• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Engine management: CHT/EGT

If not done already I would suggest your EI stuff go on an avionics master to prevent spiking it on startup. I am on my third fuel flow transducer so I know the apprehension when turning it all on.

If not done already I would suggest your EI stuff go on an avionics master to prevent spiking it on startup. I am on my third fuel flow transducer so I know the apprehension when turning it all on.

What was the exact cause of the transducer failures?

Web

Bad luck? When flow display goes from erratic to 0 I sent the transducers in for evaluation. Yep, bad transducer, we will be happy to sell you a new one. Apparently not repairable.

Tried to get the cause and type of failure out of EI but no joy. Think I will just pull the breaker on startup from now on. It is on its own breaker.

It is a nicety that I have gotten used to having. Another piece of information that tells me that everything seems to be in normal parameters on today's ride. EI usually throws a sale in the fall.

Cruiser when working do you find it to of value or just a nicety?

It is a nicety that I have gotten used to having. Another piece of information that tells me that everything seems to be in normal parameters on today's ride. EI usually throws a sale in the fall.

Thanks Jim,
I have a JPI 730 with the basics, 4 cyl CHT, EGT, voltage which I find comforting,
I was curious about the value of fuel flow for our type of flying.

That's true of any primary instrument. I already had a dead factory cht/egt gauge which had been left in the panel inop along with the installation of a single point ei cht/egt. I replaced my EI single point EGT/CHT with the CGR30p and got six-point -and replaced 7 other instruments - any of which could have failed and grounded me. Might as well have an all-in-one in my book - but I see your point about reliability. My old **** wasn't reliable either.

I hope you get back in the air soon.

Good luck. My 6 month old 30P died. EI has it now. It has been repaired. I will now hold my breath every time I flip on the master.

When it dies, you have nothing.

Thanks Jim,

If you find voltage comforting - you really, really, really should be comforted more by knowing accurate fuel usage. My mechanical wing root gauges bounce wildly unless 100% full or 100% empty - and I freak out watching it everywhere in between. And a few turns of the red knob can get me between 17gph and 12gph - it's imperative to me to have a better, more accurate understanding of my fuel economy - especially for the type of flying in the backcountry.

If you find voltage comforting - you really, really, really should be comforted more by knowing accurate fuel usage. My mechanical wing root gauges bounce wildly unless 100% full or 100% empty - and I freak out watching it everywhere in between. And a few turns of the red knob can get me between 17gph and 12gph - it's imperative to me to have a better, more accurate understanding of my fuel economy - especially for the type of flying in the backcountry.

I appreciate and respect your point. EGT and CHT are what I monitor most closely however at this time OAT will be my next addition. This winter I have encountered moisture freezing to the windscreen and leading edges at different altitudes within several hundred feet. Makes sense it will take place somewhere I would just like to know where it's less likely.

An OAT probe won't change anything. Your response will be the same. Find a different altitude.

If you think mechanical gauges are inaccurate? Try digital ones. My digital fuel level instrument is the only reason I added fuel flow. The only gauges I really trust are a dip stick and a clock.

Thanks Jim,
I have a JPI 730 with the basics, 4 cyl CHT, EGT, voltage which I find comforting,
Fuel flow is great because the instrument keeps track of fuel used. You tell it how much you start with and it tells you what is left. It is a hell of a lot more accurate than sight gauges.

Hook a GPS to it and it will tell you how many miles you can fly. Trust but verify.

I like knowing what the bus voltage is. Having lost more than one alternator a voltage readout is helpful. I very inexpensive way that I use is a cigar lighter plugin USB power plug with a voltage readout, fully FAA certified naturally, which can be had on Ebay for under $15.
Tom

Fuel flow is great because the instrument keeps track of fuel used. You tell it how much you start with and it tells you what is left. It is a hell of a lot more accurate than sight gauges.

Hook a GPS to it and it will tell you how many miles you can fly. Trust but verify.

During the WAD 2016 a few of us landed in the Boonies of Northern NH at the " U " . I landed first so was the last to leave. The plane ahead of me started his TO run and got about 25' in the air and all of a sudden as I was starting my run behind him he added full flaps and comes down and bounces around and comes to a stop just before the end of the runway. After a minute he comes taxiing back and parks and shuts down, it had flamed out at 25' and he was good enough to get it back down and stopped in the 6 or 700' that was left in front of him. His fuel flow meter said he had 18 gals left but no fuel came out of the gascolator. I flew over to Berlin and picked him up 12 gals of gas and flew back. We dumped it in and after bleeding all the lines we had a good fuel flow for over a minute at the sump. Did a 30 second WOT runup to check available power and he took off for Berlin 20 miles south. His plane had a 80 gal capacity and he took something like 73 gals when he filled it. We had figured out that he had parked on a slight angle when parked ( low wing had the gas ) and had taken off from the same angled spot and it had probably saved his plane and life because if he had taxied to a level spot before TO he would have made it to a couple hundred feet before it flamed out. FF gauge was off. Be careful.

Glenn

You still have to verify. You have to have enough SA to know when it is wrong. Off by 18 Gals!!!! Head up and locked.

When I was a 727 FE it was not unusual to fly a 727 with one or more inop fuel gauges. You drip sticked the tank then kept track of the fuel burn.

I have digital fuel quantity and fuel flow instruments in my Cessna. I validate both with my dipstick. When one doesn't reconcile? The dipstick has never been what's incorrect. A guy needs balance between new age and stone age.

I just put an EI cgr30p in my 180 and replaced 8 primary gauges. I'm super happy!

Of all the "does it all" engine monitors, I like the CGR30 best.
Spruce lists the 6 cylinder basic and premium models at $3650 & 3950.
Which one did you get?
I'm also curious as to whether that price includes the sensors / probes required?

I wish they made a simpler CHT / EGT instrument (nothing else) with that same multi-color display.

I wish they made a simpler CHT / EGT instrument (nothing else) with that same multi-color display.
If you want colors try one of these options. http://www.insightavionics.com/bestg1.htm

G1%20FACE.jpg

They are currently showing a 20% discount. http://www.insightavionics.com/insight.htm

They do make nice stuff. There are several different models to suit your fancy.

I have an Insight G2. FF is accurate right out of the box. OAT and voltage very nice. Only had one EGT probe go bad. Simple to replace. Only complaint is cold start ups (generally below 20f) sometimes require a reboot but it always comes up on the second try. The screen just needs a warm up I guess.

I'm looking forward to installing the EI CGR-30P. My SC project is without instruments, so although the EI CGR-30P is pricey, there will be some instrument savings.

I try and keep my FWF from looking like a birds nest of wires. This is my challenge when doing the installation.

I also try to be "old school" and not make my panel look like a new Boeing. I must say the EI CGR-30P looks good with out being a TV set.

Bill

I got the premium and used a $400 refund coupon from last year. Includes everything but a few Adele clamps and standard fittings. And the labor to install which was pretty substantial. The recommend budgeting between 35 and 40 hrs and I was a little over that but it included a lot of other work such a a replacement panel.

Of all the "does it all" engine monitors, I like the CGR30 best.
Spruce lists the 6 cylinder basic and premium models at $3650 & 3950.
Which one did you get?
I'm also curious as to whether that price includes the sensors / probes required?

I ended up picking up the JPI EDM-700 during the sale a few months ago and will be putting it in as I finish up the rebuild this spring. Its going to be nice to finally know what is really going on...

For those of you who are installing one of these engine monitors/CHT/EGT instruments that provide you with all sorts of numbers, make sure that you understand what those numbers mean to the operation of an engine. Educate yourself, just looking at some numbers and deciding that because someone said that the number is good or bad do not assume that is appropriate for your particular power setting or airplane usage. If you don't really understand engine operating parameters you could become your engines worst enemy. In other words if you really do not understand engine functions, you may be better off not knowing what these numbers are. When your airplane was certified it went through extensive testing and was proven to operate under the most adverse conditions within the engine manufacturers parameters as long as the airplane is maintained in accordance with it's approved design. This testing was done on both original certifications and STC approvals. This testing also made allowances for hot days through data correction techniques which are understood by engineers and the appropriate FARs.

It is apparent by some of the questions which are asked and answered on various threads that neither person has a good understanding of the topic. There are several members here who are highly qualified in the variety of topics which we discuss. All of us can learn by listening to the others. Just saying, educate yourself. Don't hurt yourself.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by cruiser

Tried to get the cause and type of failure out of EI but no joy. Think I will just pull the breaker on startup from now on. It is on its own breaker.

I think it important to see oil pressure immediately after startup. Waiting until after startup to power up the CGR 30 will delay confirming oil pressure.
How quickly does it power up?

...I think it important to see oil pressure immediately after startup. Waiting until after startup to power up the CGR 30 will delay confirming oil pressure.
How quickly does it power up?
Oil pressure is the one most important piece of information which we need to know. The only method of always knowing this is to have a direct reading oil pressure gauge. All of these electric instruments are slick nice stuff and you can have oil pressure dependent on electricity if you wish. Not on my plane.

Back