• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna skin sealing question

Tom3holer

Cape Cod
My 185 needs a little filling in of a couple of skin seams that don't fit flush.

I have heard that Dow Corning 732 is the stuff to use.
Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks,
Tom

The only time sealing a lapped seam has been important to me has been to stop rain from leaking into the cabin. For 15 years I never saw a drop and one day it decided to leak. I used 732 on seams above the cabin and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Hint, use masking tape to define your lines and minimize exposed silicone. It'll attract dust and while its clear in the beginning it'll be visible once it takes on the color of dirt. Tape your lines, apply and level the silicone, pull the tapes immediately.

The only time sealing a lapped seam has been important to me has been to stop rain from leaking into the cabin. For 15 years I never saw a drop and one day it decided to leak. I used 732 on seams above the cabin and it hasn't leaked a drop since. Hint, use masking tape to define your lines and minimize exposed silicone. It'll attract dust and while its clear in the beginning it'll be visible once it takes on the color of dirt. Tape your lines, apply and level the silicone, pull the tapes immediately.
I've had good success tooling silicone caulk by dipping my finger in soapy water, and then running my finger down the caulk joint. Is that what you meant by "level the silicone"?

That works, yes. Some guys prefer tools but I use my finger and wipe it often on a clean rag or paper towel. I use my nails more than the tips. Silicone skins quickly so do short seams or sections rather than attacking a bigger job all at once.

The canadian shops seal the lower seams to keep water from migrating into the joints on float planes. Reduces corrosion considerably.

You might want to find a white product if your paint is white.

Just thinking out loud

Thanks guys,

Fortunately all the seems that need caulking are white and the tube I have is white. so it should work OK.

Tom

Did most of the seams that needed work yesterday and it came out very nice. Easy to work with an what stewartb said is right.

Yes, it has a V Brace being a floatplane.

It was more for the strap seams along the sides where the bottom one overlaps the top there were some gaps that will collect water; all filled now.
It is nice stuff to work with and the white matches very well.

Just a follow up on 732.
What I am seeing now is that even though its an almost perfect match for the white it is, as mentioned by another poster, its picking up dirt on the areas that overlapped. Cleaning off is a bit challenging, so far using my finger tip and rubbing back and forth seems to work but slow and tiresome.

T

The stuff will discolor some with age. They call these things SkyWAGONS, not SkyMERCEDES by the way. Perfection may be difficult to achieve, but a good goal to try for.

MTV

Back