• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Harrison Ford Screw Up

Status
Not open for further replies.
George,
He was cleared to land on 20L but landed on the active parallel taxiway C over the top of a 737 holding short.
Major Faux Pas.

Yup, but again, the 'danger' was quite a bit lower than they are making it out to be considering.

But as others have said, bad pilot move, needs to have a discussion and maybe talked to about taxiway vs. runway. Maybe the airport needs to add some paint.

But much worse happens every day by professionals.

I am with Cub Junkie.

Can we move on to downwind turns now?

I am now reburying my head in the sand.

How about "dont go to the jet airports. Jets and Cubs dont mix. But that has nothing to do with what happened here. I am 68 years old. Harrison is 75 or so. When I start to make mistakes like that I will hang it up.

When you go into an airport like that you have to have your feces in a group.

I am now reburying my head in the sand.

How about "dont go to the jet airports. Jets and Cubs dont mix. But that has nothing to do with what happened here. I am 68 years old. Harrison is 75 or so. When I start to make mistakes like that I will hang it up.

Um......................He's not rebuilding his :lol:

Glenn

With his connections, this will just fade off into the sunset,
It's not a big deal...........just something for them to whine
About in the media. We used to land over, around, and beside 737s all the time when Wein flew them into bush Alaska. We cut a valve stem off one time on 36" Good years on a Cub at King Salmon, because of heavy braking.
The arrester cable, was UP for the fighter jets; so was not being
Firmilar with the cable, thinking it would flip me right over, I locked up the brakes, enough to cut off a valve stem(they had inner tubes)and went down on the rim, and did half a ground loop just shy of the cable....... A fully loaded,Mark Air 737, was on short final
Right behind me, they of course had to abort and circle for 10 mins till The Peninsula guys,came out with a pickup and drug the Cub out of the way. It was never mentioned again, but if
Harrison Ford had done it............someone would have made a big whoplar about it.

Last edited:
I guess the tower folks didn't monitor his approach and flight path and offer prompt corrective action. Conflict alerts on their electronics and reply to his question regarding the jet in front and below. I wonder what the obligation is from them to do that?

GAP

I guess the tower folks didn't monitor his approach and flight path and offer prompt corrective action. Conflict alerts on their electronics and reply to his question regarding the jet in front and below. I wonder what the obligation is from them to do that?

GAP

Exactly what I thought. This past summer I had to drop my daughter off in Portland so she could catch a commercial flight. It was kinda hazy and the tower was working a jet blue and several fedex caravans plus me in a cub. I might have lined up on the intersecting runway because said daughter is pitching a fit to go pee in the back. He caught my screwup 5 miles out. I agree you would think the tower could have seen it developing, although his heading would have been right I suppose.

Jim

GAP

You are kidding, right?

He said nothing about the 737 until he had over flown it and landed.

John Wayne is not Bush flying.

Last edited:
I am frankly more disappointed with that NTSB guy for jumping to a conclusion without having seen the results of any investigation, than I am with whoever it was that was flying the Husky. Really unprofessional. If this is how the safety branch of our aviation infrastructure is going to examine information, then it calls into question its ability as a board to arrive at a conclusion devoid of hype.

EDIT: I see the NTSB guy that the story quoted is a former chair. Still, you would think he'd know better than to make comments like that.

I was involved in a mid-air in 2002 witnessed by my parents who were behind me. The NTSB investigator told my parents not to talk to the press. The next day was an illustration of a PA16 overtaking an RV6 and when the preliminary report came out it was the same as is the final report. NTSB has there own agenda. Lesson I learned, get your version out first and the NTSB isn't impartial.

I was once cleared to land over top of a Bonanza sitting on the numbers on the runway I was cleared to land on. This was at Phoenix/Deer Valley. I had never been there before and had never been cleared to land over top of and aircraft on the numbers. So I lined up on the parallel taxiway. I was issued a go around from the tower and got an ass chewing. When the tower was informed there was an aircraft sitting on the numbers, the conversation abruptly ended.

I just assumed that Harrison recently got new Bushwheels, and was trying to minimize taxi distance to the FBO?

You are kidding, right?

He said nothing about the 737 until he had over flown it and landed.

John Wayne is not Bush flying.

I would have asked prior to flying over the jet holding for 20-L, but I'm not sure exactly when he made his call on the jet. That's a good point and it'll all be timed out at some point.

Still, I've had tower folks get nervous about approach alignment when landing on parallel runways (especially with parallel traffic) and make corrective calls some distance from the threshold. That's why I asked about their obligation in this circumstance.

GAP

It can happen... I tried to land my C180 at Knoxville on 5R, but was lined up with the taxiway between the parallels. I realized my error on about 1 mile final and landing where I was supposed to. It is amazing his we can get fixated and it sometimes takes someone to whack you in the head to see clearly. Sorry it happened to a well known flyer.

Nice to see so many in the GA community supporting one of their own!!?? With very limited information and only a TV account, we know TV news never gets it wrong !

Okay, after more searching around I am thinking that audio recording, of which I found in two different locations, is false.

It uses the old runway numbers, as the current markings are 02/20. I had them reversed. And it uses the incorrect tail number. Neither of which make sense. Best answer, false audio track.

Eddie, I believe you are correct. :)

Removed above misleading posts.
Here's a photo of a good idea on taxiway markings.
jg7985.png

Attachments

• 0216-harrison-ford-landing-tmz-7.jpg
    0216-harrison-ford-landing-tmz-7.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 189
  • jg7985.png
    jg7985.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Looks like 3 runways, aside from the yellow markings. Looks like a bus taxiing to the far left.

ap026307.jpg

Attachments

• ap026307.jpg
    ap026307.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 212
So we're now up to post fifty two, counting this one on a non event, as reported by a television station, and we all know that those folks never get a story wrong.....

As someone noted earlier, if this hadn't been Han Solo, none of us would have heard anything about it. Nor would the NTSB be involved.

Maybe some of us should get over ourselves, and wait for an "official" report on the incident?

MTV

I repeat the question. What proof, other than some former NTSB fed shooting his mouth off, is there that the NTSB is involved? They dont usually get involved in this sort of thing.

Didnt condemn the whole NTSB in my mind.

I haven't been John Wayne in decades, but when they rebuilt/expanded the terminal why didn't they move it to the other side by the big runway and move the GA stuff to the beside the small runway. Would have solved a lot of conflicts and it's not like orange county didn't have the tax base to afford it. I think he should of moved over and landed in the grass he had already screwed up he might
as well and it would have looked like he was trying to solve the problem.

Last edited:
It can happen... I tried to land my C180 at Knoxville on 5R, but was lined up with the taxiway between the parallels. I realized my error on about 1 mile final and landing where I was supposed to. It is amazing his we can get fixated and it sometimes takes someone to whack you in the head to see clearly. Sorry it happened to a well known flyer.

Did a very similar thing my first time into HSV, cleared to land on a left base to 36R, #2 behind a P8 on a left base to 36L. Caught it about 1.5-2 miles out and lined up with the correct runway.

It would seem Eddie is the only pilot on the planet who never screwed-up. If anyone else it would have been a none event. What a waste of time on all the %&&^% forums. I guess nothing important to talk about.

I recall when the Navy retired their A7's and they flew a bunch from Pax River to the APG's bone yard. Had one guy land on the taxi way parallel to runway 26. Until then I though naval aviators were perfect:roll:

I was the APG flying club safety officer at the time. At least it gave me a bit of fodder for my monthly safety meeting.

Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back