• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Can PA-18 struts be cut down for a certified Clip Wing Cub?

AirPigz

Warsaw, Indiana
I'm restoring N9460D a 1959 PA-18A, and I have new lifetime sealed struts for it. I was planning to sell the old struts, which are in good shape (only one rear is lifetime sealed) if I could find a buyer, but I also have connections to a Clip Wing Cub project without struts and wondered if I should just keep the PA-18 struts for that project.

Anyone know if it's legal to use PA-18 struts on a certified Clip Wing Cub?

Martt Clupper
Warsaw, Indiana
N9460D

I did a quick search for the actual Reed STC procedure details but didn't find anything, but I did see at http://home.xcountry.tv/~dann/id76.htm that the struts on a CWC are larger than standard Cub struts, but no specifics given.

The PA-18 struts would be much stronger and more streamlined (as mentioned above) so it seems like a great idea, especially when you have a set of struts ready to cut down like I do.

I tried to join the J-3 forum but can't get the registration process to work... I'm guessing there are some people with the answers over there. I'll get in there when I can.

Lastly, when I was a teen back on the late 70's we had a C-90 powered Clipped Wing Cub and it was the most fun ever. And, in the last year I've become friends with Mike Finney who built a nearly perfect C-90 CWC from Wag Aero plans. I've flown his airplane and it's just absolutely fantastic! It's just the best blend of nostalgia, sporty cheap thrills, and open door flying fun. Here's Mike's CWC:

Finney CWC In Grass 1.1000px.jpg

Martt
Warsaw, Indiana
N9460D
1959 PA-18A

Attachments

• Finney CWC In Grass 1.1000px.jpg
    Finney CWC In Grass 1.1000px.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 186
One thing to keep in mind is the size of the strut forks. You would have to make sure they fit on the small j3 brackets. I know the larger sealed struts forks won't. A PA 11 strut would be a better fit

One thing to keep in mind is the size of the strut forks. You would have to make sure they fit on the small j3 brackets. I know the larger sealed struts forks won't. A PA 11 strut would be a better fit

That's definitely one of the things I'm curious about. I measured a J-3 and found the distance between the strut attach holes to be about 7/8" center to center, and the PA-18 is 1". But, CWC struts attach at a wider angle since they are much shorter, which might cause more trouble at the forks, tho it does give more clearance between the struts themselves.

Bigger forks complicate things for sure, but non-sealed would be an option for the first few years to defer the cost of new sealed struts for a while.

Ultimately I'm hoping to find out if someone knows for certain if PA-18 struts can work on a certified Clipped Wing Cub, and if there's an 'easy' legal path for it.

Martt

I rebuilt this Clipped Wing Cub for Todd Peterson last year and it has the big forks and I don't remember any issues with them.
ef51c97fe1a0beb47b6f860ac982ad71.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I rebuilt this Clipped Wing Cub for Todd Peterson last year and it has the big forks and I don't remember any issues with them.
ef51c97fe1a0beb47b6f860ac982ad71.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Sure looks great. Interesting to note that the large forks caused no troubles. I won't need the CWC struts for a year or so, but I'm hoping I can clarify all this so I know if I should hang on the the PA-18 struts or try to sell them.

Martt

Don't look for large forks on Mike Finney's exp category cub. You will find he fabricated the fuselage end in a weldment on the front and only uses a fork on the rear. Mike built the perfect clip wing in my opinion. Toe brakes too for you heel brake haters.

Don't look for large forks on Mike Finney's exp category cub. You will find he fabricated the fuselage end in a weldment on the front and only uses a fork on the rear. Mike built the perfect clip wing in my opinion. Toe brakes too for you heel brake haters.

Indeed, Mike made a cool front strut end, I've looked it over closely.

I was raised on heel brakes and really like them, so I found his toe brakes to be more in the way... but his airplane is as close to prefect as you can get!

Back