• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Hartzell HC-2YL and HC-C2YR hub differences?

sportingrifle

Hi all....The Lycoming 0-320 takes the Hartzell HC-C2YL hub while the 0-360 takes the HC-C2YR hub. I need the YL hub but have found a great deal on a YR hub. Does anyone know if the difference is just the size of the attaching studs and/or if the hubs can easily be converted at overhaul?
Thanks Kevin.

Off the top of my head, I would say no. Also be very careful when buying used low priced propeller hubs. There is a known prop shop around here which takes in props for inspection always finding something expensive which they don't like. Then they replace it for you with a used part which they have apparently taken from another sucker (er customer) with the same excuse of a small amount of corrosion. A friend made them return the flawed prop bringing it to me to see. The reason for rejection was corrosion, there was none which was visible. Another friend had a very low time prop inspected for the AD and it came back with a multi thousand hour hub on it. If the hub which you have found at a great deal is available, I would be very suspicious of some hidden flaw. You don't want to mess with a possibly flawed prop hub.

This from page 5 of TC P-920
http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/18d6249c3d738035862580170052ad40/$FILE/P-920_Rev37.pdf

L: SAE # 2 flange with six 7/16” bolts and four 5/8” drive bushings on a 4-3/4” bolt circle
R: SAE # 2 flange with six ½” bolts and five ¾” drive bushings on a 4-3/4” bolt circle

Hi all....The Lycoming 0-320 takes the Hartzell HC-C2YL hub while the 0-360 takes the HC-C2YR hub. I need the YL hub but have found a great deal on a YR hub. Does anyone know if the difference is just the size of the attaching studs and/or if the hubs can easily be converted at overhaul?
Thanks Kevin.

As a guy who has replaced two Hartzell prop hubs under a chicken $h## ad for cracks, I can tell you to run from Hartzell. I understand that a Pitts special that has the Hartzell prop with the snot wrung out of doing acro, then is tied down outside in the rain might be problematic. Both of my HC-2yr props on the Scouts fell under the AD, you either had to buy new hub or an eddy current inspection of the hub every 100 hrs. They were both perfect condition. I replaced them both times with MT and was happy to do so rather than fix the boat anchors. Thats my advice, send your money to Germany if you can. I have heard the newHartzell Trailblazer prop on the Husky is working out well, time will tell.

Jim

There is a known prop shop around here which takes in props for inspection always finding something expensive which they don't like.
I thought I was the only one that happened to!!!!

As a guy who has replaced two Hartzell prop hubs under a chicken $h## ad for cracks, I can tell you to run from Hartzell. I understand that a Pitts special that has the Hartzell prop with the snot wrung out of doing acro, then is tied down outside in the rain might be problematic. Both of my HC-2yr props on the Scouts fell under the AD, you either had to buy new hub or an eddy current inspection of the hub every 100 hrs. They were both perfect condition. I replaced them both times with MT and was happy to do so rather than fix the boat anchors. Thats my advice, send your money to Germany if you can. I have heard the newHartzell Trailblazer prop on the Husky is working out well, time will tell.

Jim

I had the exact same experience with these hubs. The ADs are killers. I had the Eddie current insp. Done every 100 hours (250 miles to prop shop) till the prop shop owner said I had only one more of those....he was tired of Hartzell passing their junk propeller liability on to him.

i too bought an MT and would do so again.

Bottom line is there are a LOT of suspect or condemned Hartzell hubs out there. Proceed with caution. And even if it's a "good" one, Hartzell will issue another AD on it as soon as it hits a certain age.

MTV

Oops. Decathlon has a new hub, no AD. But you guys are scaring me. They took over Sky Tec, and that was part of my decision to go B&C.

Hey guys, thanks for the info and thoughtful replies. Even though it is on an experimental, I see a very common theme here and will dig deeper into the wallet and take a hard look at MT.

Thanks again, sportingrifle.

Hey guys, thanks for the info and thoughtful replies. Even though it is on an experimental, I see a very common theme here and will dig deeper into the wallet and take a hard look at MT.

Thanks again, sportingrifle.
Now you're changing the parameters. What type of experimental? I and others have had excellent results with Whirlwind on our Cubs. And I believe that they are less $$. http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/index.asp

FWIW my Whirl Wind 200A is a thing of beauty. And lighter than any CS prop I've ever lifted. WW customer service is excellent.

729098836a6e26dd98106f9fc7538aa1.jpg
6f9a111bd36b4cda3c9cd52de7bf0e0b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

This one Tom, https://whirlwindpropellers.com/aircraft/ The constant speed props and the ground adjustable on my Cub come from the company in post #8.

Interesting. I have heard someone trying this one and liking it. Looks like the sensinich ground adjustable but longer. And it's light. Only a little heavier than a Catto.

Looks like the same website but ones in Ohio and ones in CA?

https://whirlwindpropellers.com/aircraft/product/ga200l-stol/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. I have heard someone trying this one and liking it. Looks like the sensenich ground adjustable but longer. And it's light. Only a little heavier than a Catto.

Looks like the same website but ones in Ohio and ones in CA?

https://whirlwindpropellers.com/aircraft/product/ga200l-stol/

One is Whirlwind Propellers and the other is Whirlwind Aviation. I'm not certain but I was under the impression that the one in Ohio spun off from the other in California. Both of them use hollow carbon fiber blades. The Ohio ground adjustable blades are easier and quicker to change pitch.

The California props are light (18# for the Lycoming STOL prop). The Ohio ground adjustables weigh the same as their constant speed cousins at 42-44#. The two are getting blended together in this thread. Beware, they're different products.

Found this on another forum

I was contacted by somebody who saw this thread, and they asked me if I could clear up some questions. I’ll give a few quick answers here, and then if there are more questions, please feel welcome to call or email me directly, or post them up here in the forum.

First, Whirl Wind has two divisions. Whirl Wind Aviation (WWA) is our constant-speed propeller division, and Whirl Wind Propellers Corporation (WWPC) is our ground-adjustable propeller division. All propellers from WWA and WWPC are experimental category only.

WWPC offers several engine specific ground-adjustable propeller options for both LSA and STOL type aircraft. For Super Cub type aircraft powered by Lycoming 320 / 360 (based) engines, we offer the GA200L-STOL ground-adjustable propeller. The GA200L-STOL is available in diameters from 82” down to 76”, with bolt sizes of ½”, 7/16”, or 3/8”

You can view the GA200L-STOL propeller on our website here, but I am not able to post the link in this thread for some reason.

The price of the GA200L-STOL in any of the above diameters is currently $2950 USD (includes the hub, blades and hardware). We offer an optional 12” Cub style spinner that is trimmed, fitted, and ready to fly. The 12” spinner comes in either a white primer coat, ready for paint $335 USD or a gloss carbon finish $356. Lead-times runs about 1 week.

WWA offers many great constant-speed propeller options, as well as one ground-adjustable option for Lycoming 360 powered STOL type aircraft, the 200G and the 210G. These are based on the constant-speed propeller hub.

Sincerely,
-Patti
Whirl Wind Propellers
"Leaders in Propeller Performance Technology"
619-562-3725

Back