• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Do you have your head up your ass?

"Word of mouth" is the best promotion tool we know. I act on---or don't---from what I read here. When people are together they talk of what they're doing and how they feel about what they're doing. That's it. Make colonoscopy part of our conversations. It's common to think of the procedure as unmanly. Get the word around that it's what smart people do. It's painless and a sure way to add flying years to our lives.

I mentioned more than 30 years ago to my female doctor that I'm 50 and mumbled something that left the impressions I wasn't sure about it with a woman. "Do you want me to make an appointment with a male doctor," she said. Put on the spot, I thought she's a helluva doctor, she either is my doctor or isn't, and said No.

"Get up on the table," she said. "Take down your pants and face the wall." She examined at the rectum, said what she felt was okay, and made an appointment for a colonoscopy. Subsequent examinations turned up polyps. I make a point of discussing them as a manly thing to do, and brag a bit about my wonderful doctor.

This is the most preventable of cancers. The colonoscopy is easy, just tell the doctor you want to be "out like a bear getting a radio collar". Just one important thing. Pick a doctor who does a lot of colonoscopies. The procedure is not without risk, but a doctor who is highly experienced reduces that risk to near zero. If you are over 50 or over 40 with a family history do not do the fecal test or the virtual colonoscopy. Both those really will only give a positive after cancer has exploded. Do the real deal and what polyps are found can be dealt with then and there. "One and done" is what is nice about the procedure.

It used to be the "clean out" the night before (using Type IV deicing fluid LOL!) was the toughest part. Now that procedure is considerably shorter and easier. Schedule your procedure for early morning because you will be very hungry when you wake up and you can go straight to lunch.

Can I ask if you have any family history or other known risk factors for colon cancer? I ask because the general recommendation is to start colonoscopies at 50 unless there is a family history, in which case the recommendation is 40. I'm 38 and don't have a family history, but I teach enough about cancer in my high school Biology classes to know that I'm going to take screening seriously when the time comes.

I have no family history of it, until now.

Checkups starting at 50 just aren't enough. I'm proof. Knowledge is key to signs before 50. How do we give out knowledge. Make it okay to talk about? Let's discuss that here: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showt...ancer-Screening-Lest-We-Forget-David-Jaranson

If you can't discuss it there, put it here and I'll keep two threads going. The more than understand, the better.

I posted this the other thread:

"Word of mouth" is the best promotion tool we know. I act on---or don't---from what I read here. When people are together they talk of what they're doing and how they feel about what they're doing. That's it. Make colonoscopy part of our conversations. It's common to think of the procedure as unmanly. Get the word around that it's what smart people do. It's painless and a sure way to add flying years to our lives.

I mentioned more than 30 years ago to my female doctor that I'm 50 and mumbled something that left the impressions I wasn't sure about it with a woman. "Do you want me to make an appointment with a male doctor," she said. Put on the spot, I thought she's a helluva doctor, she either is my doctor or isn't, and said No.

"Get up on the table," she said. "Take down your pants and face the wall." She examined at the rectum, said what she felt was okay, and made an appointment for a colonoscopy. Subsequent examinations turned up polyps. I make a point of discussing them as a manly thing to do, and brag a bit about my wonderful doctor.

Folks, I have merged the two threads that have to do with the important message that Chris Nesin wants to get out. All posts will be directed to this thread. Please go to Post #10 to see his initial post. It is very important. I chose to leave in Supercub Cafe to provide a broader audience...but please don't forget about Medical Matters!

Randy

Last edited:
I like it that you kept my title. Good click bait.

Come on people, more discussion!!!

Who here is going to schedule a screening becuase of this thread? Man up and make the appointment. Let's hear from you!

I like it that you kept my title. Good click bait.

Come on people, more discussion!!!

Who here is going to schedule a screening becuase of this thread? Man up and make the appointment. Let's hear from you!
I am overdue. Made the appointment today.

In 2001 a Glens Falls, NY girl was diagnosed with Stage 2 colon cancer at age 23. An outpouring of community support erupted to educate and ultimately entertain via the "Colossal Colon". https://www.unmc.edu/news.cfm?match=2018. A 40' long 4' high interactive colon was built by a local stage production company and a nationwide "crawl thru the colon" tour was begun so you could get up close and personal with all the colon diseases. She has survived and I am glad to read that you will also Chris, my best wishes to you and your family, Jim

Lost my father to this when he was 56. That was in 1973 and we were in complete shock as a family of innocents about such things. Today's medicine is 100% better., so there's no excuse for not having this done. I'm in at the beginning of April. Painless and no memory of anything. Do it. It might save your life.

It used to be the "clean out" the night before (using Type IV deicing fluid LOL!) was the toughest part. Now that procedure is considerably shorter and easier. Schedule your procedure for early morning because you will be very hungry when you wake up and you can go straight to lunch.

Yes, the wonderful "clean out". If a Gatorade commercial comes on TV I have to change the channel before I start gagging. jrh

My last one was in 2013 and the oncologist said he didn't need to see me until 2018. Decided today to move that up a year. Saw the doctor and he agreed that it's reasonable to get another one soon. Awaiting word, but I should be booked later this month.

I have a good incentive, actually. Health Services (government) flies me to the nearest hospital, 400-miles away in Yellowknife, they put me up in a hotel for three or four nights, give me $50 a day for meals and then fly me back home. I get to see my sons and do some shopping. I'm not out a penny. Hell of a deal! Why wouldn't I want a camera up my ass?

Yes, the wonderful "clean out". If a Gatorade commercial comes on TV I have to change the channel before I start gagging. jrh

Yeah, if medicine has advanced so much, why can't they come up with something that tastes like Bailey's ... or a good Canadian beer? :lol:

I find it interesting in all of the above posts I can't see the word 'diet'.
Obviously families tend to eat the same meal around the dinner table so is that where 'family history' comes into it, or is it the DNA? Randy?

The 'AVERAGE' American diet is shite, the Australian diet almost the same and having spent a good deal of time in the UK of late the diet there is double shite. (maybe I need a better class of accommodation)

But I've had the referal from the doctor on my bedside table for the past year and haven't 'manned-up' enough for the procedure. It's time.

Just now put "schedule routine physical" into my do-it list. It'll end up including a colonoscopy, cuz it's been a few years. Im already a prostate cancer survivor, and the "c" word scares the heck out of me. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks, turn 49 this year, a little nervous about going to the doctor fearing they might find bad things... anyone share that feeling? I need to find a cure for that..

Yeah, if medicine has advanced so much, why can't they come up with something that tastes like Bailey's ... or a good Canadian beer? :lol:
I had preopic drink. Doesn't taste bad at all. The only real issue is peeing out your but all night long. Who cares. Get over it. Just once every 5 years.

Better than being out of work for over a year like me.

My wife's son is 38. His father died of colon cancer at 31, which means he should have started screenings at 25. He did not. Believe it or not he works as a radiology tech, but kept putting off his colonoscopy. I backed him in a corner and put my finger on his chest and said, "You have a child now, you need to think of her, and I for one am not doing the "cancer support thing" again." He got his colonoscopy and they found 3 pre-cancerous polyps. It saved his life. Do not delay these things.

Thanks, turn 49 this year, a little nervous about going to the doctor fearing they might find bad things... anyone share that feeling? I need to find a cure for that..

I don't think your feelings are that unsual - we all have those types of fears, I think that's normal. I know men in their 60's that have never gone in for a colonoscopy or a prostate exam - and they never will!! Seem to have some phobia about having somebody probe and feel around those unspeakable, "nether regions". Nobody wants that - right??!!! But overcoming those fears is easy. Ask yourself a simple question; Do I want to live, or do I want to die a slow, pre-mature, uncomfortable death? When the joy of living a long, healthy life far exceeds the fear of the unknown, or the fear of having somebody put medical instruments up your ass, then you will learn to show up at your doctors office with your pants already down, around your ankles! We all need to put our pride aside, our fears aside and live.... Just sayin.

Your feelings are very common. Had a great doc tell me once that the key is to find things before they become too bad to deal with easily. Remember, if they are there, they're there..... not going to the doc won't change that, but might catch something before it becomes serious or fatal.

Obviously families tend to eat the same meal around the dinner table so is that where 'family history' comes into it, or is it the DNA? Randy?

The 'AVERAGE' American diet is shite, the Australian diet almost the same and having spent a good deal of time in the UK of late the diet there is double shite. (maybe I need a better class of accommodation)

But I've had the referal from the doctor on my bedside table for the past year and haven't 'manned-up' enough for the procedure. It's time.
This is actually a great point. There are some very good diets to keep cancer at bay. There are even alternative treatments for cancer using diet alone.

After my treatment, I plan on doing one of these diets just for a few months just to help ensure my future.

Excellent point, texmex. We fall far short on fiber, and too far on fats and greases. Which is a bummer. I love bbq ribs. More on this subject later.

Randy

Those of you who know me know that I had a bad experience with a colonoscopy several years ago. I have chosen not to go into that given that it would be entirely counterproductive to add a scare factor into a procedure that is actually very, very safe.

One word of caution, though...Vette the GI doc who is doing the procedure. Check them out, carefully. I thought I had, but was (almost dead) wrong.

Randy

Those of you who know me know that I had a bad experience with a colonoscopy several years ago. I have chosen not to go into that given that it would be entirely counterproductive to add a scare factor into a procedure that is actually very, very safe.

One word of caution, though...Vette the GI doc who is doing the procedure. Check them out, carefully. I thought I had, but was (almost dead) wrong.

Randy

Did u ever even think that some $100 bills might have had something to do with that? [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Randy

Absolutely! I usually go to the guy that does them every day. Never had a problem. Let another surgeon do the scope once when he claimed he saw something in a CT scan and wanted to take a look. I should have suspected something was wrong when he wanted to look up my arse to find my gall bladder! That time was painful, and that evening I came real close to running out of blood. But the good news is that the bleeding stops when the blood pressure goes to nothing. Spent a night in the hospital and got a couple of pints of red stuff to get me going again.

That one experience doesn't put me off at all. The lesson was to make sure you see the guy that does them daily. My next time is coming up this spring.

Randy

Was this in a Key West hospital?

Glenn

Back