Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison Ford Screw Up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    I guess the tower folks didn't monitor his approach and flight path and offer prompt corrective action. Conflict alerts on their electronics and reply to his question regarding the jet in front and below. I wonder what the obligation is from them to do that?

GAP
    Exactly what I thought. This past summer I had to drop my daughter off in Portland so she could catch a commercial flight. It was kinda hazy and the tower was working a jet blue and several fedex caravans plus me in a cub. I might have lined up on the intersecting runway because said daughter is pitching a fit to go pee in the back. He caught my screwup 5 miles out. I agree you would think the tower could have seen it developing, although his heading would have been right I suppose.

Jim
    Thanks richard thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    I guess the tower folks didn't monitor his approach and flight path and offer prompt corrective action. Conflict alerts on their electronics and reply to his question regarding the jet in front and below. I wonder what the obligation is from them to do that?

GAP
    You are kidding, right?

He said nothing about the 737 until he had over flown it and landed.

John Wayne is not Bush flying.
    Last edited by Eddie Foy; 02-16-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    Eddie Foy
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aviationinfo View Post
    I am frankly more disappointed with that NTSB guy for jumping to a conclusion without having seen the results of any investigation, than I am with whoever it was that was flying the Husky. Really unprofessional. If this is how the safety branch of our aviation infrastructure is going to examine information, then it calls into question its ability as a board to arrive at a conclusion devoid of hype.

EDIT: I see the NTSB guy that the story quoted is a former chair. Still, you would think he'd know better than to make comments like that.

I was involved in a mid-air in 2002 witnessed by my parents who were behind me. The NTSB investigator told my parents not to talk to the press. The next day was an illustration of a PA16 overtaking an RV6 and when the preliminary report came out it was the same as is the final report. NTSB has there own agenda. Lesson I learned, get your version out first and the NTSB isn't impartial.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks aviationinfo, Jim Hann thanked for this post
    Likes R. JOHNSON, TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was once cleared to land over top of a Bonanza sitting on the numbers on the runway I was cleared to land on. This was at Phoenix/Deer Valley. I had never been there before and had never been cleared to land over top of and aircraft on the numbers. So I lined up on the parallel taxiway. I was issued a go around from the tower and got an ass chewing. When the tower was informed there was an aircraft sitting on the numbers, the conversation abruptly ended.
    Likes TopHeavy, Jim Hann liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just assumed that Harrison recently got new Bushwheels, and was trying to minimize taxi distance to the FBO?
    Likes TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Foy View Post
    You are kidding, right?

He said nothing about the 737 until he had over flown it and landed.

John Wayne is not Bush flying.
    I would have asked prior to flying over the jet holding for 20-L, but I'm not sure exactly when he made his call on the jet. That's a good point and it'll all be timed out at some point.

Still, I've had tower folks get nervous about approach alignment when landing on parallel runways (especially with parallel traffic) and make corrective calls some distance from the threshold. That's why I asked about their obligation in this circumstance.

GAP

Post Thanks / Like
    It can happen... I tried to land my C180 at Knoxville on 5R, but was lined up with the taxiway between the parallels. I realized my error on about 1 mile final and landing where I was supposed to. It is amazing his we can get fixated and it sometimes takes someone to whack you in the head to see clearly. Sorry it happened to a well known flyer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice to see so many in the GA community supporting one of their own!!?? With very limited information and only a TV account, we know TV news never gets it wrong !

Post Thanks / Like
    He was cleared to land on 20L. He landed on taxiway C.
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, after more searching around I am thinking that audio recording, of which I found in two different locations, is false.

It uses the old runway numbers, as the current markings are 02/20. I had them reversed. And it uses the incorrect tail number. Neither of which make sense. Best answer, false audio track.

Eddie, I believe you are correct.

Removed above misleading posts.
    Here's a photo of a good idea on taxiway markings.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jg7985.png 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	30326
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0216-harrison-ford-landing-tmz-7.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	30324  
    Last edited by Farmboy; 02-16-2017 at 06:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like 3 runways, aside from the yellow markings. Looks like a bus taxiing to the far left.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ap026307.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	284.1 KB 
ID:	30327

Post Thanks / Like
    So we're now up to post fifty two, counting this one on a non event, as reported by a television station, and we all know that those folks never get a story wrong.....

As someone noted earlier, if this hadn't been Han Solo, none of us would have heard anything about it. Nor would the NTSB be involved.

Maybe some of us should get over ourselves, and wait for an "official" report on the incident?

MTV
    Thanks sodak, WindOnHisNose thanked for this post
    Likes 40m, n40ff, skukum12, eviens, Cub Kid liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    One man's opinion!
    Who said the NTSB was involved?
    Last edited by Eddie Foy; 02-16-2017 at 06:24 PM.
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    One man's opinion!
    Who said the NTSB was involved?
    A former NTSB chairman shot his mouth off to CBS news. That condemned the whole organisation.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I repeat the question. What proof, other than some former NTSB fed shooting his mouth off, is there that the NTSB is involved? They dont usually get involved in this sort of thing.

Didnt condemn the whole NTSB in my mind.
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    Didnt condemn the whole NTSB in my mind.
    Rightly or not, gives 'em a black eye though.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't been John Wayne in decades, but when they rebuilt/expanded the terminal why didn't they move it to the other side by the big runway and move the GA stuff to the beside the small runway. Would have solved a lot of conflicts and it's not like orange county didn't have the tax base to afford it. I think he should of moved over and landed in the grass he had already screwed up he might
    as well and it would have looked like he was trying to solve the problem.
    Last edited by ndill; 02-16-2017 at 10:30 PM.
    Likes hotrod180 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't sound sharp.
    https://youtu.be/eIDWyae2hXY
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AirmasterC165 View Post
    It can happen... I tried to land my C180 at Knoxville on 5R, but was lined up with the taxiway between the parallels. I realized my error on about 1 mile final and landing where I was supposed to. It is amazing his we can get fixated and it sometimes takes someone to whack you in the head to see clearly. Sorry it happened to a well known flyer.
    Did a very similar thing my first time into HSV, cleared to land on a left base to 36R, #2 behind a P8 on a left base to 36L. Caught it about 1.5-2 miles out and lined up with the correct runway.

Post Thanks / Like
    It would seem Eddie is the only pilot on the planet who never screwed-up. If anyone else it would have been a none event. What a waste of time on all the %&&^% forums. I guess nothing important to talk about.

I recall when the Navy retired their A7's and they flew a bunch from Pax River to the APG's bone yard. Had one guy land on the taxi way parallel to runway 26. Until then I though naval aviators were perfect

I was the APG flying club safety officer at the time. At least it gave me a bit of fodder for my monthly safety meeting.

Jack
    Likes 40m, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jack,
    You couldnt be more wrong. I have made plenty of mistakes. Starting this thread was one of them. I have not reported anything that wasnt true. If it annoys you put me on ignore.

No one is forcing you to read it.
    Last edited by Eddie Foy; 02-17-2017 at 08:49 AM.
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by CamTom12 View Post
    Caught it about 1.5-2 miles out and lined up with the correct runway.
    Caught what??
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ndill;681276]I haven't been John Wayne in decades, but when they rebuilt/expanded the terminal why didn't they move it to the other side by the big runway and move the GA stuff to the beside the small runway ....(quote)

Didnt know theyd redone the terminal but I had the same thought.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    I flew commercial into and out of Orange County this week. Looking out the window it appeared a bit confusing, wish I had had a front view...
    "Don't feed the hipsters"

Post Thanks / Like
    It is not to be trifled with. If you go in there VFR be on your A game. Figure out where Signal Hill is, and study the airport layout.

In regards to the NTSB - the last three years have seen a change in SoCal. If you sneeze on the runway, and one wheel leaves the pavement for a second, the NTSB is automatically involved. It then goes to the FSDO, and to you. All this was decidedly not true prior to 2013. If you abort a takeoff, the NTSB tasks the FSDO to find out why, and you will get dinged if it was maintenance related and you did not get a mechanic's signature after. Be careful in SoCal.

Note that now the feds are insisting that VFR runways be 75 feet wide, and that taxiways at BII airports be 126' wide. One possible solution: any time you hear a runway number, recite it back with your N- number, and memorize it or write it down. Then look for the number painted on that narrow runway.

Just an opinion. Reciting runways in readbacks is not required. Yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Get up, (get on up)! Flying into KSNA: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LGO1UIOqUc

GAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a CA problem. Another reason I'm not visiting the nanny liberal bastards anytime soon. MN not far behind either.
    Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!
    Likes cubdriver2, Cub junkie, WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scout88305 View Post
    Sounds like a CA problem. Another reason I'm not visiting the nanny liberal bastards anytime soon. MN not far behind either.
    Only the twin cities area. Even us cheese heads get along with the rest, cause we have to deal with Milwaukee and Madison.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.
    Likes scout88305 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by scout88305 View Post
    Exactly the same in the NY region Bob. The standard response to the tower when they ask you why you aborted the takeoff in your Cub on the 7,000 foot runway: "I left my gloves in the car"

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking of aborted takeoffs.
    I was on my way to JC (3U2) with some friends. Our last fuel stop before JC was Gooding, Id (GNG). We took on fuel and taxiied for TO.
    The wind was favoring 27. There were 4 Cubs. I was #4. The other 3 took off with no problems.

I rolled and tried to pick up the tail. I could not. I was approaching flying speed and the tail would not come up. A long time ago, I learned that it is better to keep a problem on the ground if possible. I aborted.

The other three cubs came back to help me. Steve Pierce was one of them. We checked out the plane and could find no problems.

A duster pilot that had witnessed this offered an explanation.

Turns out the wind shifted to a significant tailwind as I started my roll. The density altitude was about 7000 ft. I was still pretty new to tail draggers and it just felt wrong. We regrouped and departed on 09 with no problem.

Why do I tell this? I aborted because my 40+ years of flying and my spidey sense told me it wasnt right. There was no tower but wouldnt have cared if there was.

This was my reason for starting this thread. It was news because it was Harrison Ford. I was puzzled as to how this could occur with an experienced pilot. I am 68. I know that I have lost a few steps. He is 75. I am always vigilant to any signs that tell me that my flying career may be drawing to a close. I have taken some heat from a few that have blown the event off. I am a big boy and not afraid to speak my mind. You cant please all the people all the time.

An Old and Not quite as bold as I used to be, Pilot.
    Eddie Foy
    Likes SteveE, Gordon Misch liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
    Caught what??
    Caught that I was lined up for W taxiway. I was thinking "the two parallel runways looked awful close together... wait a minute!"

Post Thanks / Like
    A while back, I seem to remember an ATL based crew, landing in ATL at night, wee hours of the morning. 3 pilots on the flight deck, one of them a Check Airman. Yep, they landed on the taxiway, at night in a sea of blue lights staring them in the face.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, that was a joke. As in "What mistake?" From that distance it probably just looked like you were correcting for a unique crosswind that happened to single you out.....
    Last edited by PerryB; 02-17-2017 at 07:15 PM.
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !
    Likes CamTom12 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
    A while back, I seem to remember an ATL based crew, landing in ATL at night, wee hours of the morning. 3 pilots on the flight deck, one of them a Check Airman. Yep, they landed on the taxiway, at night in a sea of blue lights staring them in the face.
    Your point?

There are pilots and then there are pilots. I have landed an airliner on the back side of the clock when the circadian rhythm was in the toilet. I was hardly at my peak.

Does not apply to the subject event.
    Eddie Foy

Post Thanks / Like
    id'ee fixe perhaps ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your point?

There are pilots and then there are pilots. I have landed an airliner on the back side of the clock when the circadian rhythm was in the toilet. I was hardly at my peak.
    So it was you!...my back still hurts.
    Last edited by OLDCROWE; 02-17-2017 at 08:52 PM.
    "Don't feed the hipsters"
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jack,
    You couldnt be more wrong. I have made plenty of mistakes. Starting this thread was one of them. I have not reported anything that wasnt true. If it annoys you put me on ignore.

No one is forcing you to read it.
    Eddie,

You do not annoy me. I admire you. Sorry, this thread and the same on other forums annoys me. I shouldn't have picked on you.

I'll go back into my usual lurk mode.

BTW, I'm 70 and flying a SA750 and ask myself almost every other flight if it's time to quit, can't take the G anymore so why bother.....?

Regards,

Jack
    Thanks Eddie Foy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought my first Pitts S-1 from the builder, who was 70 at the time. He sold it to move to an S-2B. No starter, 200 HP and he swung the prop for me when I picked it up. We have a guy at my airport now who is 86 and flies every day the weather allows. I consider these guys, and others like them, inspiration for me. That's the way I want to be when I get there.
    Last edited by txpacer; 02-17-2017 at 10:13 PM.
    Likes cubdriver2, 40m, Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    One day at a time. Looking for spring. Winter for me is a PAIN.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to be too particular, but Gooding, ID is runway 7/25, and has been as long as I have been landing there.