• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Ipad Mini in a Skywagon

Whether at home on the sofa or on a commercial flight my iPad Mini is a constant companion but in my airplane? My iPhone 6 Plus turned out to be more convenient and more available since it is always in my pocket. I now have an iPhone 7 Plus and while it doesn't do anything important that the 6 didn't do it does have double the memory so I don't hesitate to have Garmin Pilot and Foreflight fully downloaded on it. It fits on the yoke of the Cessna very nicely and soon will have a spot on my Cub panel. My G3X will bluetooth to it and along with the independent GP app capability it'll make adding a G5 backup instrument unnecessary. The Cessna has a GDL39-3D so I already have GP and Foreflight with ADHRS and ADS-B info in that plane. All that and it doubles as a handy pocket computer, has tons of music on it, and can make phone calls. Talk about versatile!

Last edited:
Samsung "Galaxy Tab A" 16 GB 8" tablet, $200 from Best Buy.
Avare moving map GPS app, free.
Home-made aluminum shelf + velcro mount, about $2.
Not too big, not too small. Works great.

panel 7.JPG

Attachments

• panel 7.JPG
    panel 7.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 163
I like the device on the yoke so I can manipulate it with my thumb and have a "rest" for my hand in rough air. The second photo is the "custom" iphone mount on a Beav yoke.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 117
I think the iPad sucks on sunny days and in turbulence. My mini was mounted via a swivel mount on the panel...I wouldn't want it on my yoke...in the way...I quit using the iPad for these reasons...I miss Foreflight but a lot of the gee whiz crap didn't work up here in Alaska out of the Los Anchorage area anyways...Sorry I'm not much help...old school...

I use it for tunes also. The iphone/Foreflite works great for me

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 100
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 93
I think the iPad sucks on sunny days and in turbulence. My mini was mounted via a swivel mount on the panel...I wouldn't want it on my yoke...in the way...I quit using the iPad for these reasons...I miss Foreflight but a lot of the gee whiz crap didn't work up here in Alaska out of the Los Anchorage area anyways...Sorry I'm not much help...old school...

sorry it didnt work out for you. 206 yokes and panels too cluttered for my yoke mounted phone and also the mini for sure.

Mini is too much on the Beav yoke so I only use the iphone 6plus there.

It should be obvious from the above pictures that on my 180 panel i enjoy an uncluttered view of the panel AND the use of a mini on the yoke.

What was the "....Gee whizz crap didnt work...." ??? Outside of Anchorage?? Thanks

Last edited:
Back