Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have your head up your ass?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
    It used to be the "clean out" the night before (using Type IV deicing fluid LOL!) was the toughest part. Now that procedure is considerably shorter and easier. Schedule your procedure for early morning because you will be very hungry when you wake up and you can go straight to lunch.
    Yes, the wonderful "clean out". If a Gatorade commercial comes on TV I have to change the channel before I start gagging. jrh
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My last one was in 2013 and the oncologist said he didn't need to see me until 2018. Decided today to move that up a year. Saw the doctor and he agreed that it's reasonable to get another one soon. Awaiting word, but I should be booked later this month.

I have a good incentive, actually. Health Services (government) flies me to the nearest hospital, 400-miles away in Yellowknife, they put me up in a hotel for three or four nights, give me $50 a day for meals and then fly me back home. I get to see my sons and do some shopping. I'm not out a penny. Hell of a deal! Why wouldn't I want a camera up my ass?
    Thanks Seaworthy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by N86250 View Post
    Yes, the wonderful "clean out". If a Gatorade commercial comes on TV I have to change the channel before I start gagging. jrh
    Yeah, if medicine has advanced so much, why can't they come up with something that tastes like Bailey's ... or a good Canadian beer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NunavutPA-12 View Post
    Yeah, if medicine has advanced so much, why can't they come up with something that tastes like Bailey's ... or a good Canadian beer?
    You can do it with pills instead.
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    You can do it with pills instead.
    Do the pills taste like Bailey's ... or a good Canadian beer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the pills taste like Bailey's ... or a good Canadian beer?
    Wash em down with Glenlivet.
    Eddie Foy
    Likes Steve's Aircraft (Brian), 68Papa liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I find it interesting in all of the above posts I can't see the word 'diet'.
    Obviously families tend to eat the same meal around the dinner table so is that where 'family history' comes into it, or is it the DNA? Randy?

The 'AVERAGE' American diet is shite, the Australian diet almost the same and having spent a good deal of time in the UK of late the diet there is double shite. (maybe I need a better class of accommodation)

But I've had the referal from the doctor on my bedside table for the past year and haven't 'manned-up' enough for the procedure. It's time.
    Thanks Christina Young thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Did it about two years ago. Turning 47 this year.
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just now put "schedule routine physical" into my do-it list. It'll end up including a colonoscopy, cuz it's been a few years. Im already a prostate cancer survivor, and the "c" word scares the heck out of me. Thanks for the reminder.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Likes nesincg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, turn 49 this year, a little nervous about going to the doctor fearing they might find bad things... anyone share that feeling? I need to find a cure for that..

Post Thanks / Like
    I had preopic drink. Doesn't taste bad at all. The only real issue is peeing out your but all night long. Who cares. Get over it. Just once every 5 years.

Better than being out of work for over a year like me.
    The aviator formally known as 89.
    Thanks Steve-N1964S thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife's son is 38. His father died of colon cancer at 31, which means he should have started screenings at 25. He did not. Believe it or not he works as a radiology tech, but kept putting off his colonoscopy. I backed him in a corner and put my finger on his chest and said, "You have a child now, you need to think of her, and I for one am not doing the "cancer support thing" again." He got his colonoscopy and they found 3 pre-cancerous polyps. It saved his life. Do not delay these things.
    Thanks Southern boy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie747 View Post
    Thanks, turn 49 this year, a little nervous about going to the doctor fearing they might find bad things... anyone share that feeling? I need to find a cure for that..
    I don't think your feelings are that unsual - we all have those types of fears, I think that's normal. I know men in their 60's that have never gone in for a colonoscopy or a prostate exam - and they never will!! Seem to have some phobia about having somebody probe and feel around those unspeakable, "nether regions". Nobody wants that - right??!!! But overcoming those fears is easy. Ask yourself a simple question; Do I want to live, or do I want to die a slow, pre-mature, uncomfortable death? When the joy of living a long, healthy life far exceeds the fear of the unknown, or the fear of having somebody put medical instruments up your ass, then you will learn to show up at your doctors office with your pants already down, around your ankles! We all need to put our pride aside, our fears aside and live.... Just sayin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie747 View Post
    Your feelings are very common. Had a great doc tell me once that the key is to find things before they become too bad to deal with easily. Remember, if they are there, they're there..... not going to the doc won't change that, but might catch something before it becomes serious or fatal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by texmex View Post
    Obviously families tend to eat the same meal around the dinner table so is that where 'family history' comes into it, or is it the DNA? Randy?

The 'AVERAGE' American diet is shite, the Australian diet almost the same and having spent a good deal of time in the UK of late the diet there is double shite. (maybe I need a better class of accommodation)

But I've had the referal from the doctor on my bedside table for the past year and haven't 'manned-up' enough for the procedure. It's time.
    This is actually a great point. There are some very good diets to keep cancer at bay. There are even alternative treatments for cancer using diet alone.

After my treatment, I plan on doing one of these diets just for a few months just to help ensure my future.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent point, texmex. We fall far short on fiber, and too far on fats and greases. Which is a bummer. I love bbq ribs. More on this subject later.

Randy
    Likes Seaworthy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Those of you who know me know that I had a bad experience with a colonoscopy several years ago. I have chosen not to go into that given that it would be entirely counterproductive to add a scare factor into a procedure that is actually very, very safe.

One word of caution, though...Vette the GI doc who is doing the procedure. Check them out, carefully. I thought I had, but was (almost dead) wrong.

Randy
    Thanks Steve-N1964S thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose View Post
    Those of you who know me know that I had a bad experience with a colonoscopy several years ago. I have chosen not to go into that given that it would be entirely counterproductive to add a scare factor into a procedure that is actually very, very safe.

One word of caution, though...Vette the GI doc who is doing the procedure. Check them out, carefully. I thought I had, but was (almost dead) wrong.

Randy
    Did u ever even think that some $100 bills might have had something to do with that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Randy
    Absolutely! I usually go to the guy that does them every day. Never had a problem. Let another surgeon do the scope once when he claimed he saw something in a CT scan and wanted to take a look. I should have suspected something was wrong when he wanted to look up my arse to find my gall bladder! That time was painful, and that evening I came real close to running out of blood. But the good news is that the bleeding stops when the blood pressure goes to nothing. Spent a night in the hospital and got a couple of pints of red stuff to get me going again.

That one experience doesn't put me off at all. The lesson was to make sure you see the guy that does them daily. My next time is coming up this spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Randy
    Was this in a Key West hospital?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post

Glenn
    Do me a favor and try to keep this discussion serious for now. There are times for quick one liners and this ain't one of them.

You had your screenings?
    Thanks FdxLou thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, Steve-N1964S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Prophylaxis/ Prevention

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-...revention.html

As some are aware--- I was employed actively in healthcare delivery (RN) for over twenty years. Have followed this thread with great interest and presently have a family member recently diagnosed. PLEASE-- reaching age 50-- do TWO things: schedule a colonoscopy-- and make damn sure your GP does a PSA ( Prostate Specific Antigen) test at your annual physical--simple blood test wrapped in with your other blood work. Kill two birds with one stone.

Prevention: As you can read from the enclosure URL-- a preventative diet is inconclusive--but not ruled out. I have spoken with multiple GI docs and most suspect that regular bowel habits ie having a bowel movement everyday reduces the amount of toxins collecting in your bowel awaiting evacuation. A high fiber diet offers additional stimulus to have a daily bowel movement. I have had people tell me that they go three and four days without a BM. I don't understand how that is possible, but I advise them that it simply is not a good practice for a multitude of reasons and they need to change their diet ie more fruits/veggies/ high fiber breakfast cereal/oatmeal etc.

Someone mentioned a female doc. Everyone has the same plumbing. I think after a certain age-- people just don't seem to care, but younger people are more reticent. Medical professionals just don't care--it's just anatomy and they have a job to do and do the best for their patient.

One other thing that is very important. be your own BEST ADVOCATE. If you have something going on-- and you know something just ain't right, see your physician/healthcare provider and tell them. If they don't find your concerns remarkable or of concern-- please--- don't take no for an answer--- tell them that you want the matter pursued because you wouldn't be there otherwise. Someone mentioned that an RN sat up and took notice. Most healthcare practitioners can tell the difference between a frequent flyer and someone that has a legitimate issue-- some have difficulty. Don't be afraid of being assertive--or if push comes to shove--go see someone else. When your GP gives you a referral for a GI guy-- ask: " Is this their specialty, do they do this on a regular basis? Go online and see if you can find if they have had "issues." You can go to the State Board of Registration in Medicine to ascertain if the physician has had past problems. Again--- be your own best advocate-- a knowledgeable consumer.
    Marine Corps Aviation since 1966
    Thanks Steve-N1964S, skywagon8a thanked for this post
    Likes 180Marty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The sad part is the participation. The only ones here are those already affected by it. I might have done the same thing last year. How do you "promote" this. Just like breast cancer awareness. How do we raise awareness when everyone pays no attention.
    Hey Chris...first of all, Jim and I are thinking of you and April and Effie daily. Secondly, I haven't been on sc.org for quite some time but logged in this afternoon and read this entire thread....and I thank you for posting this because I'm one of those people. My maternal grandmother and great-grandmother died of cancer in their early 80s that originated in the colon. My mom has had a couple of polyps removed (both in her 60s). I am overdue for my first given that I should be starting early because, you know. I had ACA as a self-employed person and two fellow self-employed people I'm close to got stuck with bills (from colonoscopies) that they shouldn't have. Then I went to airline training. Then I was on reserve. The last two were valid as no way was I able to schedule something during that time with a crazily unpredictable schedule, but I should have scheduled before I even started training. Now I am a lineholder and my March schedule includes 10 consecutive days off to end the month, so I will be calling next week and hopefully scheduling within that stretch. I knew I needed to get the ball rolling and I am just a hair younger than you but not by much. So yes, you have made a difference because I'm finally making the call.

Hang in there.

Sarah
    Thanks SJ, Steve-N1964S thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou, nesincg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    How would you like being a "stool analyst!" Talk about dirty jobs!
    Guess someone has to do it. Bet it's the junior guy.
    Hey, Eddie,

We're called Clinical Laboratory Scientists. I did it for 40 years and loved it. Bacteriology, virology, parasitology, hematology, chemistry, urinalysis, immunology, and immunohematology (blood bank). Stool occult blood analysis is just part of it, and not just the junior guy. Usually girl, actually. Most CLS's are women. I did it a lot even as a lab supervisor in the second busiest trauma center in California.

To the point of the thread: I just had my second one a couple of months ago. Both were done without any anesthesia. The prep was worse in both cases. Don't be afraid of it. It's even pretty cool to watch, particularly with the new HD cameras they use now!

Hey, maybe I should post the video here!

Tom
    Thanks 40m thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Texmex, exactly! This thread is surely depressing, and as many others have said here, this is entirely preventable!

Cancer is caused by inflammation (could be from a variety of different sources... radiation, UV, chemicals, bad diet, etc), but this one is in the digestive system, which is now dominated by highly inflammatory omega 6 industrial vegetable oils (didn't exist 60 years ago and do not occur in nature) and processed carbage!

Fiber is a red herring -- the dogma of fiber as a "healthy" was totally invented back in 1971 by Denis Burkitt (a contemporary of fraudster Ancel Keys who did the anti-saturated fat "7 countries study" that conveniently left out a whole bunch of other countries for which the data didn't agree with his conclusions). He went to Uganda and came up with a "study" that showed this one native tribe didn't get heart disease because they ate some fiber. He ignored other tribes in the same area that also didn't get heart disease but didn't eat any fiber! Like the Ancel Keys fiasco, the one also took off due to a powerful alliance of politicians, medical establishment, and the food industry.

See more info here:

To make matters worse on the colon cancer front, now you have pill pusher doctors prescribing statins for everything! Why is this related? Because these dangerous drugs are designed to interfere with critical liver and cellular function to decrease LDL-C levels in the blood, under the false premise that this will reduce the risk of heart attacks (when in fact statins actually increase heart attack risk: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25655639).

Cholesterol is an anti-oxidant that is used to repair inflammatory damage (LDL-C is the delivery mechanism to the cells where it is needed). That includes inflammatory damage in the bowels! Here is a discussion with links to multiple scientific studies about this -- showing that LDL-C levels are inversely correlated with colon cancer: http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.c...%20cholesterol

The bottom line is that to reduce your risk of colon cancer, eat real food that our small digestive systems were meant to eat -- which includes healthy doses of animal fat (loaded in nutrients that are hard to get from other sources, like D3, CoQ10 and K2) and anti-inflammatory omega 3 fatty acids (especially DHA & EPA) to counter inflammatory omega 6's. Avoid vegetable fats and processed carbage (which makes up about 80% of the content of your average supermarket today).
    Likes fobjob, 180Marty, WWhunter liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I know there is nothing funny about colon cancer, but I always find a little humor helps me get through rough times. I am sure that most of you have seen this video before, but for those that have not , here it is. There is a 30 second advertisement before the video begins that I couldn't get rid of.
    http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li.../2823748?snl=1
    Thanks Bill Rusk thanked for this post
    Likes Rice farmer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry Sgt Rock, but humor is frowned upon here.

Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    My apologies, Eddie. I didn't mean it to suppress humor. Far from it.
    It was only meant to enlighten...

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn
    Come on Glenn. You're on this site every day. Have you had a colonoscopy? Serious question.

I'm sorry to those who who think I'm suppressing humor. I think I deserve to have time devoted to a serious matter. Making light jokes will surely be a way of bringing up this matter around friends and campfires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nesincg View Post
    Come on Glenn. You're on this site every day. Have you had a colonoscopy? Serious question.

I'm sorry to those who who think I'm suppressing humor. I think I deserve to have time devoted to a serious matter. Making light jokes will surely be a way of bringing up this matter around friends and campfires.
    Sorry, was just picking on Randy not on your important message. And at 61 I'm still unexplored

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Started at 40 due to family history and now every five years I make the appointment for the technician screw a light bulb in the end of a garden hose so the Dr. can tell me to relax and when it finished I live easier knowing that what's unseen has been seen.

Actually, the science is pretty interesting. My firm finished a large Gastro clinic last year with multiple procedure suites plus expansive prep and recovery spaces and all I can say is it's impressive and there is no excuse.

We've all lost way to many friends to colon cancer so for me it's modern medicine at its best combined with ever better eating habits (less chemicals and fast foods) for a combined to all of the above approach!

Do it
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 02-20-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    "Don't feed the hipsters"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fobjob View Post
    I'm not sure where they get this crap, but I can't find any links to actual science on that website, and it also repeats a lot of stuff that has been totally debunked. Here's a couple of actual scientific studies regarding meat and colon cancer:

Meat, fish and fat intake in relation to subsite-specific risk of colorectal cancer: The Fukuoka Colorectal Cancer Study

Excerpt: Our findings do not support the hypothesis that consumption of red meat increases colorectal cancer risk but do suggest that high intake of fish may decrease the risk, particularly of distal colon cancer.

Meta-analysis of animal fat or animal protein intake and colorectal cancer

Excerpt: On the basis of the results of this quantitative assessment, the available epidemiologic evidence does not appear to support an independent association between animal fat intake or animal protein intake and colorectal cancer.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't remember all of Chairman Mao's prescription for good health in his little red book, at the time demanded of half of the world's population. I believe China was turning out doctors in six months for The Great Leap Forward. I mused that's about all the education needed if Mao's rules were followed: lots of exercise, lots of water, lots of green leafy vegetables, keep you bowels clean. Can't remember about meat. The country appeared to take it to heart, from the looks of those slender bodies on the streets today. Mao himself not so much although he lived to over 80. I attribute my old age to positive outlook, exercise and notions that smoking is poison and all the rest should be taken in moderation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry, was just picking on Randy not on your important message. And at 61 I'm still unexplored

Glenn
    How can I convince you to man up and get it done?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Jones View Post
    Hey, Eddie,

We're called Clinical Laboratory Scientists. I did it for 40 years and loved it. Bacteriology, virology, parasitology, hematology, chemistry, urinalysis, immunology, and immunohematology (blood bank). Stool occult blood analysis is just part of it, and not just the junior guy. Usually girl, actually. Most CLS's are women. I did it a lot even as a lab supervisor in the second busiest trauma center in California.

To the point of the thread: I just had my second one a couple of months ago. Both were done without any anesthesia. The prep was worse in both cases. Don't be afraid of it. It's even pretty cool to watch, particularly with the new HD cameras they use now!

Hey, maybe I should post the video here!

Tom
    TJ

The GI guy that did my last one found some polyps and knew I would be interested in seeing them and watching the removal. He backed off the versed and/ or ketamine and I was almost 100% conscious and he showed me what he had found and went through the removal procedure as I was watching and asking questions. When he had completed the task he upped the amnesiac/sedative and I went out again, but I had some recall.

TC
    Marine Corps Aviation since 1966

Post Thanks / Like
    My first exam many years ago I watched on a monitor and he removed some polyps, the last one I had the Dr. in his business suit watched the monitor and a young lady did the procedure while I was out. He did send me home with a bunch of pictures, I did not take them to the coffee shop for show and tell. He did tell me to come back in six years but, I believe I will be beyond the cut off age of 75 or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been checked out twice. Right before I retired I went and had the 200,000 mile check up. It was a comprehensive physical. When you get older you have to listen to doctors. I have recently adapted a new diet that is completely plant based. I hope it will last as when the nice wx hits I usually have something going on the smoker. It's expensive to eat healthy unless you have a green thumb. If you have netflix watch "Forks over knives" if you haven't already. Big eye opener.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Christina Young View Post
    I'm not sure where they get this crap, but I can't find any links to actual science on that website, and it also repeats a lot of stuff that has been totally debunked. Here's a couple of actual scientific studies regarding meat and colon cancer:
    Well, I was wondering what you would think of that site...His main talent is to make a cogent brief documentary, but his philosophy has some issues. Right now I'm trying to de-conflict his vegan philosophy to the ketogenic approach. I see what I believe is confirmation bias, but when you see that, it can just be a reflection of your (my) own.
    Last edited by fobjob; 02-20-2017 at 09:56 PM.
    Thanks Christina Young thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub junkie View Post
    I've been checked out twice. Right before I retired I went and had the 200,000 mile check up. It was a comprehensive physical. When you get older you have to listen to doctors. I have recently adapted a new diet that is completely plant based. I hope it will last as when the nice wx hits I usually have something going on the smoker. It's expensive to eat healthy unless you have a green thumb. If you have netflix watch "Forks over knives" if you haven't already. Big eye opener.
    https://www.forksoverknives.com/
    N1PA