• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Catto prop on C-90 Continental

Yes I am still happy with my 76-40, it cruises a little slower than original numbers in the cold air, at 2400 2 up it is at 88-90 mph. w/o 95mph at 2550. Still very good climb. Only problem I see is I am running a lot warmer oil temps with this prop. Stroked 85, my plane is 780lbs on small tires. Good luck, Scott

Interesting you are running higher oil temps. Same spinner? Do you think there is less pitch close to the hub to pressurize the cowl?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Not sure of the reason, but I have had several props on this engine and it runs 15 deg. hotter.

Not sure of the reason, but I have had several props on this engine and it runs 15 deg. hotter.

Scott,
Nicole mentioned Craig felt that the prop may not be loading the engine enough, and were suggesting increasing pitch to a 76/42 from the 40. Did they already do this with yours?

Peter

Sent from my imitation glass cockpit using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Not yet, I have to send it back and they said they will try that, if that don't work they will try a little wider blade. I will keep you posted. I'm dragging my feet because I like my prop, they are great people to deal with.

Increasing the inboard blade area is probably the solution. I don't see how increasing pitch alone is going to help, if anything it'll probably run hotter.

Cat to prop on C-90 Continental

Scott, sent you a couple pm's

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Glenn, bring Peter over so he can try my Catto out. I'm taking it off next week anyhow to send back, my blade is very different, looks like a Mac. 75/35. long and thin. Scott

Scott, saw your message and I'm talking with Catto about it all. I think yours would still be too much prop. Glenn Symon has a 7638 I could try, which Catto is going to get back to me if it's worth getting some data from, for my 90.

Dan Fager in Ohio has a 78x34, great for climb but cruise at 2500 is lower 80's, behind another O-200 with c85 cylinders and a 106hp output. Again, not talking C90 hp or torque curve, so it's hard to get good data without being a guinea pig.

Thanks,
Peter

Hey Pete, thanks for the note. I've looked pretty hard at them, but at the end of the day I know that I won't take the time to adjust it for different missions. Loosening and re-torqueing the blade bolts just would get old fast.

I've looked a bit at the Prince props too. For the adjustable props I'm waiting for someone to create a composite prop with a gear set in the hub connected to a single nut/bolt on the hub face for adjustment. Could be a worm gear, or just a ring gear set. Turn the nut with a wrench to dial it to the setting you want and hop back in the cockpit.

So at the moment I'm headed down the Catto road. Nailing down the best "size for me and mine" is always the harder part. Apparently they can't ship me horsepower on a stick. ;-)

Pete
you are welcome to try my Catto 7642 but it might be a bit too much. I would like to get more rpm on climbout but the plane gets out good and i like the 100mph cruise at 2400. I have a ground adjust Sensenich you are welcome to try as well

jim

Scott, saw your message and I'm talking with Catto about it all. I think yours would still be too much prop. Glenn Symon has a 7638 I could try, which Catto is going to get back to me if it's worth getting some data from, for my 90.

Pete,
Home today thru Monday, plane is on the farm. Bring a torque wrench and it's yours to play with.

........For the adjustable props I'm waiting for someone to create a composite prop with a gear set in the hub connected to a single nut/bolt on the hub face for adjustment. Could be a worm gear, or just a ring gear set. Turn the nut with a wrench to dial it to the setting you want and hop back in the cockpit.....

A guy I know had an Ivoprop on a 50hp Rotax - powered Fisher Koala.
Seems to me that the Ivoprop adjusted that way.
The nut on the hub connected to a rod that ran up through each prop blade.
Turning the nut twisted the rod and changed the blade pitch.
Good idea, but unfortunately their blade design didn't look very efficient.
I think another guy I know had a bigger one on a 200hp Velocity.
That prop had some delamination problems.

Hey Pete, thanks for the note. I've looked pretty hard at them, but at the end of the day I know that I won't take the time to adjust it for different missions. Loosening and re-torqueing the blade bolts just would get old fast.
Yes redoing it would get old fast. However once you find the pitch which suits you the best, you likely won't touch it again unless you were perhaps going on a long trip. I did a bunch of tests with mine, recording all the information. Decided on an intermediate setting for good all around performance and haven't touched it since. Yet it can be changed if I wish for a lot less trouble and expense than changing props.

Farmboy,
Take a look at this: https://whirlwindpropellers.com/aircraft/product/ga200cn/ The ground adjustable feature will allow you to fine tune your pitch as you wish for whatever type of flying you would like. It sure seems more practical than swapping props to find the optimum pitch. I'm using the ground adjustable from the other Whirlwind company and I'm very pleased.

Pete, as I seem to be doing all the research and getting no response, I'm more interested in what else is available. You have an O-200, and you are using their GA200 prop? What diameter? Do you know what pitch you settled on?

Thanks,
Peter

Peter,
I think that Bill Bellmore at Crow Island has a Sensenich ground adjustable on his Legend with an O-200? check this one: http://www.sensenich.com/products/item/138 I believe that it's simpler to adjust than the Whirlwind GA200.

I love this prop on my 0200, 7252 to go fast and still have decent climb, 7248 for everyday and 7246 to climb tall buildings in a single bound. 5 minute change over from one to the other. 375+ hrs on it so far. Under 12lbs

Glenn

Last edited:
Anyone ever heard of a Sensenich 2F0K6C76AF-0 ? 76" ground adjustable he says. I find no info on their website.

Peter,
I have an IO-360 (180 hp) and a 200G from the other Whirlwind company. That is definitely not the prop for you. There are two Whirlwind propeller companies. http://www.whirlwindaviation.com/index.asp and https://www.whirlwindpropellers.com/ I think that Bill Bellmore at Crow Island has a Sensenich ground adjustable on his Legend with an O-200? check this one: http://www.sensenich.com/products/item/138 I believe that it's simpler to adjust than the Whirlwind GA200.

Back on the C90 prop topic -
In between trying to winterize boats I'm still on the hard hunt for a better prop, and it's sadly made me a bit bitter(?) or frustrated (?). I always find it amazing that it's so hard to spend money with a company that you think would be very interested in both an educated customer and a happy customer. I'm not negotiating price, I'm trying to buy the right item!

Although I've tried to get some response from them, it seems Catto has pretty much written me off as a customer. No response at all since taking the prop back, and no comments on why their suggested prop was so far off.
In the meantime I've reached out to both Whirlwind and Sensenich. No response from Whirlwind yet, but Sensenich did get back with me, and I learned a few things.

If someone knows better please correct me.
~ The 2EK/C72AE prop is no longer produced, as I understand it. Continental had pretty much disavowed use of it due to harmonics, and so Sensenich moved to a different style hub and prop. No issues, just felt it was the right thing to do, and all good.
~ They had been talking about it for awhile, but they have come out with a 76" ground adjustable composite prop.
He didn't have numbers, but he guessed it would probably be adjustable in the 34-42 inch pitch range, although they use a pitch pin gauge for adjustment over the previous cartridge style.

He mentioned that Legend loves the 76", (but that may be a fixed pitch 76"), as he also said that he didn't have any of these out in the field yet. The ground adjustable prop number is a 2F0K6C76AF-0.

One other thing of note which makes sense.
A laid up prop with a varied twist, that takes advantage of the hp at different parts of the blade at different speeds, is the best way to do things, such as what Catto does. And on an RV, fast LSA, etc, at 130+ speeds that may make a 1-2% difference. But at 85-90-100 mph, in a Cub.... probably not worrying about if the blade pitch is optimum design for the speed you are running. Close the door for your 2%.

So, I told him if he could get me one in time to use for the WAD event, I'd be his guinea pig. He checked and thinks they can do it, so looks like he'll be happy to take my money.

I'll let you know at the WAD.

pb

Last edited:
Sorry, got a little confused. Does Sensenich currently have available a ground adjustable prop for the O-200?? I went through this last year with them and at that time they said they didn't have anything.

Sorry, got a little confused. Does Sensenich currently have available a ground adjustable prop for the O-200?? I went through this last year with them and at that time they said they didn't have anything.

My bad, I get long winded trying to pass on info.

Best thing would be to call and speak with them directly. Don would be a good source there.
My understanding is that yes, this prop that they don't really have out in the field yet, 2F0K6C76AF-0 would be the one for 90-100 hp cubs. 76" diameter, and ground adjustable using a pitch pin design. Prop comes complete with bolts, etc.

This is the prop I'll be guinea pigging with a little luck.

(In case others are learning as well, -2 props like the 74Ak-2 signifies a cut down prop, so it was 74 and has been cut down to 72", hence why they measure shorter than the number)

pb

Should be starting assembly this weekend, so maybe next year....this photo is from last month...
IMG_0524.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0524.JPG
    IMG_0524.JPG
    267.8 KB · Views: 469
If I'm not working on mine I might take you up on that. Really working to push through and get it done so I can get flying. Thanks for the offers!

Ha ha.. Just keep having this vision of having to fix someone else's airplane before mines done! I really do appreciate the offers, and do want to swap rides before too long..... Might even need skis this winter if I can remember where I put them..........

Attachments

• IMG_0426.JPG
    IMG_0426.JPG
    224.6 KB · Views: 190
Ha ha.. Just keep having this vision of having to fix someone else's airplane before mines done! I really do appreciate the offers, and do want to swap rides before too long..... Might even need skis this winter if I can remember where I put them..........

Oh man, that's starting to look like an airplane!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back