• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 extended baggage

Anchorage, AK
I am leaning towards keeping my PA-12 and modifying it instead of buying a PA-18. Does anyone make an extended baggage that extends off the back seat? I am probably going to keep the stock elevator control.

my borer extended baggage, the lower baggage does require eliminating the rear bell crank unless you cleverly raised the floor somehow. I'm with you, not sure I'd do it again next time. The lower also require rerouting the trim cable, not a big deal but be sure to weld mount pulley hangers as you go along if you go that way.

IMG_2895 - Copy.JPGIMG_2897.JPGIMG_3346.JPGIMG_3347 - Copy.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2895 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_2895 - Copy.JPG
    805.2 KB · Views: 648
  • IMG_2897.JPG
    IMG_2897.JPG
    719.6 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_3346.JPG
    IMG_3346.JPG
    699.7 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_3347 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_3347 - Copy.JPG
    650.5 KB · Views: 251
I am leaning towards keeping my PA-12 and modifying it instead of buying a PA-18. Does anyone make an extended baggage that extends off the back seat? I am probably going to keep the stock elevator control.

I have about six feet behind my back seat. The entire rear seat is removable in approx. 60 sec. I have slept in my plane on many occasions. The cross brace behind the rear seat is removable, but it can be a pain in the ass to replace so more often than not I leave it in. I'm 5-9 and 180 lbs so it's not a hardship. For inflight storage---just be careful of W&B--that's a very long arm. Because the rear seat is removable--I generally store my gear in the area of the rear seat. I pull the rear stick and built a box to cover the moving flight control machinery. Works well.

Looking at the other pics--I have a raised floor-- a seat under storage area is the leveling factor for the floor. Let me look for pics.

Can't go wrong with MCS making an extended baggage for a -12.

As noted above, with an extended baggage, you'll have more room than W&B will allow. More room that GVW will allow, but if not careful you'll be a little over gross and WAY out of W&B.

I am thinking just a small extended baggage about as big as the rear seat. Maybe use the battery door for access. I have a belly pod so I don't need that much room. I am guessing I'll have to do it as a minor alteration. Haven't really looked into it yet.

If you have a long mount an extended baggage is a performance mod. Even with a short mount I wouldn't pass up the added space and utility that an enlarged cabin offers. There's always light stuff to take. CG is not a problem.

Full length upper. Sure is handy when traveling and for hauling smaller odd items. The door also makes it much easier to get into the original baggage area. You can reach in through the door instead of climbing into the back seat.

Attachments

• 20150812_065819.jpg
    20150812_065819.jpg
    926 KB · Views: 519
I'll kick it around once I get closer to the rebuild. I would do the short mount but I don't want to spend the $$. The airplanes mission is going to be to haul my butt around in retirement. Mostly grass strips in the NW maybe a few trips to AK to visit my family. With an occasional glider tow or dual instruction to write it off. Biggest thing I don't like about a stock 12 is the landing gear.

Why?
For normal use and 31" it seems to be alright. Unless hard use, why not?
Fast, less parts etc.? Easy to change bungees with Torbo Beavers way to do it.
Doug

I go into some rough grass strips occasionaly and I am sure I'll be doing some strips in AK at some point. Normally I'll be running 8.50's. Also I intend to put it on skis. I don't like the way the gear smashes into the cross tube under my butt. I wish Piper had put a system like the Pacer in.

If you don't already have it, I'd recommend the 18 H.stab/elevator assy. Also, if going to a 320 on the long mount, there are a couple things you can do to keep the CG in check. 1) Niagara aluminum oil cooler 2) B&C rear mount alternator 3) Skytec starter.

A Catto prop would be nice, if only they were certified.

Last edited:
It already has PA-18 tail feathers and an O320. The last guy that owned the airplane did a nice job on the engine. (Rocket engineer) I think it has all the lightweight stuff on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0295.JPG
    IMG_0295.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 190
The one I'm working on has the 18 gear and the bungie truss gone, then they put an 18 seat in, so the flap handle is on the left.
John

If you do the flaps according to the Marden drawings, it puts the flap lever on the right side of the seat. This also requires no STC. If you do the extended flaps/shortened ailerons per the Day/Night STC, it mounts the handle on the left. Many of the ones the were done later, were converted to the left side. The right side came from the PA14 lever mount to the seat as well as the PA14 flaps and hardware that was used.

Hi Charlie, just catching up on my reading here. I'll dig into the packet of STC I have for my 12 and email you a list and I'll send copies of any you like. Seems you are going to beat me to flying your 12, I just came back down from AK Tuesday night, I've been rebuilding a gravel bar flip over Husky. Finished the rebuild on the engine and now a little fabric work and windows. Hope to see you this summer in AK.

Hi Tom my PA-12 is flying so I've beaten you lol! Actually I bought it in flying condition and am thinking about adding a few things to it. Send me anything you have on extended baggage. I have the other stuff figured out.

Thanks!

Back