• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lycoming engine prices

silflexer

Just read this, may have a significant impact on all aspects of engine building/rebuilding if it is true.

"http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Lycoming-Rolls-Back-Prices-on-Engine-Parts-228621-1.html"

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Lycoming-Rolls-Back-Prices-on-Engine-Parts-228621-1.html
Notice the nice picture of the Super Cub moored on glassy water. Just a hint for those of you who moor their Cubs. Tie the elevators down rather than up and leave the flaps up. When the wind blows you want the nose to go down rather than up to destroy the lift on the wings. The plane in this picture can easily be destroyed if there is a big blow. Also if you connect a line to BOTH float bows the nose will be pointed directly into the wind rather than trying to roll the plane with the wind from one side.

Notice the nice picture of the Super Cub moored on glassy water. Just a hint for those of you who moor their Cubs. Tie the elevators down rather than up and leave the flaps up. When the wind blows you want the nose to go down rather than up to destroy the lift on the wings. The plane in this picture can easily be destroyed if there is a big blow. Also if you connect a line to BOTH float bows the nose will be pointed directly into the wind rather than trying to roll the plane with the wind from one side.

When I moored mine I did it by the prop like they do at Kosh

Glenn

When I moored mine I did it by the prop like they do at Kosh

Glenn
I've seen that method used. I've also seen planes jerked around in a big blow when moored. I don't think that I would want whatever is behind the prop to be stressed with those loads. Besides it is better for the tie down location to be lower on the CG in order to pull the nose down. Up high at the prop is more like flying a kite.

I doubt I would spend $5K on a new crankcase when I can get one overhauled for $700 or a yellow tagged one for less than $2K. Hopefully they dropped the price on the parts we replace at overhaul.

Besides it is better for the tie down location to be lower on the CG in order to pull the nose down. Up high at the prop is more like flying a kite.
Just the opposite, if I understand you correctly. Consider the angle the rope makes with the plane in each case - -

Just the opposite, if I understand you correctly. Consider the angle the rope makes with the plane in each case - -

Scope and chain. The anchor is to hold the chain from slipping, the chain is to hold the moored vessel. You put out lots of chain and scope, (slack) so the angle of pull on the chain and eventually anchor is very low. The chain works as a spring or bungee keeping the vessel from getting jerked as it hits the end of the scope, (slack).

You can read up on anchoring boats for more on this.

I like to moor from the bow cleats for short duration, but if I am going to be in rough water and can not get ashore and sink the floats in shallows I use the front of the N strut to tie to in a bridle. keeps the plane stable but lets it rock on waves without jerking.

Back