Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: NE Fall/Winter 2016/17

Post Thanks / Like
    Put some wider buttons for flotation on those narrow PA-11 skates and you'll do better in soft/wet snow.

GAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post

Snows starting to get soft. Wheel skis are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That wouldn't have gotten out of the sap house today before the sleds packed it. Took me a few tries to get out of my place this morning. Dave's 150 borer prop SC on Summits made 3 runs and quit till I got some sleds to pack it.45F and that hot sun turned it into glue

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    As if this lazy wheeled guy gives a half a **** about your opinion.
    It's ok Jim, we all understand that Timmy wouldn't let you come out and play.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Put some wider buttons for flotation on those narrow PA-11 skates and you'll do better in soft/wet snow.

GAP
    Yea I know, I had Aero 3000 on one season and didn't have enough power to make them move some days. My 9" wide 1500As have done the job for the last 500+ hrs. The best combination I ran was a borrowed pair of 12" SC-2. Might put my 10" SC-1 on next season

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    How much power are you running? The larger the ski's area with adequate nose tip-up the less they sink into the snow and the less drag they create in my experience. Plowing a ditch takes more power than riding on top. I flew Landes 2500's, Aero 2000 and 3000's for years and the 3000's were the best. But your right nothing beats power except if the skis are frozen to the ground or the bottoms are covered with ice crystals. Power being prop power.

Those Summits look small. How do they compare in area with Aero 2000 or 3000? Plus the tire's got to add drag. Nice for many conditions though.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm just a stock 0200.
    I think the Summits are 22" wide? Those same Summits on the yellow sport cub and Dave's SC worked pretty good for a wheel penetration ski yesterday in that same field, it was warm but overcast. The SC had all it could do to just keep moving today.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Your wet conditions must be allowing the snow to compact and using up thrust energy in the process. An ice layer over a soft snow base will act like that as well.

I've seen that a few times and yes even Big Rigs have troubles. I had a set of AWB-3600 W/S on a 185 decide to play dumb once and refuse to aviate. Had to go fishing and wait until it cooled off to go home.

I think at some point skis can be too wide and cause higher resistance to movement than the same overall surface area in a narrower longer ski. About 16" would be my max choice with power. My Taylorcraft likes 12" Aero 2000's but that 's the limit for 85-100 hp for me.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom,

How is flying the Sport Cub S2 compared to the PA-11?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePA11 View Post
    Tom,

How is flying the Sport Cub S2 compared to the PA-11?

Dave
    Give him time to compare them, he had your 11 for a month making safety flights every evening. By the end of April he will have equal time in both.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

NE Fall/Winter 2016/17

Sport cub is nice and wide inside. Heater is not that great though. Gets up and goes good and the flaps are nice too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    I concur that too wide a ski is a detriment in sticky snow after using Mark's Summits in the muck and for sure the wheel drag hurts performance much more in those conditions.
    I have to say that in most conditions the Summit skis would be my choice.Turning in a confined area is not an issue and takeoff performance in most conditions seems pretty close to my Airglas 2000's.
    If I ran them as a straight ski with wheels removed then I think they would outperform just about any other ski.I may try this today or tomorrow if I have time.
    Another nice feature of the Summit is ease of installation and removal.If it takes you more than ten minutes you are milking it.
    I would like to thank Mark for lending me the skis and Mike at Summit for his support in getting them certified .
    Ski season should be longer.just way too much fun.
    Bill
    Likes Joseph206, mam90, kestrel, pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have 1500 TrickAirs on my Tcraft F21. They work great in almost all conditions with the exception of yesterday with heavy, wet, deep snow. I just stayed home. Never had to flatten the tires to get out.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    We had a couple barns collapse and kill a bunch of cows

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    I concur that too wide a ski is a detriment in sticky snow after using Mark's Summits in the muck and for sure the wheel drag hurts performance much more in those conditions.
    I have to say that in most conditions the Summit skis would be my choice.Turning in a confined area is not an issue and takeoff performance in most conditions seems pretty close to my Airglas 2000's.
    If I ran them as a straight ski with wheels removed then I think they would outperform just about any other ski.I may try this today or tomorrow if I have time.
    Another nice feature of the Summit is ease of installation and removal.If it takes you more than ten minutes you are milking it.
    I would like to thank Mark for lending me the skis and Mike at Summit for his support in getting them certified .
    Ski season should be longer.just way too much fun.
    Bill
    Wheel penetration skis are, by design, a compromise. The fact that we are even attempting comparisons between straight skis and the Summit's tells me they have done a very good job at Summit in this design.
    Likes cubdriver2, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Got to fly today the 11 sure is a little workhorse.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050204.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1,023.5 KB 
ID:	30691

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mam90 View Post
    Wheel penetration skis are, by design, a compromise. The fact that we are even attempting comparisons between straight skis and the Summit's tells me they have done a very good job at Summit in this design.
    I'm still an inexperienced n00b on skis, but I can't complain about how the Datums are performing on the Bearhawk.
    --
    Bearhawk, RV-4

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kestrel View Post
    I'm still an inexperienced n00b on skis, but I can't complain about how the Datums are performing on the Bearhawk.
    I wish you were at the sap house, it was a good testing day

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    I wish you were at the sap house, it was a good testing day
    I was thinking the same thing! I'm not sure that Miss Daisy is the best reference, but on Friday I had no trouble with snow that was an issue for she skis "she" is on, even when I cut out into fresh snow.
    --
    Bearhawk, RV-4
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Douten View Post
    Got to fly today the 11 sure is a little workhorse.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050204.JPG 
Views:	46 
Size:	1,023.5 KB 
ID:	30691
    Could have at least given me a fly by. Forgot what a plane sounds like.
    Remember , the light at the end of the tunnel may be you .O wind of heaven by thy might save all who dare the eagles flight, and keep them by thy watchful care from every peril in the air.
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking the same thing! I'm not sure that Miss Daisy is the best reference, but on Friday I had no trouble with snow that was an issue for she skis "she" is on, even when I cut out into fresh snow.
    You looked like an old pro on that real blustery day I watched you this winter.
    Remember , the light at the end of the tunnel may be you .O wind of heaven by thy might save all who dare the eagles flight, and keep them by thy watchful care from every peril in the air.
    Likes kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by pzinck View Post
    You looked like an old pro on that real blustery day I watched you this winter.
    ...haven't gotten stuck yet. That makes me a n00b.
    --
    Bearhawk, RV-4

Post Thanks / Like
    The Datums aren't wheel penetration, are they? Aren't they hydraulic wheel skis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mam90 View Post
    The Datums aren't wheel penetration, are they? Aren't they hydraulic wheel skis?
    12v linear actuator

Glenn
    Thanks mam90 thanked for this post
    Likes pzinck liked this post