• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

185 Jack Screw inspection panels

530FF

Getting ready to install both aft top left and right inspection panels on my 75 185 , my question is what approved data is availlable or have used ,STC ,DER repair or a 337 ? Thanks for the help

Last edited:
It's a service kit from Cessna.

Web
Are you referring to SB/SK 185-27 that would be the installation instructions of the lower inspection panel were the jack fitting is installed on the later models which I am installing. Is there a service bulletin for installation of the two inspection panels on top left and right for access to jack screws?

Have you looked in a parts manual?

Web
Yes and ordered the doubler and inspection panel from Cessna with no pilot holes drilled as the newer 185's with these panels installed at the factory had a different rivet spacing than my 75 witch was not a factory installation at that time . Still think I should do a 337 approval with a DER repair or STC or if someone has done a field approval please let me know

Last edited:
Ya spend a lot of money or find an IA that understands the rules!! your choice.
DENNY
My understanding is this is a major alteration to the airframe and needing a 337 filed hence inquiring how others that have actually done this alteration have come up with approved data.

My recollection is that the Cessna Pilot's Association has a copy of a 337 for this. Depending on your FSDO, that might not help much. After providing a previous approved 337, I've had a request for a field approval for 26" GY tires kicking around the Oklahoma FSDO for 9 months. Folks have been flying around on with those tires on 180/185's for 50+ years, but it's hard to pry a field approval out of the FAA. RJ

I installed these panels in a 1973 A185F in Dec 2006 as a field approval. At the time I ask my FAA principle maintenance inspector he was standing in my hangar looking at a Bellanca Scout project I needed a replacement data plate for. He said it could be done as a minor alteration but if I wanted to do it as a major alteration just send the paper work in and he would approve it. That is what I did. I had purchased a letter from Cessna for my serial number aircraft saying that the installation was ACCEPTABLE and indicating that tapered wedges would need to be installed between the stringers and the doublers. I have attempted to attach a copy of my 337 and the documentation packet I used. Hope this helps.

edited to add- My 180H project had these added by persons unknown without any paper work. I am going to sign them off as minor with just a log book entry by inspecting the installation and finding that it complies with the Cessna Maintenance Manual and AC43.13-1B change 1 citing the applicable chapter and paragraph(s).

Attachments

• 180-180 rudder bell crank panels 337.PDF
    909.9 KB · Views: 409
Last edited:
.... After providing a previous approved 337, I've had a request for a field approval for 26" GY tires kicking around the Oklahoma FSDO for 9 months. Folks have been flying around on with those tires on 180/185's for 50+ years, but it's hard to pry a field approval out of the FAA. RJ

Isn't that just ridiculous?
Sure wish someone would come up with an STC for those, like they did for 850's.

Some one needs to explain why this is a major. It's an inspection panel installed using parts from the parts manual. Log entry and done.

Web

Just sayin'..........

.........i have maintained 185's for over 25 years and rarely use those two panels for access or inspection. If I was 6'5"/295lbs I might have arrived at a different conclusion.

Thanks Tim for all the good info on inst of panels. I'll contact Cessna and get approval via the tech rep,and go with a field approval with a 337. Building it up as a part 135 ship and cannot have enought paperwork these days Richard

....Building it up as a part 135 ship and cannot have enought paperwork these days Richard

I understand that if the weight of the paperwork doesn't equal or exceed the empty weight of the airplane, it will not pass.

Sure wish someone would come up with an STC for those, like they did for 850's.

I now have an STC for installation of these panels as well as PMA'd doublers and panels. My kit is just a little over half the cost of new parts from Cessna at $1149 and includes all necessary hardware, drawings, and STC.

Search AEROPOD on Facebook or AEROPODINC at Gmail dot com

Back