Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pilatus Porter Down

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Bill.

Words can not heal, but my best to families and friends
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Man.. not what any of us had hoped for. Godspeed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your friendship Dave. Gonna miss you man.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2064 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	182 
Size:	347.9 KB 
ID:	28280

Post Thanks / Like
    I am so sorry to hear this sad news. I met him only once, but know how important his friendship was to many on this website. I am sorry for your loss.

Randy
    Likes Coulee Clipper liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    So sad.... not what anybody wanted to hear.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Damn.....

Post Thanks / Like
    What a loss! So sorry for all who knew him! Prayers for his family and friends!!!

cafi

Post Thanks / Like
    Thoughts and prayers to David's family.
    I didn't know David, but anytime a fellow aviator is lost, I feel sad for the those involved and their familys... R.I.P David

Mark Stanley
    Japan

Post Thanks / Like
    What's left to say of another loss in that part of our existence where fate is always the hunter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Got no words, sorry to all his friends and family. Glad they found him, but not what we wanted them to find.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Read this and then ask yourself if the plane failed him, or ?

http://ntl.bts.gov/lib/39000/39800/39867/0217.pdf

GAP

Post Thanks / Like
    Your point ? ..........
    After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF !

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently no point or purpose. Nor does it belong in this thread.

Post Thanks / Like
    BC12D, are you saying maybe David made a mistake? Well, that's brilliant.
    Which one of us hasn't pushed too far into weather or took a turn that looked right, but wasn't.
    David and I had long talks about risk management, how there's no shame in doing it tomorrow if it doesn't look good today.
    We talked about how there's no glory in getting yourself or anyone else killed.
    Those who think they'd never make the mistake David made are too full of themselves to be taken seriously.
    Maybe, if David had made it, I'd feel like killing him for taking a chance that didn't need to be taken.
    Thanks for the salt in an open wound. You made my day.

Post Thanks / Like
    The last four "opposing" posts are interesting. When and where do we discuss learning the hard lessons from this dangerous avocation? Maybe on the main forum we discuss the man and who he was but we also need a place to tear apart "our" (and it could be any of us) decision making process. Perhaps it is a another function R&R could serve?

Personally I don't believe a thread such as this where there is a personal connection to the pilot by many on here, is the correct place. But later, after the NTSB is really done (mostly ruling things out), then we owe it to ourselves and the pilot to unpack this thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am in total agreement with qsmx440's post. There are two entirely different things to be addressed here: 1. our condolences and sadness over the loss of a friend; 2. what happened, what can we learn about it. It is very difficult to separate the two, but separation is exactly what needs to happen.

We are a unique brotherhood and sisterhood here, and we need to suppress the analytical side of ourselves in order to honor and respect not only the person(s) involved but also our brothers and sisters, as we mourn our losses. That suppression is difficult, particularly for men in that we are more often than not very good at compartmentalizing. But suppress we must...

Randy
    Likes swoeric liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's rather simple. Start your own thread in the general forum to discuss risk assessment, risk compensation, flying in weather, or what ever one feels needs to be discussed. There's a place and time for everything. As much as an incident may prompt it, it's not actually related, because you_were_not_there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Which one of us hasn't pushed too far into weather or took a turn that looked right, but wasn't.
    Exactly. Surprises can confound the best of analyses and skill sets. So sorry, Carey, for the loss of your friend.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, you friends have inspired another thread...

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...189#post673189

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Carey,

Anne and I and everyone else at Spencer Aircraft want to pass on our condolences to you and to all of David's friends and family.

He was a very nice man, and we're all sad to hear of his passing. Some of the nicest people I've ever met I met here at work, and it is always terribly difficult to cope with one of them leaving us too soon.

Take care - we'll be thinking of David and you! Rest in peace, David - you'll be missed by many.

Post Thanks / Like
    Condolences to family and friends - this gentleman appears to have made an active and positive contribution through aviation, and therefore a sad event. Until the accident report is in we really don't know the circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like
    Condolences to David's family and friends from the Curtin family. Just realized this morning that i spoke to David a couple of times on a propeller. Sad to hear of the sudden loss.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Carey, just read about your friend. Very sorry you lost a good buddy. God bless.

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/adn...&pid=182623204

[COLOR=#6C6C6C !important]Guest Book[/COLOR]

• "David was such a kind, generous landlord and friend. My son..."- Edina Toole

On Friday, Oct. 28, 2016, Alaska lost a treasured son, David McRae. Born on April 20, 1961, in Seattle, Wash., to Bristol Bay's Grace (Gardiner) McRae and fisherman/carpenter father Sam McRae, David grew up between homes in Seattle; Williams Lake, British Columbia; and summer fish camps in Ekuk and Naknek, Alaska. During his school years in Williams Lake, David lived with his father, an accomplished log home builder, who traveled extensively in his work. In the times his father was away, he became a beloved family member to the Durfeld and Vaughn families. David's love of flying started with Dr. Vaughn's collection of small planes. David's mother, Grace, was a long-tenured nurse at Virginia Mason hospital in Seattle, where she had a home often shared with David. Grace's mother, Lydia Gardiner of Aleknagik, Alaska, operated a salmon set net site and introduced David to the world of commercial fishing. Wanting more fishing experience, David worked with the Smith family of Aleknagik and quickly transitioned from deckhand to captain while fishing all districts in Bristol Bay. After finishing a degree at Western Washington University, he contemplated many careers and happily committed to none. In the decades that followed he became a commercial pilot, artist, carpenter, builder, collector, apartment manager, trader, entrepreneur, guide, traveler, while always falling back on aviation and fishing as his core work. From his earliest days, he was identified as a high achiever, athletic, well-liked and enthusiastic. His optimism, friendly interest, capabilities and available time made him a magnet for all manner of friends. He could always be counted on for an impromptu trip abroad, surfing in Hawaii, caribou hunting, motocross riding, fixing up an old truck, building a cabin, resurrecting a boat and finding just the right airplane or airplane part. David felt a special kinship with his aunt and uncle, Bella and Jay Hammond; their daughter, Heidi; and their grandchildren, Jay and Lauren. He spent many summers fishing with Heidi and her children at their Naknek River set net site. As Governor Hammond eased into retirement, David took on responsibility for supporting the Hammond's Lake Clark homestead, where Bella still resides. David was preceded in death by both his parents and older brother, Sam Jr. He also leaves behind constellations of friends in the Cariboo region of British Columbia; Seattle, where he was known as the "Mayor of Minor Avenue"; Anchorage, where he was a fixture in the aviation community; and Bristol Bay, where he had numerous fishing and flying colleagues, and cousins in the extended Gardiner family. A Celebration of Life will be held on Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016, at 6 p.m., at the Alaska Aviation Museum, 4721 Aircraft Drive in Anchorage, Alaska.

Published in Alaska Dispatch News on Nov. 19, 2016

Print | View Guest Book |

- See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/adn....udwFm0hz.dpuf
    Thanks barbwire thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Very Sad
    My prayers go to friends and family

Post Thanks / Like
    were they able to?/did they? recover the wreckage this past summer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    were they able to?/did they? recover the wreckage this past summer?
    Not to my knowledge. The family has not seen recovering the wreckage as a priority and to their credit neither has the park. Frankly, I would leave it there forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 12-05-2018 at 01:43 PM.
    Thanks mike mcs repair thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    That's sobering.
    It has been over two years and there's never been a day when David wasn't missed.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post