• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

testing a 406 mhz ELT

I missed this thread when it started. But at the IA renewals when 406's first started they where saying you just follow the manufactures instructions to do the test.

I agree. Just read this excerpt from the Artex ELT 345 manual.

Although, this probably isn't what they mean't. :smile:

Web

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 280
I just push the button on my AK-04 ELT at the appropriate test time and I get an e-mail from RCC saying they got my test. Done.;-)

How do you perform the battery corrosion inspection? How do you perform the G switch testing?

I guess the simple answer is "I don't".
But it has gone off accidentally so I'm quite sure the G switch is working. I've never seen a lithium battery cause a corrosion issue.

Cut and pasted from the approved manual for the approved ACK E-04.

SECTION 10 PERIODIC MAINTENANCE/CONTINUING AIRWORTHINESS

THE FOLLOWING TESTS MUST BE PERFORMED A MINIMUM OF EVERY TWELVE CALENDAR MONTHS, TO ASSURE THE CONTINUING AIRWORTHINESS OF THE ELT.
1.) Inspect the ELT transmitter and mounting tray to insure all fasteners, and mechanical assemblies are secure.
2.) Inspect the coaxial cable connecting the ELT transmitter to the antenna for cuts or abrasions on its outer jacket. Disconnect the BNC connector at each end. Examine both BNC connectors and the mating plug on the ELT transmitter, and antenna base for any signs of corrosion.
3.) Inspect the modular cable connecting the ELT to the RCPI unit for signs of wear or abrasion on it’s outer jacket. Remove the modular plug connecting the ELT transmitter
to the connecting cable, and inspect the jack and plug assembly for corrosion.
4.) If a GPS is interfaced to the ELT, inspect the modular cable connecting the ELT to the GPS unit for signs of wear or abrasion on its outer jacket. Remove the modular plug connecting the ELT transmitter to the GPS and inspect the jack and plug assembly for corrosion.
5.) Check the expiration date of the RCPI battery and audio alert battery in the aircraft log book. Check the expiration date of the battery pack and replace if necessary.
6.) Leave the ELT in the “Armed” position, then remove the ELT from the aircraft, and perform a G switch test as follows:
This test should be conducted between the hour, and 5 minutes after the hour per FCC requirements. Tune an aircraft radio, or hand held aircraft radio to 121.5 MHz. The radio should be in close proximity to the area where you will conduct the test.
TURN THE SQUELCH CONTROL ALL THE WAY DOWN, OR OFF. You should be hearing white noise on the radio. If switching the main switch from the “Off” to the “Armed” position wait at least 15 seconds before performing this test. While in the “Armed” position, hold the ELT at your waist with the arrow printed on the battery case facing away from you. Move the ELT rapidly away from your waist. When the ELT reaches the full extent of your arm, retract it back to your waist as fast as possible. You should hear the 121.5 MHz sweep tone in the radio. AS SOON AS YOU HEAR THE TONE, IMMEDIATELY TURN THE MAIN SWITCH ON THE ELT TO THE “OFF” POSITION.
The ELT when activated transmits on 121.5 MHz for approximately 50 seconds before a 406 MHz burst is sent to the satellites. This is a live burst which will immediately notify the COSPAS/SARSAT system that there is an emergency. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU DO NOT ALLOW AN ACTIVATED ELT, TO TRANSMIT FOR MORE THAN 30 SECONDS DURING G SWITCH TESTING.
7.) Reinstall the ELT, make sure the cables are secured, and properly connected. Make sure to seal the din connector if the ELT is connected to the aircraft GPS. (Page 8 Fig. 12.5) Place the main switch in the “Armed” position, and install the rubber cover over the main switch opening.
8.) Perform the self test described in section 9 to verify proper operation.

Is there a suggested best 406 ELT? Getting one installed and could use a PIREP on your opinions.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Like everything avionics related, it’s a crap shoot. Check weight, the cost of battery replacement. Internal gps if that’s important to you, what are you replacing (may be easier to replace with same brand).

For most, I think cost, cost to replace battery, special tools or equipment required for test are the biggest decision factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything Artex. Right now, I'm a big fan of their ELT 345. Roughly $700 locally and has inputs for GPS location data. Also has a fairly simple wire harness for the remote switch.

Web

Why do you prefer Artex? After have to send an Artex in for repair and their customer service, time frame, cost they are down their with Ameriking on my list.

Tha ack is simple and cheap. What I have been installing for decades, old version and new 406 version.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Why do you prefer Artex? After have to send an Artex in for repair and their customer service, time frame, cost they are down their with Ameriking on my list.

I've had very few problems with their ELTs. If you open up different models and compare, the boards are assembled and sealed better than others (my opinion). Never have to do the little 'flashy light' thing like the ACKs. No telephone wires to fail. simple wire harness fabrication. And now with the price of the 345's so low, along with the GPS data inputs, makes it a great set up for most small aircraft.

Com on. Ameriking!? They're not even allowed to be doorstops anymore.

Web

I've had very few problems with their ELTs. If you open up different models and compare, the boards are assembled and sealed better than others (my opinion). Never have to do the little 'flashy light' thing like the ACKs. No telephone wires to fail. simple wire harness fabrication. And now with the price of the 345's so low, along with the GPS data inputs, makes it a great set up for most small aircraft.

Com on. Ameriking!? They're not even allowed to be doorstops anymore.

Web

The failure of a pretty new Artex, my research of the issue found it was a defect on their part but the customer had to pay for it but the big thing to me was the customer service, worse I have encountered. I get cranky when I have an airplane taking up space in my hanger for a month waiting on something like an ELT and my emails and phone calls go unanswered. Effects my purchase decision process. ;) Did you ever talk to the owner of Ameriking? :???: He was a piece of work.

I've talked to the factory (Artex) a few times and always had good experiences. Wished they had treated you better as I think they make a good product. Wholeheartedly agree about the customer service affecting purchasing decisions (hear that Hart Barrels?).

Never talked to the owner at Ameriking but anyone that continues to ship units with a fed cease and desist letter laying on their desk definitely qualifies as 'a piece of work'.

Web

I have an EBC-406AP, metal case and solidly mounted were important to me, internal GPS not so much.

It is nice to have as it narrows the search area. When I fab a wire harness for an ELT that has GPS inputs available, I put a connector on the data lines. If you want to use it, just plug into it. If you don't want to use it then don't, but the ELT will still work.

Web

It is nice to have as it narrows the search area. When I fab a wire harness for an ELT that has GPS inputs available, I put a connector on the data lines. If you want to use it, just plug into it. If you don't want to use it then don't, but the ELT will still work.

Web

Web,

Actually, having a GPS input to an ELT does a lot more than that. First, yes, it gives RCC an immediate, very precise, location.

That also significantly accelerates the "rescue" part of Search and Rescue, since they don't have to wait for a more precise location from the orbiting satellites using doppler to resolve a precise location.

BUT, when it REALLY counts is if an airplane goes in the water or burns, for example. In those cases, the polar orbiting satellites may not be in range when the incident occurs, but the geostationary satellite will (probably) still pick up the alert. If you have GPS connected, again, RCC will have a precise location. If you don't have GPS connected, RCC will only have a very general location.

Good position data comes from the polar orbiting satellites via doppler. That takes more than one pass of the satellites to generate a precise position. But, even one pass will give them a general location.

But, again, with GPS connected, even if there is NO polar orbiting satellite in view when the "event" occurs, the geostationary satellite will copy that location data and RCC will know precisely where you are.

And, on your emergency checklist....put "Activate ELT Remotely" in there somewhere if you're about to land somewhere you'd rather not.

MTV

Don't get me wrong, I like the GPS inputs and always recommend them when the equipment is available (both a GPS unit and ELT with data inputs). People need to remember that the GPS location AT THE TIME THE ELT ACTIVATES will be transmitted. Which means it may be one less thing to worry about during a schmuck up.

But compared to a 121.5 ELT a 406 signal is still way more precise. Even without the GPS. Just don't start thinking it's 'good enough'. You'll want every last method of speeding along rescuers when you or your buddies are cold/bleeding.

Web

Buddy of mine had a rental 182 that someone wrecked near Galena. They had put a 406 ELT that was tied to a VFR GPS, and the SAR folks mentioned how nice it was to go right to the scene of the accident. The renter seemed to appreciate it, too. There’s a lot of nothing out that way.

Another factor in the 406 dilemma, Spruce or anyone else may not have the battery in stock, I waited over 6 weeks for my EBC-406ap battery, spruce kept updating the website for another week to get in stock, and another and another...it did finally come but I am not sure if Elon Musk had to make it or what. Tim

Back