• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Catto prop on C-90 Continental

mvivion

SPONSOR
Bozeman,MT
Anyone running a Catto prop on a C-90 Continental, and if so, what length and pitch?

Thanks,

MTV

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one on my exp cub. 78X38. It also had c85 Pistons and Vetterman exhaust. Static rpm was 2390. 85-88 mph cruise. It climbed really well also. It was a great prop. A guy in WY has it now.

I'll have to run mine again but it sounds just a touch less than my non-catto. At 2350 level I'm pushing 92 indicated, so I assume you probably had better climb rate. I'll also have to check my static. I have a 788 cam with open exhaust, so I could also be pumping a touch more power. Any idea what yours would do for a climb rate?

Thanks,
pb

I have a Catto 76x37 on an experimental PA18-95 with a stone stock C90, it was what Catto recommended a few years ago. It is currently at Catto for a repitch to 35. I could not get to the redline in cruise with full throttle, cruised about 90, with 3/4 inch gurney flaps installed, a couple of mph faster without. I never checked static. It was supposed to be shipped back last Friday, however have not heard from them. Too much snow on the runway to fly on wheels right now, we do not plow. Will post results from new pitch when able.

I am running a Catto 76/40 on my stroker c85. Very good t/o and climb, cruise 2150 84mph, 2350 92mph, w/o 2550 98mph. Smooth and l got ride of the extra weight. I tried a 74/36 and it didn't work as well. I am very happy so far, it has only been on this winter so I have no idea if I will like it 2up 90 deg.

I have a Catto 76x37 on an experimental PA18-95 with a stone stock C90, it was what Catto recommended a few years ago. It is currently at Catto for a repitch to 35. I could not get to the redline in cruise with full throttle, cruised about 90, with 3/4 inch gurney flaps installed, a couple of mph faster without. I never checked static. It was supposed to be shipped back last Friday, however have not heard from them. Too much snow on the runway to fly on wheels right now, we do not plow. Will post results from new pitch when able.

Honest question. How do they go about repitching their prop?

They sand it down and can add more in some places and sand more off in others. I asked the same question.

They sand it down and can add more in some places and sand more off in others. I asked the same question.

I was sure you had. Did they quote you a price? I ask because I might like to have them re-work mine however I'm looking to increase pitch. 38 to 40

Yes, I asked Nicole how they do it, she said they remove material from the tip inward on the back side, she said it was easy and quick. They only have to paint the back side black. They will do one re-pitch for free for the original owner. You pay shipping.

They told me that if I was original owner and it was on the plane that I purchased it for they would repitch it for free. They are great people to work with. They built me the 74/36 and it didn't work well for me, so they said run it while we make you a new one, I told Craig what numbers I wanted to see and he hit it almost exactly. They fixed a prop off our Super cub (hanger rash) and only charged $100. Good luck. Scott...

I was sure you had. Did they quote you a price? I ask because I might like to have them re-work mine however I'm looking to increase pitch. 38 to 40

Glenn
I have a Sensenich ground adjust if you want to run it while yours is away

jim

They repitched mine for $300. If they said it is shipped, it,s shipped. My down time was like 3 weeks.

Glenn has asked me to "Chime in". I have a c-90 on a light cub type. I put a Cato 80" x34" on it. I have been pleased with the results. Needless to say with a 34" pitch it is not fast. I cruise at about 75 unless loaded aft at about 80, at about 2350. I can get 25 at static. With an 80" prop clearance is marginal. I added Dresser aero classic 850 x 6". They weigh about 10 lbs each and add a couple of inches to prop clearance. The Cato prop replacing my metal prop took about 12 to 14 lbs off at about 50" and I compensated for it by replacing my Scott 3200 with a Matco tail wheel, removing 4 lbs or so from 205" making it a wash. I wanted to keep the CG at the same location. The Matco also lowered the tail angle and effective attack angle to assist on takeoff. The aircraft has flaps and a big tail. The flaps make it the slowest flying cub I've ever flown but it doesn't have the excess power on takeoff and climb to make use of them. Great for prospecting new strips but takeoff and climb are limited by power. I'm very pleased with the plane. The long flat prop has allowed me to squeeze every bit of power out of the engine that it is capable of.

With a long prop the clearence is important. Cubs are often light on the nose especially when light on fuel. At slow speeds, strong brakes or excessive use of brakes can make them go on their nose or over on their back. The light Cato prop will wind up so fast, the engine power overcomes the prop inertia that it will wind up instantly and when at slow speeds if the tail starts to come up, a full power blast applied immediately with full elevator, will more likely keep the tail down and prevent a plane from going on its nose or back.

After years of higher hp cubs I find the lack of power problematic. The long flat prop has made me able to get the most out of the 90 hp

I paid $2,935 in October for my 76x36. See invoice attached for how I set it up. This is for my experimental 11

Attachments

• Inv_5268_from_Catto_Propellers_16780.pdf
    93.8 KB · Views: 482
I am running a Catto 76/40 on my stroker c85. Very good t/o and climb, cruise 2150 84mph, 2350 92mph, w/o 2550 98mph. Smooth and l got ride of the extra weight. I tried a 74/36 and it didn't work as well. I am very happy so far, it has only been on this winter so I have no idea if I will like it 2up 90 deg.

Dragging up this thread again. Any further comments on this pitch now that it's summer? Catto still recommends the 76/40 for the C90. What's your Aircraft weight and horsepower with it stroked?

Pete sneak in during the week and pull mine off, as long as it's back on Saturday night what will I know. Catto 7638

Lol! That's not as fast and easy as it sounds Glenn! But didn't you want to bump it up to a 76/40?

I have been flying Stu's C90 J3 up here in Ak with a Catto 80x34. It pulls great and 2350 gives about 82mph. Took it from sea level to 6000' and I like it.

Glenn

Last edited:
Back