• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Another Restricted Area Proposed in Alaska

Thanks for the heads up on that, that area is already a nightmare to maneuver through...

I would not want to be restricted to flying over Donnelly Dome with a south wing blowing from Isabell Pass. Most south flow follows the Delta River but mechanical turbulence follows terrain. The new R-areas are over or near traditional airborne drop zones and ABM intercept missile sites.

GAP

There is also another one for soon to be public noticed I think to the north of the highway. That one will choke down flying to nothing.

Please, everyone here, help and comment. This is a situation where we need support from the entire flying community, including those rascals from Oklahoma, that have helped so much recently.

If you ever want to fly to Alaska, this will affect you.

I'll write in, that area can really be sporty when the WX starts going down unforecasted. I don't fly it very often and wouldn't have wanted to be worrying airspace along with everything else happening. Thanks for the notice.

What are the proposed hours of operation? Is this for everyday use or mostly Red Flag Alaska?
What new operations need? RPV, UAV, UCAV, autonomous drones? Seems like a big airspace grab in a shrinking military.

As a former restricted airspace user, I don't get it.

Jake

Sent from my SM-G930V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Tom George, AK AOPA rep, stated in the pilot meeting that the Army wants to do weapons release from helicopters and that requires closed airspace. Specifics about the management of the proposed area wasn't defined. The surrounding MOAs, much of that area new, are active 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday thru Friday and other times by NOTAM. The MOA expansion doesn't take effect until October.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or..._units/systemops/fs/alaskan/advisories/suais/

Tom George, AK AOPA rep, stated in the pilot meeting that the Army wants to do weapons release from helicopters and that requires closed airspace. Specifics about the management of the proposed area wasn't defined. The surrounding MOAs, much of that area new, are active 7:00 AM to 5:00 PM Monday thru Friday and other times by NOTAM. The MOA expansion doesn't take effect until October.

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or..._units/systemops/fs/alaskan/advisories/suais/

Still think that they need to find a different area. Lots of lower 48 pilots use that area, as do we locals when headed places.

I have probably 50-100 hours flying in the restricted areas south and west of Delta, just call Greely tower and ask if they are not hot, if they are not, you can go right through. Most of the time they are also broadcasting when it is hot on the Freq in the AK supplement.

I have probably 50-100 hours flying in the restricted areas south and west of Delta, just call Greely tower and ask if they are not hot, if they are not, you can go right through. Most of the time they are also broadcasting when it is hot on the Freq in the AK supplement.
But when it is hot, you're screwed if this goes through. MTV

Back