• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

1977 Cessna 185F Tailwheel Lock photo

Unlike the PA-18 T.C. which lists the approved "extra" items, the T.C. for the Cessna 185 does not list these items. Cessna seems to think that it's customers don't "Have a need to know" the answers to these questions. Here we have 30 comments trying to get to the bottom of whether or not a tail wheel lock is optional or required on a A185F. All I have learned so far is that there are a lot of opinions but no definitive answer. A complete T.C. could solve this question easily.

This is a easy one, STC approves a Scott 3400 design tw and you can't put a lock on it and it doesn't show on the approved drawings it's just not required.

If it's not on the TCDS, it's not 'required'. The only way it would be required, and NOT listed on the TCDS, is if it was part of a system added by STC or field approval.

Web

Why don't you just go talk to your IA/A&P and ask that person to sign it off as having been removed per the installation of the ABW tailwheel assy? That will put something in your logbook.

If it was removed, that should have been logged in your equipment list for the airplane. IF that's not there, have your mechanic enter it there as well......because that's where it's really required anyway....then recalculate W/Balance and prepare new W/B as necessary. You do have an equipment list, right?

MTV

The early Cessna factory equipment lists (specific to each individual aircraft) show whether an item is standard, optional, and/or required-- often along with the weight and arm for CG calculation purposes.
But if an STC'd ABW t/w assembly is installed, and documented via a revised W&B form as well as a logbook entry & 337 referencing that STC, you're good to go.

Last edited:
I had the 3400 tailwheel off today for servicing. Mine badly needs the service kit I see advertised on the AWB site.

In the Cub 3200 TW, I changed the short pawl for the long pawl. The one today appeared to me to be short. Is there a long one for this 3400 TW, or one pawl for all 3400's?

Once the two bolts are removed on the tailwheel head, should the head separate ok from the stinger, or is it pressed in? I think I'll be removing the stinger at some stage so any pireps there would be appreciated.

Also my fork has the recepticle for the tailwheel locking pin (shown above) which has been removed. It appears to be held in with three screws. I can't see how that can be removed without another spacer replacing it. So I guess leave well enough alone?

As you can guess, I've never had this model TW appart before, so any 'war stories' on it gratefully received.

Thanks,
Denis.

You may have a MacCaulley tailwheel on the F model, they look very much alike on the outside. The fork when removed has two steps that fit into the head on the Mac, the Scott only one and it has three springs that sit in the step.
Be very cariful removing the spring, stinger, don't beat on it you can brake the casting in the tail cone. If the cross tube doesn't drive out easy after removing the two ins in the saddle cut the cross tube in two spots and slide the spring out.
Also very common for the tailwheel head to be stuck on the spring like it's welded but it's just pushed on.
My guess is you have a Mac, put some pics of the fork when you r move it and I'll tell you.

Last edited:
You may have a MacCaulley tailwheel on the F model,.....
Also very common for the tailwheel head to be stuck on the spring like it's welded but it's just used on...
The 1977s had a McCauley tail wheel assy. Cessna used some type of adhesive to keep them tight. Even when new it was necessary to turn it 90* and use a lever to rotate it on the spring to break the adhesive loose. You might try heating the head with a hair dryer to loosen it.

Unlike the PA-18 T.C. which lists the approved "extra" items, the T.C. for the Cessna 185 does not list these items. Cessna seems to think that it's customers don't "Have a need to know" the answers to these questions. Here we have 30 comments trying to get to the bottom of whether or not a tail wheel lock is optional or required on a A185F. All I have learned so far is that there are a lot of opinions but no definitive answer. A complete T.C. could solve this question easily.
You have to look at the equipment list that came with the airplane. It will have an R in front of that item if its required.

Wanna remove a factory-glued tailwheel head?

1 prepare some kind of lever with which to rotate the head

2 heat the head with a heat gun while applying some force to rotate the head. Remove heat as soon as head moves and keep rotating and slide head off.

3 if not able to initiate head sliding off tailspring after getting some rotation, apply penetrant and allow to cool, then repeat step2. The cooling may allow better penetrant penetration.

The term "stinger" is used in the parts book to identify the tailcone with the nav light in it FYI, though commonly used to describe the tailspring. ...just sayin'

hope this helps. D

Thanks guys. Yes it does Dave, all part of the educational process.
I'll take some pic's when back to the aeroplane next.

Back