Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NE Fall/Winter 2016/17

Post Thanks / Like

NE Fall/Winter 2016/17

Joe and Brian landed at my place then we headed north to Adirondackfliers for breakfast.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20161105_091329866.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	28302

Evidently this is what ADK loggers use for a pickup truck

Name:	IMG_20161105_091324020.jpg 
Views:	299 
Size:	1.58 MB 
ID:	28303

Then north to Stillwater Res

Name:	IMG_20161105_113531748.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	28304

Name:	IMG_20161105_113854072.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	28305

Name:	IMG_20161105_114856639.jpg 
Views:	222 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	28306

Hey Kenny and Mike, this lunch was on you,

Name:	IMG_20161105_121025038.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	1.65 MB 
ID:	28307

Joe is always picking up spunky women

Name:	IMG_20161105_143208649.jpg 
Views:	283 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	28308

Name:	IMG_20161105_143819442_HDR.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	1,005.3 KB 
ID:	28309

Name:	IMG_20161105_144335114.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	28310

Good day to be alive

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 11-06-2016 at 08:16 AM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    You think it will ever fill up

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim View Post
    You think it will ever fill up
    Fills up every year. Then they sell it in the summer. What happened to you?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Every day is a good day to be alive!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn,

How hard is the sand at Stillwater? Looks like the Stinson has small tires that seemed to be ok.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TcraftF21 View Post
    Glenn,

How hard is the sand at Stillwater? Looks like the Stinson has small tires that seemed to be ok.

Jim
    Worked for us, use your own judgment if you go.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    What about the cannonsville reservoir? I flew up and around the Catskills a couple of weeks ago, and took a low level cruise thru the reservoir. Wanted to land just didn't know about the natives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Float day at island

Name:	IMG_20161106_123605240_HDR.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	28317

Name:	IMG_20161106_123518347.jpg 
Views:	206 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	28318

Name:	IMG_20161106_123631287.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	28319

Name:	IMG_20161106_123701713.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	28320

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foxflyer View Post
    What about the cannonsville reservoir? I flew up and around the Catskills a couple of weeks ago, and took a low level cruise thru the reservoir. Wanted to land just didn't know about the natives.
    Stillwater and the others we play on are water storage to maintain river level. Not drinking water supply like Cannonsville?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foxflyer View Post
    If you land there , Don't get caught !!!!!! ILLEGAL !!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ultra rare weekend last weekend, the combination of rain on Friday and buying a tractor in Vermont resulted in a rare weekend off, and a stopover at Peaceable Hill Pheasant Preserve in Shoreham owned by our own Glenn Symon and wife Judy. Started off with dinner that he wouldn't let us pay for, then the next morning a few hours behind the Benelli and his capable dogs. I had forgotten how much fun it is to gun birds over a fine dog. I have met so many nice folks from this website, Glenn and Judy are no exception. Thanks Glenn it was great to shoot pheasants, BS about Sport Cubs, and spend a day with your great dogs and hospitality. What a great facility you have developed. I'll be back this time in the cub. Thx

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1478.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	28323  

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Ultra rare weekend last weekend, the combination of rain on Friday and buying a tractor in Vermont resulted in a rare weekend off, and a stopover at Peaceable Hill Pheasant Preserve in Shoreham owned by our own Glenn Symon and wife Judy. Started off with dinner that he wouldn't let us pay for, then the next morning a few hours behind the Benelli and his capable dogs. I had forgotten how much fun it is to gun birds over a fine dog. I have met so many nice folks from this website, Glenn and Judy are no exception. Thanks Glenn it was great to shoot pheasants, BS about Sport Cubs, and spend a day with your great dogs and hospitality. What a great facility you have developed. I'll be back this time in the cub. Thx

Jim
    Dang, if we knew you were there we would have jumped over the hill and Joe and I could have " drove " some birds in your direction.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like you guys had some fun (and good food too). We should do this as a "flock" sometime - just give us a shout!

Ken Cornell

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A very stick puppy View Post
    Looks like you guys had some fun (and good food too). We should do this as a "flock" sometime - just give us a shout!

Ken Cornell
    You going out to AZ to fly the cub back?

Post Thanks / Like

Jim
    What a shame, I'll have to take the dogs out again.
    40M Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    You going out to AZ to fly the cub back?
    Tom - As you can imagine, the plan changes hourly. In Mike's defense, the most current plans get more and more interesting.....

Ken Cornell

Post Thanks / Like

Ken Cornell
    That would be a hoot. Or a cackle as it was. Glenn has a beautiful strip. Then we could see who the really great shot is. Not me. Just ask the dogs. First time I have seen dogs roll their eyes

jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom - As you can imagine, the plan changes hourly. In Mike's defense, the most current plans get more and more interesting.....

Ken Cornell
    Alaska is cold this time of the year

Post Thanks / Like
    No it is not Tom. You just don't know what cold is.

Glenn, how tall is your hanger door?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post

9' I think

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like

Tom's not as old as I am, but I remember being young in Vermont, when temperature meant nothing. Now, a December breeze can give me a whole new outlook on the day. And I bet Tom is right about those short Alaskan days.
    Likes R. JOHNSON liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Tom's not as old as I am, but I remember being young in Vermont, when temperature meant nothing. Now, a December breeze can give me a whole new outlook on the day. And I bet Tom is right about those short Alaskan days.
    I'm working on thickening my blood back up.

Post Thanks / Like
    In Vermont there are two types of cold, play in it cold and work in it cold. Play in it cold is for those who come to ski, snowmobile and generally sit inside with a hot toddy and bitch if the roads were not plowed for them. Work in it cold is the rest of us and I can assure you there is a difference. For the last dozen or so years I've curled up on those cold two dog nights falling asleep with visions of umbrella drinks and bikinis dancing in my head and being referred to as a snowbird. Up until just recently my thought was if I ever saw snow again it would be to soon, man how things can change. First came Super Cub Forum, (kinda like a kid daydreaming after reading every word in 1960's Outdoor Life or LL Bean catalog), next deciding on and purchasing my Sport Cub and finally Glenn, Joe and Jim and there perverted influence on me towards my purchase this week of a pair of Summit skis. So now only time will tell, I will either get used to drinking hot toddy's or I'll be trying to explain why I have a pair of skis in Florida. Thanks boys! By the way do they make a scotch toddy? Let it SNOW.

Glenn 40M

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 40m View Post
    In Vermont there are two types of cold, play in it cold and work in it cold. Play in it cold is for those who come to ski, snowmobile and generally sit inside with a hot toddy and bitch if the roads were not plowed for them. Work in it cold is the rest of us and I can assure you there is a difference. For the last dozen or so years I've curled up on those cold two dog nights falling asleep with visions of umbrella drinks and bikinis dancing in my head and being referred to as a snowbird. Up until just recently my thought was if I ever saw snow again it would be to soon, man how things can change. First came Super Cub Forum, (kinda like a kid daydreaming after reading every word in 1960's Outdoor Life or LL Bean catalog), next deciding on and purchasing my Sport Cub and finally Glenn, Joe and Jim and there perverted influence on me towards my purchase this week of a pair of Summit skis. So now only time will tell, I will either get used to drinking hot toddy's or I'll be trying to explain why I have a pair of skis in Florida. Thanks boys! By the way do they make a scotch toddy? Let it SNOW.

Glenn 40M
    You think I want to have this disease all by myself?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Good stuff Glenn(40M)! I grew up just up the road from your place, but I think I had the opposite reaction. When there was a job to do the temperature was irrelevant aside from often making the task harder to accomplish. When we were done work and wanted to play... damn it got cold quick. But now, with your Sport Cub, the GJJ club and hot toddy's, it sounds like you're on the right path!

Hope to join the bandwagon soon. My drumsticks are out of practice.

pb

Name:	AgriValley.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	393.1 KB 
ID:	28334

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn 40M
    Got to watch both Glenn and Joe, especially when they gang up on you as a team. Be careful because they do like to help others spend their money..... Have fun with the skis!

Post Thanks / Like

Glenn 40M
    Make sure you post pictures- of the plane on skis, not you in the bikini

I suggested a few times that our local Borough should just stop plowing and buy everyone a set of snow shoes. Reduce the obesity issue, and the need for exercise classes.

No one liked that idea, even though it was for 'green' support. Of course, I would be riding my sled!

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure you post pictures- of the plane on skis, not you in the bikini

I suggested a few times that our local Borough should just stop plowing and buy everyone a set of snow shoes. Reduce the obesity issue, and the need for exercise classes.

No one liked that idea, even though it was for 'green' support. Of course, I would be riding my sled!
    I certainly will, skis I mean.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to attend a meeting 100 miles away from the farm yesterday. It was a bluebird day, 100 mile vis. There is an airport 2 miles from the office. Take the pickup, or take the cub. No brainer yesterday. On the way home, my dairyfarmer friend is in the middle of his field working on a plow. He farms in the middle of yuppie town so I couldnt sneak up on him or face going to jail. I only harassed him for a minute.
    Of course everyone has a camera today, and this is on my phone before I get home. Dang Joe and his ministry of smoke

Jim

Name:	quinn1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	28347

Post Thanks / Like
    I had to attend a meeting 100 miles away from the farm yesterday. It was a bluebird day, 100 mile vis. There is an airport 2 miles from the office. Take the pickup, or take the cub. No brainer yesterday. On the way home, my dairyfarmer friend is in the middle of his field working on a plow. He farms in the middle of yuppie town so I couldnt sneak up on him or face going to jail. I only harassed him for a minute.
    Of course everyone has a camera today, and this is on my phone before I get home. Dang Joe and his ministry of smoke

Jim

Name:	quinn1.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	28347
    If that quaint town is anything like our quaint towns in Vermont a little red smoke yesterday would have been a nice touch.
    Good Morning Jim,

Glenn 40M

SJ, I'm feeling more moderate already.
    Last edited by 40m; 11-10-2016 at 05:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Penobscot Bay Sunday

Dan, Mike and I did a little flying today in and around Penobscot Bay.
    Weather was in the 50's with a light breeze; almost spring like.

Name:	_DSC4331.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	329.3 KB 
ID:	28405Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC4342.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	28406Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC4351.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	148.0 KB 
ID:	28407Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC4366.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	28408

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill,
    Congratulations on a successful beach landing that didn't need to be renamed or a recovery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot if I had known the cool kids were out playing I would have joined in. Looks great, is that Mr Mike back in the fight?

Andrew and I messed around all day, then came home to the Super Moon rising over Fairground Field. Was a great day in Maine
    jim

Name:	moon.JPG 
Views:	2622 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	28409
    Last edited by Scouter; 11-13-2016 at 08:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Shoot if I had known the cool kids were out playing I would have joined in. Looks great, is that Mr Mike back in the fight?

Andrew and I messed around all day, then came home to the Super Moon rising over Fairground Field. Was a great day in Maine
    jim
    Sorry we missed you Jim.

This was a bit of an impromptu fly in. I was in Maine to help a friend close his camp. Plan was to land at Dan's Friday but the wind was out of the NW 22 G 30 so landing at Dan's was out.
    Headed to Rockland with a runway facing the wind. Lucky to have 4 or 5 pilots from Penobscot Air run out to hold the plane down; fun having the stall horn blaring while parked.
    Mike was among the Penobscot Air pilots who helped me out. Those 206's seemed to do just fine on the ground in the wind.
    Sunday morning Dan wanted to retrieve a meteorite he found last week on dry lake bottom near Bar Harbour so we headed out as a flight of three.

A nice tailwind had me home in two hours via Boston. Direct would have taken me out to sea 30 miles. Water temp is 44* so I opted for the land route.

Always fun to fly in Maine.
    Thinking the next time I see you we might be on skis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks great, is that Mr Mike back in the fight?

jim
    I didn't recognize it either right side up

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Before the day is over Tom will show us a pix of it on a pontoon boat
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill.Brine View Post
    Sorry we missed you Jim.

This was a bit of an impromptu fly in. I was in Maine to help a friend close his camp. Plan was to land at Dan's Friday but the wind was out of the NW 22 G 30 so landing at Dan's was out.
    Headed to Rockland with a runway facing the wind. Lucky to have 4 or 5 pilots from Penobscot Air run out to hold the plane down; fun having the stall horn blaring while parked.
    Mike was among the Penobscot Air pilots who helped me out. Those 206's seemed to do just fine on the ground in the wind.
    Sunday morning Dan wanted to retrieve a meteorite he found last week on dry lake bottom near Bar Harbour so we headed out as a flight of three.

A nice tailwind had me home in two hours via Boston. Direct would have taken me out to sea 30 miles. Water temp is 44* so I opted for the land route.

Always fun to fly in Maine.
    Thinking the next time I see you we might be on skis?
    If you were flying around here last Friday, hats off to you. For the past 2 weeks the wind has howled everyday, feels like its straight off an iceberg. Since Friday, the wind has died. Yes to the skis, wont be long now.

Name:	IMG_1444.jpg 
Views:	2562 
Size:	102.9 KB 
ID:	28420

Post Thanks / Like
    My wife sent me this pix today, she saw it on Facebook. Beautiful family, except they let Wilford Brimley on the end come to the wedding. Didnt know he owned a tie, cleans up real nice. Kids got their looks from mom

Name:	15037133_1466042363425319_2281980167995268345_n.jpg 
Views:	2515 
Size:	66.5 KB 
ID:	28431
    Likes pzinck liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yippie, 6" so far. Guess I better take the brushhog off an install the snowblower

Name:	IMG_20161120_111106147.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	28491

Name:	IMG_20161120_112043175.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	28493

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 11-20-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Appears to be a pretty good breeze too. We're not quite ready for 6", so feel free to hold it back at your place.

pb