• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Getting schooled, but SC.ORG scores again

aktango58

FRIEND
18AA
I have had my Maule for a couple of weeks now. Don't have lots of time to fly it with the work schedule, but it sure is sweet!

A fellow SC.org member flew her up for me because I was working all summer. Here is the article he wrote for Backcountry Pilot:

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/fe...red-trip-reports/maule-ferry-flight-to-alaska

Thank you Ted for brining my plane to me, and writing such a great article!

For those not used to flying a Maule, they are different!:crazyeyes: Still working on technique, hope to be ready for off airports by middle of October.

A fellow SC.org member flew her up for me because I was working all summer. Here is the article he wrote for Backcountry Pilot:

https://www.backcountrypilot.org/fe...red-trip-reports/maule-ferry-flight-to-alaska

For those not used to flying a Maule, they are different!:crazyeyes: Still working on technique, hope to be ready for off airports by middle of October.
What a gorgeous part of the World, Thanks for the memories. It is unfortunate that we can not be in two places, doing two separate jobs at the same time.

I too enjoyed Ted's writeup. Tha actual runway is in the US. you can taxi or walk across the border to Canada but you still must walk or taxi back to the US runway to take off.

I flew right past it coming south into the US due to smoke from the 10 million fires. It doesnt stand out in very low vis. I was at 200 ft. No flight plan from Creston and no squawk. No one asked or cared. You can leave your bale of pot by the runway and no one will know. Dont forget to pick it up before you leave.

Must have improved the signage as I had to call the US ICE at porthill to find out where to go. You cant see anything from the runway. Neither station can see the runway. The US porthill dont get hung up on the two hour thing. Just file on line and call first. Thats why I stopped at Creston. Also to gain a little knowledge.

All the Canadians want is $25 for your shotgun.

Last edited:
I have had my Maule for a couple of weeks now. Don't have lots of time to fly it with the work schedule, but it sure is sweet!

Did you hit your head?[emoji1]

Yes, I think I can still fly a cub, if they will have me.

GB: Many times! 1:10:00 Sitka to Haines, so has advantages

George,

Flying a Maule is like wearing a Kilt in public. In a big wind they can be a handful.

Jerry

George,

Flying a Maule is like wearing a Kilt in public. In a big wind they can be a handful.

Jerry

More than a handful all the time:wink:

New planes are fun, but for once I am intimidated. As much because I can not sit in it for three days and get lots of time quick, but I put 15 hours in the 185 shopping kart then hop to the maule:oops:. In the air the controls feel about like the Beaver- very light and responsive. Don't reach down and flip the trip like you do the Cessna:roll:

Taking time to do it right. Today I sat home due to low clouds and vis, then wind. Getting older.

When I got the Citabria, I didn't get to fly it for a month and a half. Part of that was some work we did on it, but a lot of it was just that we had a month of strong, gusty winds (20-35 knots - not conducive to tailwheel endorsement training). Had a couple of days in there where I might have been able to fly, but didn't want to fly an hour, then sit a week before flying again. Waited for a week forecast of good weather and went to town on training. One good thing about the crazy weather was that as my tailwheel time went up, so did the winds. By the time the 10 hours insurance required was done, I was handling 10-12 knot crosswind components pretty well. I think I'm now at a good "balance point" between being reasonably confident in my landings, while still having a bit of the pucker-factor that keeps your attention focused. Tons of fun, though! I'm flying more than I ever have, even though I'm not really going places all that much. Over 150 full-stop landings in just under 30 hours so far...

I don't even bother counting anything anymore. Got home the other day to 30 degrees 9 kts bouncing to 60 degrees 12 kts the other way. What really got my attention was not the crosswind, but how much the nose came up from cruise!!! Different look!

I do need to spend a couple days shooting landings, but it is moose season, so I need to hunt. Plane is safe at the airport. Will be on standby for days in Sitka next week, take some landing time again then!

Back