• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lock nuts or castle nuts with cotter pin

The 'proper' way is any way you can install the cotter pin, in which it does not rattle and it does not catch on other parts. All else is just gravy.

Web

It is also nice when the next guy can reach into a space and back out without tearing his shirt, or drawing blood.

That one on the lower aileron horn has left lasting scars. Occasionally it is so bad my buddies say "you need stitches!"

Piper did it a lot. I guess they were using their stock of drilled bolts since early on everything was cotter keyed. Most were in shear. I have seen drilled bolts with lock nuts in tension break at the drilled hole.

Thanks I will pass that on to him, he was thinking they would need to be changed. I told him it was ok for experimental, then started thinking maybe it was not a safe or accepted use. Happy to see the experts weigh in.

Thanks I will pass that on to him, he was thinking they would need to be changed. I told him it was ok for experimental, then started thinking maybe it was not a safe or accepted use. Happy to see the experts weigh in.
OK for experimental? It is either safe or it is not.

Each year before changing from floats to wheels, I would call Stoddards and get a set of gear bolts sent out. They were always nylock nuts and undrilled bolts.

Jim

Each year before changing from floats to wheels, I would call Stoddards and get a set of gear bolts sent out. They were always nylock nuts and undrilled bolts.

Jim
Is there a tab welded on the gear fitting which will prevent the bolt from rotating? If so, the bolt is not subject to rotation and an elastic stop nut is applicable. Just because the gear can rotate on the bolt, it does not mean that the bolt is subject to rotation. You need to be able to answer the question "Can something cause the bolt rotate?". If the bolt can not rotate it is fixed. Things can rotate on a fixed bolt.

Back