• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub project

View attachment 31677I've got a set of Pacific Scientific rotary belts that I'd like to rebuild and use. Aviation Safety Products will re - web the belts, add some length to accommodate the floor mount tabs and issue an 8130. I want to add an inertia reel to the front set but they won't do that with paperwork since there is no inertia reel there now. Any ideas?

Dave you can add to the lower belt by using 1/8 cable between the floor and the belt fitting. Great seatbelt, I have installed them in everything I have owned, Pa11, Champ, J4 and my Ex Cub. You can use a different brand inertia reel by changing the fittings on the belts to the ones that fit the rotary.

attachment.php

Glenn

Last edited:
Interior panels are ready for cover and powder coat. Dakota Cub fuel valve and trim crank, under seat storage box. Airframes HD extended gear, new shock cords by Univair installed. Wheel and brakes blasted, rebuilt and painted up. Tailwheel rebuilt with Airframes rebuild kit. Fuel lines run for R/L/Both Dakota set up. Working on control cables. Waiting for an engine mount then I can fab up the forward sheet metal.IMG_0104.JPGunnamed (1).jpgunnamed (2).jpgunnamed (6).jpgunnamed (5).jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0104.JPG
    IMG_0104.JPG
    520 KB · Views: 855
  • unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 561
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 433
  • unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 423
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 419
Looking really good Dave! I just read the whole thread from the beginning and learned a ton. I spoke to Mark about 3 weeks ago, so he is still around. May be out moose or caribou hunting. He usually responds pretty quick when he returns.

Also, it looks like there may be low points in the fuel line that could accumulate water?? In my opinion the lines should run downhill to the gascolator at all locations, in three point attitude.

Also, it looks like there may be low points in the fuel line that could accumulate water?? In my opinion the lines should run downhill to the gascolator at all locations, in three point attitude.

looks about normal to me.... that's why we have gascolator sumps....

Mark made contact with me so all is good.
Steve, not sure about the stringer height, maybe the photo angle is making it look different but it seems about the same as others I've looked at.
The fuel lines in the picture do run behind the rear window, I'm using Dakota Cubs headerless fuel system and it seemed to allow for this as a way to get the lines to run downhill all the way but really they don't, at least with the 3 inch extended gear and 26 inch Goodyears there's no way to make it downhill all the way in a 3 point stance. It's something I've been planning to redo so any suggestions are appreciated.

Here is the center stringer mount on a 1982 Super Cub I am rebuilding and it is consistent with the drawings and everything else I have worked with. The center stringer just appears to be very high in your pictures.
131f97462d212e189e373a2b9e8e1760.jpg

3ab2ef86bc023e7a69ff428385f32775.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I am using the Dakota Cub headerless fuel system as well and it pretty much follows the stock system from the data I have and drawing DC11469. Here is how I have always done them which is like Piper routed the lines less the header tanks.
0dd203044f5fa797e11e81399d409499.jpg

71eb5c0c4f2d021be35e0c49f828e61c.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Here is drawing DC11469. Diagram 1 and 2 give a clearer picture and show a constant down flow.

Attachments

• DC11469 Headerless Fuel System Installation (24 x 36) Drawing.pdf
    879.9 KB · Views: 436
I'm using Dakota Cubs headerless fuel system and it seemed to allow for this as a way to get the lines to run downhill all the way but really they don't, at least with the 3 inch extended gear and 26 inch Goodyears there's no way to make it downhill all the way in a 3 point stance.

I have standard gear and 26" Bushwheels, and made it run downhill all the way. So that's very close to the same fuselage angle on the ground. It was close, but made it.

Thanks Steve, that's a big help

I remember you had some strange modifications when you got your project and figured someone has taken some liberties with your airplane over it's lifetime. Do you have the Northland drawing CD? If you need any pictures of anything I have thousands of pictures I have taken over the years from the rebuilds from at least 5 original Super Cubs. They come in very handy when trying to remember or figure out how something is suppose to be.

I've looked at many of your pictures and they've been a big help. My buddy Bill has let me use his later model SC as a reference too and the frame mods and repairs etc are being done by IA's with alot more Super Cub experience than me. I've been using the parts book and Christian's website as a good reference too but yes there are many smaller things that are hard to make out from the drawings. I've got a great IA to keep me in line and I have to constantly remind myself to not let my 'experimental' mind get in the way so once in a while I have to redo something.
I don't have the Northland CD, is it more detailed than Christain's site? Do you have your pictures archived here somewhere?
Thanks again.

Some good progress with the Thrustline mod and cowl fabIMG_0242.JPG
Just for reference here is the standard set up before the modIMG_0240.JPG
You can see the angle difference. Spent some time getting the nose bowl / ring gear / spinner plate clearance right, squaring it all up nicely and lowering the bowl as much as reasonable.
Now for the doors.

Attachments

• IMG_0242.JPG
    IMG_0242.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 396
  • IMG_0240.JPG
    IMG_0240.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 430
Cowl lip using the 'Bob' stick.IMG_0246.JPGIMG_0245.JPGIMG_0245.JPGIMG_0247.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0246.JPG
    IMG_0246.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 390
  • IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 372
image.jpgI've been following Pierce's lead. Lots of work in the forward sheet metal, getting things positioned right. I had a banged up lower cowl and a borrowed set of doors and top cowl to pattern from. I started with the top cowl, rebuilt the bottom with Mike's mod and cut the doors oversized then snuck up on the final size. Steel parts blasted and primed, rebuilt the latches. Came out real nice. Beefed up the weak areas, fit the sutton exhaust which is a real nice piece.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 423
Some goodies from Dakota are showing up, nice quality.IMG_0286.JPGIMG_0285.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0286.JPG
    IMG_0286.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0285.JPG
    IMG_0285.JPG
    132.3 KB · Views: 301
Haven't posted in a while, here's some updates.
Fuselage covered and painted in Stewart's Cub Yellow Interior finish is flattened charcoal gray. I'm up to 23 STC's so far
Some assembly of interior and firewall forward
Wings are ready to cover IMG_0354.JPGIMG_0360.JPGIMG_0361.JPGIMG_0362.JPGIMG_0317.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    142.9 KB · Views: 335
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 333
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG