Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 61 of 61

Thread: Another PA-12 rebuild-my Phoenix story

  1. #41

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=

    I laugh at the people who cover & paint their projects first, then do all the REAL WORK.... ends up all nicked up, with patches for things they didn't envision....[/QUOTE]

    So did someone tell you about the day I had the fuselage freshly covered and a 8 penny nail I was bending in the vise shot out of the vise, flew all the way across the hangar and gut shot the side of the fuselage at an obtuse angle (it didn't even have the decency to go in straight), argh
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  2. #42
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    16,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT12 View Post
    So did someone tell you about the day I had the fuselage freshly covered and a 8 penny nail I was bending in the vise shot out of the vise, flew all the way across the hangar and gut shot the side of the fuselage at an obtuse angle (it didn't even have the decency to go in straight), argh
    I feel your pain, many times over.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

  3. #43
    Speedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    1,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dumb questions here, so please forgive my ignorance. You mentioned that you had to spend a lot of time getting the stripe laid out correctly, including bringing in the body man and putting pieces on and then taking them back off again. Is it possible to use vinyl graphics for stripes, and if so, does it take a similar amount of time? Do vinyl graphics have negatives that make them much less desirable than painting?
    Speedo

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    Dumb questions here, so please forgive my ignorance. You mentioned that you had to spend a lot of time getting the stripe laid out correctly, including bringing in the body man and putting pieces on and then taking them back off again. Is it possible to use vinyl graphics for stripes, and if so, does it take a similar amount of time? Do vinyl graphics have negatives that make them much less desirable than painting?
    I have no experience with vinyl for a permanent stripe but I do know folks have used vinyl for the cub lightening bolt before.

    I did use a vinyl stencil to spray the 12" numbers on my last project- it worked OK but with the fresh poly-fiber products off gassing created some sort of chemical bond with the stencil glue and it was a PITA to remove. I had the same issue with the contact paper layout stencil on my VG's. this time I will wait a year before I deal with the VG's.

  5. #45
    Speedo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    AK
    Posts
    1,619
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hadn't thought about the outgassing problem. The difficulties you had with the stencil and layout pattern ,makes me think one would want to wait a long time before applying a vinyl stripe. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    Speedo

  6. #46
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    8,194
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT12 View Post
    I have no experience with vinyl for a permanent stripe but I do know folks have used vinyl for the cub lightening bolt before.

    I did use a vinyl stencil to spray the 12" numbers on my last project- it worked OK but with the fresh poly-fiber products off gassing created some sort of chemical bond with the stencil glue and it was a PITA to remove. I had the same issue with the contact paper layout stencil on my VG's. this time I will wait a year before I deal with the VG's.
    vinyl is bad choice on fabric.... won't last many years in general... and crud starts getting in behind it because of fabric weave...

    yeah I had to repaint a 172 side when the stencil for N-Number "bonded" to the paint... long time ago, but was my fault, I had to turn heaters off to paint, had ICE on my ladder by time i was done painting, paint never chemically kicked off properly...

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well I was afraid this day was going to come. My flying cub needed an annual before the phoenix got completed. So today was a swapping of the planes in the hangars and for a couple of hours today I was without a plane to fly at all. But no squawks on 69B and I'm back in business. It gave me a good chance to put them out in the sun and get a couple of shots. I guess I must like red.

    My goal of flying by July 1 won't become a reality but it'll be close. I guess those 2 smith river floats and one on the Marias River took their toll. It now feels like i am running in quick sand to get to the finish line.

    I followed Mike's advise and just added a 12" extension on my exhaust system, really the only way it could work since I couldn't have gotten the muffler in or out of the motor mount with the 12"'s permanently attached. A 12" piece of stainless was found at Spruce and a local muffler shop stretched it for me.

    A couple of rivets in the bottom cowl in the morning and the FWF will be all done, ready to mount the prop-once I get the nose bowl painted. Flaps and Ailerons are ready to go on, as is the sky light once I hook up the Dakota Cub fuel gauges, at which time the wing root panels can be permanently attached. The second rebuilt airspeed indicator should be back from Century Instruments any day now-lets just say keep your high pressure air hose the hell away from any static line-nuf said. Charge the brakes and weigh it and it should be close to good to go.....barring any unforeseen reverse progress moments.

    Is now the time I should be starting an empty weight poll?

    Here's a couple of shots during today's hangar shuffling:

    20170621_083257(1).jpg20170621_083446.jpg20170621_083230.jpg20170621_083221.jpg20170621_083823.jpg

  8. #48
    skukum12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Last Frontier
    Posts
    926
    Post Thanks / Like
    A day for 12s!!
    "Always looking up"

  9. #49
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    6,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT12 View Post
    I followed Mike's advise and just added a 12" extension on my exhaust system, really the only way it could work since I couldn't have gotten the muffler in or out of the motor mount with the 12"'s permanently attached. A 12" piece of stainless was found at Spruce and a local muffler shop stretched it for me.


    20170621_083221.jpg
    Keep a close eye on the welded joint on the muffler where the tail pipe is attached. A long pipe such as that one which is unsupported can cause cracks at the weld on the muffler. There should be some support connecting the engine to the long pipe.
    N1PA
    Thanks MT12 thanked for this post

  10. #50
    180Marty's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Paullina, Ia
    Posts
    1,846
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like red too. Makes me think I should forget trying to sell mine.

  11. #51

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Do you ever feel like you are walking through quick sand to get to the end of your project, yeah me neither.....I made a bit of visible progress: I braced the exhaust pipe like Skywagons8a recommended; I got the fuel guages and panel lights installed and the wing root panels on; despite my dislike of vinyl letters I did order 3" numbers from spruce and put them in their original location-despite the paint scheme not being original-amazing how well their dark red matched my red. Getting closer, building wing root panels now, discovered a dead short in my nav lights I need to find and fix, put some turn buckles in the aileron and flap cables. weight it and have it inspected, get the books done and get a new air worthiness certificate from the FAA (original lost in the crash fire).

    I threw in a shot of the battery relocation to under the rear seat that I hadn't shown before, tho its been done for quite some time. I think of it now because of all of the 337's that will be done for this rebuild this is the only 'field approval' I'll be getting, the rest of the mod's were all either minor alterations or via STC. I didn't move the battery any further forward because I didn't want the CG to move any further forward. I didn't leave it in its original location because the gross weight increase puts tubes where the original battery door was, and the Borer extended baggage makes the battery awkward to get to from the inside.

    20170712_140714.jpg20170712_140731.jpg20170711_103556.jpg20170712_140740.jpg

    Hoping for a weight under 1150, we'll see.....
    Likes Hardtailjohn, skukum12, flybynite liked this post

  12. #52
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    6,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Keep a close eye on the welded joint on the muffler where the tail pipe is attached. A long pipe such as that one which is unsupported can cause cracks at the weld on the muffler. There should be some support connecting the engine to the long pipe.
    Quote Originally Posted by MT12 View Post
    Do you ever feel like you are walking through quick sand to get to the end of your project, yeah me neither.....I made a bit of visible progress: I braced the exhaust pipe like Skywagons8a recommended;
    20170712_140714.jpg.....
    Be careful, that picture is not what I said. The brace MUST be connected to the engine NOT to a part which does not move with the engine. You have tied it to the immovable cowl brace.
    N1PA

  13. #53
    flybynite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Eagan, Minnesota
    Posts
    290
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT12 View Post
    Is that a Supercub muffler? is it a 337 field approval or?

    Here is a pic of an original mount install on a -12 The tube that the orange wires are tied to goes from cowl channel to channel. The one holding the muffler is spring mounted to the engine mount.

    IMG_0102.JPG

    Thanks for the pics..... your project is looking good.

    Wayne

  14. #54

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    The pa18 exhaust is an option under the McKinsey stc.

    What about the braces holding the down pipe to the header tubes, or is the concern that I need a brace like the spring loaded brace?
    Last edited by MT12; 07-16-2017 at 08:32 AM.

  15. #55
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    16,041
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flybynite View Post
    Is that a Supercub muffler? is it a 337 field approval or?

    Here is a pic of an original mount install on a -12 The tube that the orange wires are tied to goes from cowl channel to channel. The one holding the muffler is spring mounted to the engine mount.

    IMG_0102.JPG

    Thanks for the pics..... your project is looking good.

    Wayne
    This is an O-235 thing. Same type arrangement on the Clipper and Colt. If you are going to install a Super Cub exhaust look at the drawing and install just like that. Pretty proven way of doing it. I have a previously approved 337 for the battery under the back set if you need it or you could use AC 43.13. Is that automotive battery cable hooked up to the battery? Probably a red flag for the Feds if you are going for a field approval.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Thanks MT12 thanked for this post

  16. #56
    skywagon8a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SE Mass
    Posts
    6,879
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT12 View Post
    The pa18 exhaust is an option under the McKinsey tac.

    What about the braces holding the down pipe to the header tubes, or is the concern that I need a brace like the spring loaded brace?
    You can clamp it to the header pipe. Leave the clamp loose enough on the tail pipe so that it can slide on the pipe. When the exhaust changes temperature, it expands and contracts. If the clamp is too tight when this happens the clamp or the connection tube can break.
    N1PA
    Thanks MT12 thanked for this post

  17. #57

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    More visible and maybe even tangible progress. I finished installing ailerons and flaps and they are all rigged and ready to go, that and getting the wing root panels on allowed me to install the windows. With the windows on major visible progress was made pulling the paper and cellophane protective wrappers off the windshield and door, now when I sit in it making motor noises I can see out.20170721_174208.jpg

    Redid the exhaust stack brace as recommended above, following the actual piper drawings (what a concept) and looked at a couple of local 18's, thanks Steve P and skywagons for your help on that one.

    Big news, I did the final weigh in today. As I said earlier my goal (based on my other 12) was 1150. This bird has an O-320, light weight starter, oil cooler and alternator; Dakota cub 23 gallon tanks; Atlee dodge heavy duty 3" extended gear with 1.5" axles; safety cables; Borer extended baggage; 8:50's; odyssey battery; and gross weight increase......drum roll please......1152# and good C.G. I'm happy with that.

    20170721_110837.jpg

    I figured the project would be close to over when my work bench full of parts was empty.....

    20170721_174220.jpg

    Break in oil went in today, maybe first ground run in tomorrow. Need to get the books finished, get a replacement airworthiness certificate and away we go.

    whew

  18. #58
    skukum12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Last Frontier
    Posts
    926
    Post Thanks / Like
    What is the empty CG?
    "Always looking up"

  19. #59

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    12.79, same as my other 12 which flys great
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

  20. #60
    skukum12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    The Last Frontier
    Posts
    926
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MT12 View Post
    12.79, same as my other 12 which flys great
    Yours and mine would be about the same weight if you add Bushwheels.

    My cg is way forward, what weights did you get at the tail? Which engine mount?
    "Always looking up"

  21. #61

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    279
    Post Thanks / Like
    Long, original engine mount, tail wt. 72

Similar Threads

  1. Story Corps Story - the 54 Year Old Boy Scout
    By SJ in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 12:36 PM
  2. Phoenix for the Holidays
    By Tadpole in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 02:13 PM
  3. The Phoenix cub flies again
    By Talkeetnaairtaxi in forum Cafe Supercub
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-15-2007, 08:51 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •