• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

1969 PA18-150 charging problem

Careful about putting automotive alternators on. They can melt down with certain regulator failures and sling solder around. The only internally regulated alternator that I trust are the Plane-Power ones as they claim a regulator that will not run away when shorted out. That's my observation from working on aircraft and automotive systems and others will tell you different.

Web

for the internally regulated ones, Plane-Power is the only one that claims to have wired them to prevent a runaway. They wont tell me how they do it, but I suspect they put a relay on the lead that powers the field. If that relay is opened then the field is physically disconnected from power.

Both B&C and plane power start with Nippondenso style frames. Then install their own components. Makes for a compact alternator.

Web

http://www.bandc.aero/alternatorbossmountforpa-1819stc-pma-1.aspx

"Note: This installation applies to aircraft with previously existing electrical systems, and oil coolers mounted on the aft engine baffle only. Aircraft otherwise equipped will require field alteration and FAA approval; or modification per previously existing STC."

Says the oil cooler has to be mounted aft?! My oil cooler is in the nose bowl. Isn't that where they all are?

They started in the nose bowl. Many have been relocated to an aft Position.
B&C is working on updating the STC with new brackets so that it can be used in the original nose bowl position. When I talked to them they was hoping to have it approved by the end of the year

Back