• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Remember the Day you Solo'ed? Share Your Memory With Us

January 5th, 1974. A week after my 14th birthday. Yes, that is a stocking cap in my hand. Harvey Young Airport, in Tulsa, OK. Bill Watson was my initial instructor and Jim Rhine finished me up.
First Solo2.jpg

June 5th, 1988. First Stearman solo. I think I was more nervous about this event that when I was 14 years old, flying the glider. Bartlesville, OK. My Dad was my instructor. At this point in my life, I had a Commercial, Multi, Instrument and hundreds of hours of simple TW time. Yet his comments as he was leaving the cockpit went something like. "The winds are light and down the runway. Take it around the patch. If you bounce the landing, don't try to save it, just go around and try it again. You have plenty of fuel. Oh yeah.....if you break it, you just bought it." LOL. Wonderful memories that are etched in my mind.
Stearman Solo - June 5th 1988.jpg

Yes, I had a very blessed childhood.
- Brad

Attachments

• First Solo2.jpg
    First Solo2.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 188
  • Stearman Solo - June 5th 1988.jpg
    Stearman Solo - June 5th 1988.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 167
Brad's Stearman experience mirrors the first flight in my Pitts S1C. No choice but to get in an go. My mentor said the same thing as Brad's dad, you have a full tank so if you mess-up approach or bounce the landing, go around.......good advice after 1 hour or many.

My "first" solo was in a TH-55 helicopter, back in 1978. My IP was Harry Rotowalt, who we called "Rotorwash" – but not to his face! Mr. Rotowalt was a somewhat older gentleman. To a bunch of 20-year old kids, he seemed to be about 85 years old, and was about 85 lbs of solid gristle and bone – probably one of the toughest old coots I ever met! Anyway, after about 10 hours of dual time in the TH-55, we were at the Hanchey stage field just outside Ft Rucker, Alabama. We landed a bit early for the usual student exchange, and I just assumed he was fed up with me, because nothing I did that day was good enough for him. Then he surprised me by unbuckling his seat belt, turning to me, and yelling over the engine/rotor noise: "Well, you've been trying to kill me all day, so I'm out of here! Now go do three circuits and come back here. And try not to kill yourself!" Then he started to back out of the cockpit, but leaned back in, looked me in the eye and said "You've got this!" and walked away. It was the first (and probably only) time he gave me even a hint that he thought I might make a pilot, LOL...

I remember being more surprised at the lateral CG change with his scrawny butt not in that left seat (helicopters typically are flown from the right seat) than I was about any dramatic increase in performance. I did three good patterns each ending with a nice soft landing, and hovered back over to pick him up. He climbed back in, and uttered the only comment I would ever get from him about my solo flight: "Get out, it's the next guy's turn!" Crusty old coot!

My most vivid memory of Mr. Rotowalt, however, was the day he was flying with one of our bigger student pilots (and ex-football player), and the guy froze on the pedals during a practice autorotation. Mr. Rotowalt shoved that left pedal so hard that it actually broke off the cast-aluminum pedal. To this day, I have no idea how that 85-lb old man managed to overpower a 200-lb ex-football player on those pedals, using only the "stub" left over when the pedal broke off, but he did and they landed (barely) safely. Mr. Rotowalt looked even older after that flight, and the football jock got to ride home on the bus that day...

My "second" solo was at Ft Ord, CA (KOAR - now Marina Municipal since they closed the base). I had joined the Ft Ord Flying Club to pursue fixed-wing flying after returning from a tour in Korea. The club had a couple of Grumman Tigers in the rental fleet that I really liked, and rented for training most of the time. My instructor was Jack Tetrick (COL, USAF, retired). Truly a great instructor and an even better guy. We'd flown about 5-6 hours together, and landed at Watsonville where we did a couple of full-stop landings and a go-around. The next time we landed, he said "Drop me off over at the FBO and go fly this thing around the pattern for a while. Do 3-4 circuits and then come get me." No biggie, since this wasn't my "real" first solo... Like everyone else, I was pretty impressed with the climb performance without Jack on board, but I swear I could hear his voice in my head as I flew the first pattern and did a great landing (one of the best I'd ever done), taxied back and took off for round 2.

Everything was great, and as I flared to land, I could hear Jack's voice in my ear: "Keep that nose up - hold it - hold it..." and then I was slow enough that the elevator could not keep it in the air any longer. Instead of the usual slight 'chirp' as the nose wheel touched down, I heard a horrible "grinding" noise as the nose dropped considerably lower than normal. I was afraid the nose gear was collapsing, so I killed the engine (mixture off, throttle ICO, mags off) as the airplane came to a screeching halt right in the middle of the runway. As I was exiting the aircraft (which was definitely sitting nose-low), I could see Jack running toward me, followed by 3-4 other guys from the FBO building. I climbed down off the wing, and I could see that the nose wheel was sitting at about a 45-degree angle to the fork. Seems the mechanic back at Ft Ord had replaced the nose tire, and forgotten to put the cotter key in the axle bolt. The bolt was also installed backwards, and instead of the wheel rotation tending to "tighten" the bolt, it was slowly loosening the nut, which finally came off. The bolt apparently had backed out just enough to allow the wheel to twist in the fork, and the side-load broke the welds that held it to the axle. We could not budge it. The "locals" from the EAA chapter brought out a little red wagon, and we lifted the nose and set it in the wagon bed so we could clear the runway. Jack has his wife come get us to take us back to Ft Ord so my wife would not get upset, and the mechanic drove over with a new wheel/tire/bolt/axle/cotter-pin to fix the plane. In all the excitement, we completely forgot that it was my first solo, until well after the event...

To this day, I check the security of landing gear bolts before every flight!

JumParker. Back in 1954, I was born at Ft Ord. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

...we were at the Hanchey stage field just outside Ft Rucker, Alabama.

Jim, I've got a ton of time out of Hanchey!

When I went through, you "soloed" with your stick buddy in the left seat. We'd get to the airfield (TH-67s), do a couple of patterns and the IP would hop out, your stick buddy would move from the back seat to the left seat, and you'd do 3 patterns and that was that.

The first time I was ever truly alone in an aircraft was when I was flying my airplane from Soldotna to Lake Hood right after I bought it. Once I got airborne and on course I settled in and it hit me that I had never been truly solo before! Kind of a neat feeling.

Soloed on 16th birthday 1959 in a J-3 at Waukesha, Wisconsin where I had already worked as a lineboy for two years. Was pretty routine until second time around the patch an airport bum in a PT 19 flew up close to me on downwind leg and did an aileron roll right next to me! I was lucky to have excellent instructors harland sedgwick, Dale Crites, and Bill Kohler. 30 Years later I would be back to run the FBO there and B airport manager....

I soloed when I was 16, on 7-31-1970, less than 2 weeks from being 17. I was taking lessons in Cessna 150's at Northland Aviation at Anoka County airport, ANE. For some reason for which I can't remember, I show 2 separate lessons that morning, my log book shows the first one was maneuvers and the second one as touch and go's. I know I was having problems with cross winds and later that day I came back and we went up to Forrest Lake airport, which had a grass runway that was more aligned into the wind and did some practice there before he soloed me.
It was the first time I flew off grass and at that particular airport too. I do remember that on downwind I lost sight of the runway for a second or two because it blended into the other grass fields surrounding the strip.
When we got back I got a congratulations from some guy in the office, they never did the shirt tail thing.

An overcast day in January 1958 in an Aeronca Champ. It leaped off the ground without the instructor, and I remember looking in the back seat seeing it empty while on down wind. When I was taxing back for a second trip around the pattern, someone in a T-6 buzzed low overhead so I parked the plane not wanting to be in the air with him around. The following week my instructor wasn't available so another went up with me. At the end he said I'll show you how to get down in a hurry and he promptly entered a multi turn spin. Scared the bleep out of me. When I told my instructor what had been done he spent some time teaching me spins with a total time of 10 hours in my log. I have never seen nor even heard of that other instructor since.

Interestingly, many years later a fellow showed up at my seaplane base with that very same Champ on floats. He let me take it for a flight. Boy, what a dog with only an A-65 for power. He later went through the ice with it while on skis. Hmm, I wonder where that plane is today?

EDIT PS,
I'll add to this story something which I have found amusing. I earned my Private during the summer between grades 11 and 12. While in the 11th grade there was a science fair where we had to produce an entry in order to pass physics. So I whipped up a quickie autopilot demonstration with an old string pull gyro on a gimbal on a piece of scrap wood with a moving elevator at the back. The judges, one of whom was the superintendent of schools were so fascinated that I had soloed an airplane that they awarded me the first grand prize of the entire fair. What a joke, there were other projects which were far more worthy than mine. I lost a lot of respect for educators after that.

Last edited:
Clinton County Airport, Plattsburgh, NY Feb or Mar of 1976, Cessna 150 while stationed at Plattsburgh AFB. I got my pilot's license as a gift to myself for my 20th birthday. I don't recall anything especially exciting about it other than being a check-mark on the road towards a lifetime of fun in aviation. Later that year after I had my ticket I got about 45 minutes of tailwheel instruction in a Champ from a family friend before he turned me loose with his Champ. That was much more exciting to me than my first solo.

-Cub Builder

I soloed last fall on the 29th of October at the Mack airstrip West of Grand Junction Co in my SuperCub. at the age of 54. I have been around small planes all of my life however never had the time or the finances to take flight lessons. I have a very patient instructor who did not push me to solo before I had gained the confidence and skill needed to safely solo. It was a non event with three decent takeoff and landings.
Two weeks later I flew my first solo cross country from Grand Junction to Cortez. The highlight for that flight was meeting up with my 75 year young dad flying his J-5 along the way back home. He was thrilled to be a part of my first cross country flight. His first cross country flight would have been in 1972 from Homer to Anchorage with him assisting in a rescue along the way, but that is another story.IMG_2529-1.jpgFirst solo landing.

Attachments

• IMG_2529-1.jpg
    IMG_2529-1.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 194
10-3-73 DXR, Danbury CT. Worked as a line boy at Danbury Airways, aways arranged for a 1968 Cherokee 140 62U to be available. I kept it clean and polished nice green and white. Great instructor Bobby Wilson, promised me a ride in his nicely restored Ryan PT-22, moved on before I got the chance.

Ha! That's perfect Eddie. The A-10 cannon always reminds me of comic book heroes like Nick Fury with the cigar sticking out of the side of his mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Great instructor Bobby Wilson, promised me a ride in his nicely restored Ryan PT-22, moved on before I got the chance.
I'm sorry that you missed your ride in a fantastic airplane. This reminds me of a story. Early in my career I worked for a couple of old timers who taught me a lot about aviation. Part of my regular activities was to take the old station wagon pulling a trailer to various locations to retrieve airplanes, mostly wrecks. I averaged one a month for several years. One of these trips was to Linden NJ where there was a PT-22 sitting forlorn out in the weather without two rear landing wires. I hauled it home to GBR where we recovered the wings and threw on a coat of Dulux. Then I was given the assignment of test flying it. The situation was you fixed it you fly it. It didn't matter whether or not I had ever flown whatever it was before, I did it. That PT-22 was one of the most fun airplanes that I had flown. Built like the proverbial brick outhouse. My boss paid $800 for it. :onfire:
If you ever get another chance to fly in a PT-22, grab it and enjoy. Ta-Pocit-Ta, Ta-Pocit-Ta, Ta-Pocit-Ta, Ta-Pocit-Ta. Love that Kinner sound!

The old Chief Pilot at Air New England had one in the early 70's. One day he offered my a ride after a DC-3 training session. The most memorable thing was the sound of that engine...I can still recall it like it was yesterday.

10-3-73 DXR, Danbury CT. Worked as a line boy at Danbury Airways, aways arranged for a 1968 Cherokee 140 62U to be available. I kept it clean and polished nice green and white. Great instructor Bobby Wilson, promised me a ride in his nicely restored Ryan PT-22, moved on before I got the chance.
I have another Danbury story which can be told another day. I had an engine failure in a 250 Comanche when directly overhead. Luck was shining on me that day. :)

It is still the most memorable day of all of my flying... It was New Years Eve, 2012. I had 12.1 hours of dual since the beginning of Dec and was struggling to get flying time in. Dec in Alaska is not the ideal time to be learning to fly I guess. On that particular day the weather was spectacular. Pretty sunny, dead calm and fairly mild temps from the previous few days. When we landed at Willow my instructor said he was having problems with his headset and needed me to pull of the strip for a second. He got out and pulled his headset out and said to just take it for a spin while he tries to figure it out... Takeoff was incredibly short compared to all the previous, but I am not sure if I have ever been more nervous in my life than my first landing by myself... 3 landings later he waived me back over and said, "Take me back to Wasilla, my job is done for now..." It was a pretty surreal flight home that day!

564877_4185523919267_1771746332_n.jpg

This was the takeoff from Wasilla with the instructor in the back for the last time for a little while...

735468_4185524479281_1775990429_o.jpg

And this was a whole lot lighter takeoff a short time later!

574936_4189336494579_792609339_n.jpg

650 hours later there are only a few experiences that have come close to it!

Does anyone know why instructors often limit the initial solo to 3 takeoffs and landings? Same thing happened when I recently soloed in Gyro. I thought it was good time to end on successful solo experience. Felt good for next dual lesson knowing I could solo.

We were already at 1.5 hours by the time I did my 3 and we made it back. I dont think they are limited to 3 though.

I was 36 when I soloed...Have tried to make up for lost time by flying 300 hours a year since.

Darylplane.JPGSoloshirt.JPG

Attachments

• Soloshirt.JPG
    Soloshirt.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 150
  • Darylplane.JPG
    Darylplane.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 158
If you dont wreck 1st landing you were lucky. If you didnt wreck on your 2nd landing it was just a coinsidence. If you didnt wreck on 3d landing you probably had a handle on things. Just my opinion.

Does anyone know why instructors often limit the initial solo to 3 takeoffs and landings? Same thing happened when I recently soloed in Gyro. I thought it was good time to end on successful solo experience. Felt good for next dual lesson knowing I could solo.

The first student I soloed as a CFI, I told him to go do three touch and goes. He took me literally and did three touch and goes, which resulted in the need for a fourth landing...I have been more careful with my words ever since.;-)

If I remember right, the date was Sunday, November7, 1976. I had gotten up early and headed to the airport to meet my flight instructor. When I got to the airport, Tom told me to pull N40858 out of the hanger. N40858 was a red and white 1974 Piper Warrior. I did a preflight and then Tom and I crawled in, started the engine and taxied to 31 for take-off.

We left the pattern and went out and practiced stalls and slow flight. After a half hour or so Tom had me head back to the airport and we did a couple of touch and go landings. After the last landing we taxied back to the FBO. As I shut down the engine, Tom asked to see my student pilot license, I handed it over to him and he pulled out his pen and wrote something on the back. He handed it back to me and opened the door and crawled out. Tom stuck his head back in the cabin and told me to go make 3 full stop landings and then shut the door.

My heart started to race. I was about to solo. I taxied to 31, did the engine run-up and made a radio call, “Pierre radio,Warrior 40858 taking off on 31 for first solo. Will be touch and go.” Pierre radio responded, “Warrior 40858, inbound traffic is Western 737”. Holy crap, I am on my first solo and I will have to share the pattern with a big jet! Suddenly, over the radio I hear, “Warrior 40858, inbound Western 737 will circle until you have completed your solo. Congratulations and good luck.”

My heart was still racing as I applied power and started the takeoff roll. I was surprised at how fast the Warrior accelerated and left the ground without Tom sitting beside me. My first thought was, “Wow, I am flying by myself, and the airplane is flying better!”
The rest of the flight is a blur in my memory. I am sure that I have never had a bigger smile on my face. It is a day I will never forget. I have often wondered if the passengers on that Western flight ever found out what caused their delay on that beautiful Sunday morning.

Back