• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Harrison Ford Screw Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damming? He saw the airplane and didn't hit it anyway. I'd say he's due for a check ride.....

We can fly over the city on approach, over thousands, but 115 people must be flown around on short final. Seriously?

Not a good move, but in the face of risk taking, the jets on final to any major airport over populations is a much larger risk.

Can we move on now?

George,
He was cleared to land on 20L but landed on the active parallel taxiway C over the top of a 737 holding short.
Major Faux Pas.

Yeah, they don't paint the big numbers on taxiway ends, major brain fart on his part. However, I'm thinking the FAA would likely go for some remedial training on this rather than pull his ticket...at least I hope they would!

Damming? He saw the airplane and didn't hit it anyway. I'd say he's due for a check ride.....
Yep, time for a different hobby. Unfortunate but real, at some pt we have to hang up the keys.
Roddy

He has to have an attorney. His attorney will tell him to file a NASA report.

We have folks landing on the wrong runway practically daily. Aviation is a "heads-up" endeavor.

He will probably get a 709 ride. Do you know that there are only two FAA guys who can do that? Nobody else is current in taildraggers.

To paraphrase: Let he who has never screwed up in an airplane cast the first stone.......

MTV

From the story.
“This is extraordinarily dangerous,” former NTSB chair Mark Rosenker told CBS News. “Striking a commercial aircraft that was full of gasoline with 100 and some people on it would have created a real disaster.”

Did everyone here know that a B-737 uses gasoline in it's jet engines?
Truly suprised it didn't spontaneously combust as he went over the top.

I had this buddy who once took off from a parallel taxiway at one of those big airports, got chewed out by the tower, filed a NASA, got chewed out by the FAA. During the chew session he said many times 'I know exactly what I did wrong and how to avoid it in the future'. The FAA guy was really pretty decent after that, no further action. Just man up to it and take what comes, should avoid those big airports anyway.

He will probably get a 709 ride. Do you know that there are only two FAA guys who can do that? Nobody else is current in taildraggers.

Bob, there are two or three in Kansas City that can, one friend of mine does much of the DC-3 stuff for the FAA. For a while, some were using my supercub to stay current.

sj

He may have been looking for some grass to land on, that's what I do when at a paved airport, gotta save those expensive tires.

Take a look at a satellite photo of John Wayne Airport and the markings for 20L. It's got numbers on it, but no fixed distance bars or any other decent paint to help a pilot recognize it. Not saying he wasn't at fault, but it happens. Had a friend get an intersection departure in ABQ once. Got on the runway and turned the wrong direction. Took off over top of a Southwest 737 that was taxing across the runway. Tower gave him a number to call when he landed. The Southwest pilot didn't care to pursue the matter, so my friend got a friendly chat with the tower while apologizing profusely for his mistake. It happens. I've lined up on the wrong runway. I've taxied towards the wrong runway. I've had the tower clear me to land, then cleared another aircraft for departure while I was on short final. People make mistakes. You own those that are yours, and if the other guy didn't get anyone hurt or any metal bent, you let him own his mistake and move on with life. This stuff happens all the time. It's a big deal because it's Harrison Ford. If it had been one of us, we would file the NASA report, get a discussion with the FAA and possibly a flight check, but it wouldn't be all over the news.

FWIW, Harrison Ford has stopped in at our airport a few times. Dropped by once while we were having a birthday BBQ for one of the local pilots. He's a heck of a nice guy and enjoys spending time with other pilots as they usually talk to him as a fellow pilot that gets to fly some neat stuff and don't go star struck crazy and start clicking the cameras in his face. He left when several of the women there figured out who he was and started following him around with cameras.

-Cub Builder

Last edited:
Let me start by saying that Harrison Ford is one of my favorite actors and said to be a "good guy."

We all can and have made mistakes. He will recover but you have to wonder where his head was.

This could have been huge. It is big news because he is a celebrity.

I'm looking at it the way I would if it were an accident (and we all know how we beat that to death) until I know the facts which we may never know it just sensational fake news.

Last edited:
The facts:
He was cleared to land on 20L. He read back that clearance. He then proceeded to land on the parallel taxiway over the top of an airliner.
He did not realize his error until he asked about the airliner he just over flew.
He was then informed by the tower that he had landed on the taxiway.

Those are the facts. I have been careful to stick to them.

I am sure he is as puzzled as I am as to how he could have done that.

Last edited:
Reported by whom? I personally could care less but for the sake of discussion there are several sides most importantly those who were directly involved. Were there any circumstances that in the pilots opinion necessitated this action? Until I hear the actual facts not CBS's or a NTSB spokesman for CBS who doesn't know fuel from Shinola I'll give the man the benefit of not making judgement.

At KFTW (Fort Worth Meacham), we have had many pilots land on the parallel taxiway in error. It happens. It never makes the news. My heart goes out to Mr. Ford. He clearly loves flying. I think he takes training seriously-he was in Fort Worth for Helicopter recurrent. He made a mistake that hurt no one. I hope he is allowed to continue to fly and quit on his own terms when the time comes.

Truly suprised it didn't spontaneously combust as he went over the top.
I am frankly more disappointed with that NTSB guy for jumping to a conclusion without having seen the results of any investigation, than I am with whoever it was that was flying the Husky. Really unprofessional. If this is how the safety branch of our aviation infrastructure is going to examine information, then it calls into question its ability as a board to arrive at a conclusion devoid of hype.

EDIT: I see the NTSB guy that the story quoted is a former chair. Still, you would think he'd know better than to make comments like that.

Last edited:
About landed on parellel taxiway at Reno many years ago. A lot yo6nger then. Not uncommon. Hope it doesn't become a big deal for him and his flying.

John Wayne Airport.jpg

Attachments

• John Wayne Airport.jpg
    John Wayne Airport.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 264
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back