Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you have your head up your ass?

Post Thanks / Like

Colorectal Cancer Screening...Lest We Forget David Jaranson

Folks, I learned recently that two of our brothers and sisters here on Supercub.org have recently been diagnosed with colon cancer. With this in mind, here is the recommendations from the CDC for colorectal cancer screening colonoscopies...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	guidelines.JPG 
Views:	2311 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	30292

Please don't dismiss the importance of a screening colonoscopy. I know that many of us were touched by the life of David Jaranson, who passed away from colon cancer. While not a perfect screening tool, it is the best that we now have. Please visit with your health care professional and get this done if you haven't already done so.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    For more information, please visit the following excellent website...

https://www.cancer.org/cancer/colon-...endations.html

Randy
    Thanks eskflyer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll echo the above. Two friends struggling with it currently and very preventable. I hit 50 recently and within a week made my appointment. Just had my screening (no big deal). Doc's exact words after finding (and removing) a few "gems" was..."it's a good thing you had this done now". Don't mess around...too much fun to be had to let something like this get in the way if it can be prevented. Another tidbit...in my case my insurance treats a "screening colonoscopy" as preventative so no out of pocket copay.
    NC30284 1940 J3C65
    Thanks WindOnHisNose, eskflyer, sjohnson thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I would echo the same. When my younger brother had his routine "welcome to 50" colonoscopy he was a bit surprised when the Dr asked if he was having problems or just a routine welcome to 50 exam? A week later he had 10" of "pre-cancerous" colon removed. The screening was a life saver for him. I am also on routine 3 year screening thanks to pre-cancerous barnacles that keep popping up in there. It's not pleasant, but it sure beats the alternative.
    Likes 68Papa, Jeanie Jaranson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is very real in my house! Less than a year ago, my wife was having what we thought was some minor intestinal issues. Went to our normal doctors, they really were not concerned. Actually, they ignored my wife's own concern enough that she kept pushing the issue to anybody that would listen. She ended up at a women's health clinic and it was the nurse that took the time to really listen to her, and she immediately scheduled a colonoscopy, "just to be safe". 3 days later, did the colonoscopy. Found a large, cancerous tumor. One week later, in surgery to remove 15" of her colon. Stage 3 colon cancer. She has just completed 6 months of Chemotherapy. Here's the deal; She's a 44 year old woman, with no family history, no genetic disposition for colon cancer, and no reason she should have it. What most would consider minor issues, what most doctors ignored, what a simple colonoscopy discovered was something that if left ignored would have taken my wife's life!! I am so happy and thankful that the nurse listened and that my wife is alive and healthy!! Life is short enough as it is, and in comparison --- colonoscopy's are cheap! Don't wait!!
    Thanks utb 44E, eskflyer, Jeanie Jaranson thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Randy for starting this. I am one those people Randy is referring to. Stage 3 colon cancer at Age 43, no prior family history.

How could I know of David Jaranson and and not get checked out sooner? Here is a quote list:
    Im too young
    I'm sure I just ate something bad
    this will heal up
    what did that guy have?
    i don't have time to deal with this
    It's probably hemorrhoids, (said by one of my doctors).
    this is just part of getting old

As you can see, denial is the answer. When seeing the radiologist, he asked me when I KNEW. Sadly my answer was 4 months ago. And that is when I knew something was really wrong. The signs have been there over a year.

My prognosis is very good. I don't plan on having anything named after me any time soon. I will be here to help my daughter. i'll be back for more chatting. For now, it is off to see my baby girl and pray for her health.

let the discussion continue: how do we get 4 months down to a week? How do we convince others?
    The aviator formally known as 89.
    Thanks 68Papa, SJ, cafi19, WindOnHisNose, cubscout and 6 others thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Powerful words, Chris. Thank you for sharing this. I am glad to know that you are likely to post things here for a long, long time.

Randy
    Likes eskflyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WindOnHisNose View Post
    Powerful words, Chris. Thank you for sharing this. I am glad to know that you are likely to post things here for a long, long time.

Randy
    The sad part is the participation. The only ones here are those already affected by it. I might have done the same thing last year. How do you "promote" this. Just like breast cancer awareness. How do we raise awareness when everyone pays no attention.

I'm going to try to fix this
    Last edited by nesincg; 02-15-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    Thanks eskflyer, Steve-N1964S thanked for this post
    Likes 39-J3 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The only people I know personally that have gotten it, got it in their 40s. So I'd sure like to see the recommended change first scope at 40.
    Likes 68Papa, SteveE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have your head up your ass?

If you do, then perhaps you can give yourself a colonoscopy. If you don't, then you need to have someone examine you.

I have Colon Cancer at 43. Let me be a lesson to you. Please join us in this thread in medical matters with ideas of to promote this easily preventable disease.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...David-Jaranson
    Thanks eskflyer, Steve Pierce, fly_cubs, 99C5Pilot thanked for this post
    Likes SJ, SteveE, fly_cubs, WindOnHisNose, 39-J3 and 2 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Can I ask if you have any family history or other known risk factors for colon cancer? I ask because the general recommendation is to start colonoscopies at 50 unless there is a family history, in which case the recommendation is 40. I'm 38 and don't have a family history, but I teach enough about cancer in my high school Biology classes to know that I'm going to take screening seriously when the time comes.
    Thanks kase thanked for this post
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How early is too early for health screenings? I am 28, average build, not overweight, and have (not medicated) high blood pressure. Everybody in my family pretty well does, so I have been told it's hereditary. Also have on both sides of the family heart related issues including the need for heart valve replacements. For the sake of my future and that of my growing family's, I plan on starting complete health screenings including EKGs at age 30.

Hope your fight goes well nesincg, you'll have a big support base here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad lost his life to colon cancer in his mid 60s. Probably as a result my sister was a nurse in a colonoscopy clinic for the latter part of her career. Imagine the Thanksgiving table conversations! I've had a few colonoscopies starting at 40. Two rules apply. My sis can't be present for my procedures and the doc has to use enough versed or propofol that I can't remember a thing. Easy peasey.

Some of you Alaska guys may remember Craig Elg, who owned Regal Air for several years. He, too, was taken way too young by colon cancer. Get tested.
    Thanks WindOnHisNose, cubpilot2 thanked for this post
    Likes 68Papa, Chicken Hawk, barbwire liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My sister in law at 40 has Rectal cancer that has spread to her lungs... Stage 4 terminal... single mother with 3 kids, so you can imagine what I will be taking on in the next year or so... I'm 44 and this has been on my mind lately... no family history for Colon cancer but I am seriously considering starting the procedures early...

Hope your fight goes well nesincg... I am sure all of us here have you back..

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    For those near someone or that have experienced colon cancer, were there any symptoms prior to diagnosis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    For those near someone or that have experienced colon cancer, were there any symptoms prior to diagnosis?

Blood in the stool is often one of the first signs. At that point the cancer may be already spreading, though not necessarily. Colonoscopies aim to detect polyps and remove them. While not all polyps will become cancerous, all colon cancers start as a polyp.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I had mine. I asked the Doc if there was any sign of my head up there? He said no.. So there where a lot of people that kept telling me "that I had my head up there", that where just full of it!
    Tim
    Likes mike mcs repair, barbwire liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Had a tennis ball sized tumor removed in 2005. No symptoms whatsoever; my Doc had convinced me to get checked because I was 55 yrs. old. Cancer was confined in the tumor at that point. Whew!
    Likes CamTom12, JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a blood test for stool, real easy. Just mail it back to them in the container provided. Insurance paid for mine....it can have false negatives, and false positives, but it's a whole lot better than nothing. Cologuard, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was diagnosed with colon cancer 13-years ago at age 54. The docs removed 18-inches of my large intestine, I had chemo once a month for six months, and I'm still here making a nuisance of myself. The whole exercise has not affected my day to day life in any way, so I guess I'm a pretty lucky guy. I even have an airplane!

I've had quite a few routine colonoscopies over the last few years. There's really nothing much to them and no good reason to avoid having one. The worst part of the whole procedure is drinking that god-awful stuff as prep! The colonoscopy itself is a mild inconvenience by comparison.
    Last edited by NunavutPA-12; 02-16-2017 at 01:57 PM.
    Thanks WindOnHisNose thanked for this post
    Likes CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fobjob View Post
    There is a blood test for stool, real easy. Just mail it back to them in the container provided. Insurance paid for mine....it can have false negatives, and false positives, but it's a whole lot better than nothing. Cologuard, I believe.
    How would you like being a "stool analyst!" Talk about dirty jobs!
    Guess someone has to do it. Bet it's the junior guy.
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

Post Thanks / Like
    You can now be tested with a blood test I think

Post Thanks / Like
    Once I saw what my wife went through during childbirth I never figured a K-Y exam or colonoscopy was very remarkable!
    Likes SteveE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post

Please go to this thread, where you will find useful information: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...David-Jaranson

Thanks for catching our attention, Chris.

Randy
    Thanks CamTom12 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    About 5 years ago I had some colon removed. They wanted me to go back every 90 days for a colonoscopy for awhile. Havent been back. Tons of it in my family. Several aunts and uncles have perished from it. GOD bless you and your family.
    Remember , the light at the end of the tunnel may be you .O wind of heaven by thy might save all who dare the eagles flight, and keep them by thy watchful care from every peril in the air.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's why we have check lists. Colonoscopies are part of mine beginning age 50. Polyps found every time. My father died of colon cancer age 83.

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of you Alaska guys may remember Craig Elg, who owned Regal Air for several years. He, too, was taken way too young by colon cancer. Get tested.[/QUOTE]

OMG!! when did this happen? I lost track of him after he moved to Arizona. He was a great guy and friend. I feel in shock......
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like
    Two years ago. Man, time passes quickly.
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/adn...?pid=174277142
    Thanks cubpilot2 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    cubpilot2...Here's another link for Craig's obituary...

http://www.wickenburgfuneralhome.com...ser_id=1512207
    Thanks cubpilot2 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    "Word of mouth" is the best promotion tool we know. I act on---or don't---from what I read here. When people are together they talk of what they're doing and how they feel about what they're doing. That's it. Make colonoscopy part of our conversations. It's common to think of the procedure as unmanly. Get the word around that it's what smart people do. It's painless and a sure way to add flying years to our lives.

I mentioned more than 30 years ago to my female doctor that I'm 50 and mumbled something that left the impressions I wasn't sure about it with a woman. "Do you want me to make an appointment with a male doctor," she said. Put on the spot, I thought she's a helluva doctor, she either is my doctor or isn't, and said No.

"Get up on the table," she said. "Take down your pants and face the wall." She examined at the rectum, said what she felt was okay, and made an appointment for a colonoscopy. Subsequent examinations turned up polyps. I make a point of discussing them as a manly thing to do, and brag a bit about my wonderful doctor.
    Likes nesincg, CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the most preventable of cancers. The colonoscopy is easy, just tell the doctor you want to be "out like a bear getting a radio collar". Just one important thing. Pick a doctor who does a lot of colonoscopies. The procedure is not without risk, but a doctor who is highly experienced reduces that risk to near zero. If you are over 50 or over 40 with a family history do not do the fecal test or the virtual colonoscopy. Both those really will only give a positive after cancer has exploded. Do the real deal and what polyps are found can be dealt with then and there. "One and done" is what is nice about the procedure.

It used to be the "clean out" the night before (using Type IV deicing fluid LOL!) was the toughest part. Now that procedure is considerably shorter and easier. Schedule your procedure for early morning because you will be very hungry when you wake up and you can go straight to lunch.
    Thanks nesincg thanked for this post
    Likes thunderhead85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Can I ask if you have any family history or other known risk factors for colon cancer? I ask because the general recommendation is to start colonoscopies at 50 unless there is a family history, in which case the recommendation is 40. I'm 38 and don't have a family history, but I teach enough about cancer in my high school Biology classes to know that I'm going to take screening seriously when the time comes.
    I have no family history of it, until now.

Checkups starting at 50 just aren't enough. I'm proof. Knowledge is key to signs before 50. How do we give out knowledge. Make it okay to talk about? Let's discuss that here: http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...David-Jaranson

If you can't discuss it there, put it here and I'll keep two threads going. The more than understand, the better.
    Thanks Jeanie Jaranson thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pzinck View Post
    Havent been back.
    Why not?

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this the other thread:

"Word of mouth" is the best promotion tool we know. I act on---or don't---from what I read here. When people are together they talk of what they're doing and how they feel about what they're doing. That's it. Make colonoscopy part of our conversations. It's common to think of the procedure as unmanly. Get the word around that it's what smart people do. It's painless and a sure way to add flying years to our lives.

I mentioned more than 30 years ago to my female doctor that I'm 50 and mumbled something that left the impressions I wasn't sure about it with a woman. "Do you want me to make an appointment with a male doctor," she said. Put on the spot, I thought she's a helluva doctor, she either is my doctor or isn't, and said No.

"Get up on the table," she said. "Take down your pants and face the wall." She examined at the rectum, said what she felt was okay, and made an appointment for a colonoscopy. Subsequent examinations turned up polyps. I make a point of discussing them as a manly thing to do, and brag a bit about my wonderful doctor.
    Thanks Brian M thanked for this post
    Likes FdxLou liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Folks, I have merged the two threads that have to do with the important message that Chris Nesin wants to get out. All posts will be directed to this thread. Please go to Post #10 to see his initial post. It is very important. I chose to leave in Supercub Cafe to provide a broader audience...but please don't forget about Medical Matters!

Randy
    Last edited by WindOnHisNose; 02-17-2017 at 01:54 PM.
    Likes FdxLou, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like it that you kept my title. Good click bait.

Come on people, more discussion!!!

Who here is going to schedule a screening becuase of this thread? Man up and make the appointment. Let's hear from you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nesincg View Post
    I like it that you kept my title. Good click bait.

Come on people, more discussion!!!

Who here is going to schedule a screening becuase of this thread? Man up and make the appointment. Let's hear from you!
    I am overdue. Made the appointment today.
    Eddie Foy
    Likes WindOnHisNose, nesincg liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In 2001 a Glens Falls, NY girl was diagnosed with Stage 2 colon cancer at age 23. An outpouring of community support erupted to educate and ultimately entertain via the "Colossal Colon". https://www.unmc.edu/news.cfm?match=2018. A 40' long 4' high interactive colon was built by a local stage production company and a nationwide "crawl thru the colon" tour was begun so you could get up close and personal with all the colon diseases. She has survived and I am glad to read that you will also Chris, my best wishes to you and your family, Jim
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Lost my father to this when he was 56. That was in 1973 and we were in complete shock as a family of innocents about such things. Today's medicine is 100% better., so there's no excuse for not having this done. I'm in at the beginning of April. Painless and no memory of anything. Do it. It might save your life.
    Likes nesincg liked this post