back in the air before you know it.

Jon

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a long time since I have posted any updates. I have been busting my butt trying to get this project done before the whole summer blows by me. It hasn't been cooperating with me lately though... I made the decision that I would go ahead and recover the "good" wing as well since I am looking to gain fabric experience. My old wing had quite a few flaws in it from the last rebuild so that helped with the decision...

There were 7 or 8 paint runs in it and quite a bit of ringworm

After stripping the fabric I found a couple other issues, missing wingtip bow braces, missing hardward on one of the flap brackets and some stripped screws. I also wanted to install the atlee outboard tie down, so I was glad I made that decision.

Its starting to get a little easier. I was able to do the whole fabric job on this wing by myself. I am really starting to enjoy the build as it progresses.

Last edited by WanaBNACub; 07-04-2017 at 07:44 PM.
    Thanks stknrddr thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I also finished the repair on the belly pod. That saved me a big expense and turned out satisfactory!

While I was at it, I fixed the damage in both cowling halves. and got them ready for paint.

Taping and polybrush done on the wing, time to move on to other tasks...

Started fabricating the baggage doors

Started laying out the panel and fitting the instruments

And removed the springs from the seat replacing it with fabric to save a little more weight.

Likes nightflyer, CamTom12, Jim Hann liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This day has been a long time coming! This was the first time I have ever painted an airplane so I was a little intimidated when my IA handed me the gun and said get to it. His advice was definitely a big help!

Its not flawless, but I am really happy with the results! Much better than it was from the last rebuild!

My gear legs, AOSS and other misc pieces came in, so time to start putting them together. With the help of a my gunsmith with his cnc mill I designed a little lighter weight long step

My cabane v is not back from powdercoat yet along with the wing parts, so I put a temporary in there for now.

Its nice to see it back on its feet!

Now its time to move on to the wiring and panel install... My favorite!

This actually went smoother than I thought it would...

This is as far as I can go with it for now. I am missing a few pieces out of the CGR-30P kit so it had to get straightened out. I decided to get back to the baggage door fabrication.

I have a feeling those are going to be the best mods I did on the plane! So easy to get things in and out!

And then on to paint!

Pretty happy with the results

Likes CamTom12, 180Marty, Chicken Hawk, Jim Hann liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    And this get me caught up to where I am today. This week I did quite a few little tedious tasks while my IA had the paint booth tied up, and then I got the tail feathers finished. Hopefully by the end of the week or first of next week I will get going on painting the wings.

Got the brake lines in

Turn and bank ball installed and leveled

SIRS compass installed and surprisingly accurate for a panel mount compass. My old one was not at all reliable...

Rear wing root panels fabbed, painted and installed

And now the silver on the tail feathers.

After a day of wet sanding it was on to the paint that I finished up late last night.

The rudder is staying white, so I laid the gloss coat. I forgot to take a pic of the red tail feathers after the final coat and cleanup so I will have to get that tomorrow. This is after the second color coat.

I also got the cabane v back from Mark Bills so that got installed while I waited for paint to dry in between coats...

Post Thanks / Like
    Great job! One suggestion if I may, you might want to consider swapping positions of your airspeed indicator and altimeter, that way the airspeed indicator is in your line of sight when looking straight ahead or to the left in most landing patterns. Just a thought.

Kurt

Post Thanks / Like
    Ive gone back and forth on that... I had it over there when I put the first hole there. But prior to the rebuild they were in these positions and I got use to flying it that way. That is why they are there. I still might change my mind though...

Post Thanks / Like
    I would give it some strong consideration. It will take you about 10 minutes if that to get used to the new location and then you will be glad you did it. Although it may not seem like it, looking down quickly in a scan, its a long way to the airspeed indicator if it stays where you have it now. Trust me on this, move it up
    Likes WanaBNACub, RaisedByWolves, Colorguns liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The tail feathers are dry and installed and I was able to get them partially rigged. Going to finish them in the morning and hopefully get the wings set up ready to spray poly brush and silver on Monday.

Thanks flylowslow thanked for this post
    Likes Mush, CamTom12, Colorguns, Jim Hann liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Made some more progress over the weekend through today. The wings are now in white and ready to be masked off for red on the tops and leading edges. Hopefully the crank will be in this week and I can get started putting the engine together. Also waiting on a new CGR-30p. The previous one was configured wrong...

Thanks Steve Pierce thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Beautiful re-do. If you use panel light dimmers, be sure you put the CGR on its own (it doesn't play well with others) and you're better off if you buy theirs, it saves arguements. Otherwise ENJOY!

Kirby
    "Don't feed the hipsters"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDCROWE View Post
    Beautiful re-do. If you use panel light dimmers, be sure you put the CGR on its own (it doesn't play well with others) and you're better off if you buy theirs, it saves arguements. Otherwise ENJOY!

Kirby
    I put it on the dimmer they provided and it is still wonky. I don't fly at night, though! Had enough to last me till I croak.
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, and thanks for the tip. We were just talking about a panel dimmer and an led light strip to light up the panel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wings are done and I started on the glass and a few other tasks. Waiting on the crank and one more instrument to show up so I can get the boot cowl on, put the stripes on build the engine and start putting everything together. Its starting to look like a plane again!

Likes CamTom12, nightflyer, Riverking liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great. A note on Lexan windows, almost impossible to punch your way out of if there is a next time.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes mike mcs repair, WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Also a good topic to think about. Thanks! The side slider windows are acrylic and break relatively easy. If I cant get out through there, hopefully I would be able to get out the door. The rest of the windows would be difficult to get out through. My new cargo door would be the easiest opening to get out through. Not sure how easy the aluminum would be to break open from the inside but cant imagine it would be too difficult.
    Last edited by WanaBNACub; 07-16-2017 at 08:39 PM.

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WanaBNACub View Post
    Also a good topic to think about. Thanks! The side slider windows are acrylic and break relatively easy. If I cant get out through there, hopefully I would be able to get out the door. The rest of the windows would be difficult to get out through. My new cargo door would be the easiest opening to get out through. Not sure how easy the aluminum would be to break open from the inside but cant imagine it would be too difficult.
    the fish spotters didn't like Lexan... problematic with polarized glasses...

Post Thanks / Like
    My left triangle window is evidently Lexan because it jacks with me when wearing sun glasses.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes mike mcs repair, WanaBNACub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I gave up wearing polarized sunglasses and had to get a new pair of sunglasses for flying because of that. I can imagine fish spotting would be a little more difficult through lexan...

Post Thanks / Like
    Why polycarbonate? That decision surprised me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mostly weight savings. I went with thinner stuff on the top/rear and door/window glass since polycarbonate is stronger. I welded tabs in place in the center of the top and rear glass to hold it in place and limit vibration. Also like that it doesn't crack near as easy where ever we had to drill it.

Post Thanks / Like
    We'll have to compare your polycarb to my acrylic in a year or so, to see how they compare after a year of rain, snow, dust, etc. I don't have a clue if one has an advantage but it'd be good to know.

The plane's looking good. How much interior/panel stuff is left to do?
    Likes cubpilot2 liked this post