Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: N9460D 'A' model Super Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    Cub is looking good Martt! By the way, nice job on TRM, just finished listening to your episode.
    Thanks AirPigz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hann View Post
    Cub is looking good Martt! By the way, nice job on TRM, just finished listening to your episode.
    Thanx! I haven't been on or done a podcast for several years so that was a lot of fun. Anyone that likes The Rocketeer movie should check out The Rocketeer Minute podcast, they go over a minute of the movie at a time, and I was a guest host on episode 103 that was posted a couple days ago : http://www.rocketeerminute.com/episo...03-the-closest

I did several podcast interviews on my own site (http://www.airpigz.com) back in the day but the podcasts aren't hosted any longer, but the website is. Lots of avgeekery there, even if there's isn't much SC stuff.

Martt
    Thanks Jim Hann thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Once again I've been posting most of my updates on my personal facebook page, but figured I better post here again as I've been very thankful for the input that's come from the members here.

For a variety of reasons I'm running behind on the restoration on N9460D but I'm finally getting pretty close to completion. The inclusion of 8 STC mods that weren't in the original plan, plus doing the bulk of the work in an alternative (small) workspace have added quite a bit of time... plus, it's an airplane project, when do those EVER go to plan??

Anyway, the engine is back on, and I painted the upper boot cowl late Saturday night and got to see what it looks like on the airplane yesterday. I think it's looking pretty nice.

The cowling has been a lot of work with paint stripping, replacing some parts, patching some holes, and trying to make the aluminum nose bowl look good. It had a significant collection of dents and dings. I hammered out about the 85% of the ugly and then used filler to dress up another 15%. I figure 95% is good enough at this point. The test fitting yesterday of it and the rest of the cowling went extremely well. I had to make several repairs to the cowling mounting arms, and with a new firewall and boot cowl, I wasn't sure how everything would come back together. Fortunately it's all fitting really well right from the start.

November-6.1.jpg

November-6.2.jpg

Now that the lower cowl has been fitting once again, I can now get the muffler pin holes drilled and get it mounted permanently. I had the muffler overhauled and those holes aren't in place yet.

The instrument panel is complete and I'm really happy that it's perfectly living up to my vision for it. Simple, retro, and really crisp were the goals there. And the RAM mount for an iPad mini seems to be working exactly as I had hoped. Headset jacks will be up in the left wing root, and after a lot of thought I'm putting the ptt buttons on the stick just below where your hand sits. Even tho my first thought was to mount the ptt slightly left of the stick center (where your little finger is when you hand is wrapped around the stick, I eventually decided that to the right of center makes more sense. A light grip on the stick (with maybe just 3 fingers) actually puts your little finger to the right of the stick center. I'm hoping this pans out well in practice. Time will tell.

November-6.3.jpg

November-6.4.jpg

The intercom at the far left of the panel is a Sigtronics spa-400 with their 2-1/4" round face. I removed their graphics and added the really simple retro look ones that I made. I used an image of the old 'THROTTLE' marking from the side panel to build up a custom font. The letters I built up where then converted for free on a website I found into an actual font. After building up the graphics for all the markings I had a local sign shop print them on a clear matte vinyl and then cut them out. The original plan was to have vinyl letters cut directly, but the small letters were not working with their equipment. By printing them and then cutting oversize (there's some of the clear vinyl beyond the letter edges) it all worked pretty well. I didn't expect that vinyl would stick well enough in the long run, so the plan was to clearcoat over to seal them in place. I found a rattle can matte clear coat that's actually a 2 part catalyzed polyurethane (once the plunger is pushed and the 2 parts mixed, it has a 48 hour pot life) and it worked really well. It's $25 a can, but seemed cheaper than trying to find an automotive matte clearcoat.

November-6.5.jpg

I'm also planning to incorporate a bluetooth unit that should easily allow Foreflight audio (and more importantly, music) to be fed from the iPad into the headsets without interrupting radio or intercom usage.

I made an aluminum tray to mount the handheld in. The mount has nut plates behind the throttle tunnel so it can easily be removed so the radio can just be gone if desired. I also altered the AA battery case that the Sporty's SP-400 has with a 10-32 nutplate inside (that case can't be used with AA batteries now) and have a thumb screw that comes up from underneath the radio to hold it in the tray. The thumbscrew is captured on a line so you can't lose it when you are removing or installing it. Where the radio is mounted makes it easy to see and adjust, keeps it just clear of flap handle operation, and allows the external antenna coax and other connecting wires to quickly disappear under the panel to keep the installation looking pretty clean. It and the iPad will get power from 2 individually fused 12v power ports mounted just back under the panel out of view.

November-6.6.jpg

Just a couple thousand things left to do and this ole girl will be flying again : )

Martt Clupper
    Open Door Flying
    Warsaw, Indiana
    N9460D
    1959 PA-18A flat top

I'm setting up shop to continue aircraft work going forward... here's the Open Door Flying facebook page.
    Last edited by AirPigz; 11-07-2017 at 08:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job
    Thanks AirPigz thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Martt, really like the simple panel. Where did you find the slip indicator? Is that custom printing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearhawk Builder View Post
    Martt, really like the simple panel. Where did you find the slip indicator? Is that custom printing?
    Thanx... it's the vacuum turn coordinator that was in the airplane but I removed the dual venturies and had no plan to include any vacuum instruments in the restoration, so I perked up when Keystone Instruments mentioned they have modified some of them to just simply be a nice slip indicator. With the needle removed and the hash marks gone it makes a perfect place for some custom graphics. So I built up that copy of the old Piper logo and added Super Cub then too so they could silk screen those graphics on the face.

I'm a big fan of disciplined coordinated flight, so having a nice big (and very attractive) ball front and center should encourage my brother (who the airplane is for) to pay attention to his feet : )

Post Thanks / Like
    FYI, Reiker makes a couple different sizes of slip/skid instruments. Their relatively small height allows you to mount them high on the panel where they’ll do the most good and not interfere with other instruments.

MTV