• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa-12 Flaps Not retracting

Can I pass blame now?lol JK , I hired him so I get to own it.

IMG_3227.JPGIMG_3230.JPGIMG_3231.JPG

Flaps are covered under older day/night field approval from 77 i believe. So if anyone has any recommendations as to fabricating a new one I'm open to suggestions. Or am I allowed to scarf off the old tab and weld a new one and reassemble? Seems straight forward enough. Is it necessary to have an AP sign off on it ?
Materials?

And thanks for the help troubleshooting everyone, it's greatly appreciated...if anyone needs suggestions on who not to use as a ferry/ CFI message me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_3227.JPG
    IMG_3227.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_3230.JPG
    IMG_3230.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 468
  • IMG_3231.JPG
    IMG_3231.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 331
but.... the direction it bent, i wouldn't think could hold your flaps DOWN at rest, it would loosen cable.... ??? allowing them to go up fine and have LESS down travel....

picture of bottom of bend please

the forces are not in that direction to bend it that way in use....

76f139ad724af8630c62aec6247581ed.jpg

If the that is bent was full length then it would allow for the flaps to retract to even the negative setting. I found this out when I reattached the springs to the bell housing.

Please tell me what tree to bark up then.
What is the purpose in bending it?

Do by chance have any diagrams of their STC to see what could possibly be lingering, and for what it's worth there is fresh paint off in the creases of the bend. That what makes it look fresh, and plus as soon as the handle was disconnected they snapped right up.

What is the purpose in bending it?

you'd have to ask the original installer... my guess is to miss the float tube??? maybe

Pa-12 flap installs are all weird/different compromises I've seen.....

the long flap day & night STC even has you BEND the flap hangers up to 20? degrees to let them use the wrong side(twist) -18 AILERON as a flap on opposite wing.... way funky stuff....

Do by chance have any diagrams of their STC to see what could possibly be lingering, and for what it's worth there is fresh paint off in the creases of the bend. That what makes it look fresh, and plus as soon as the handle was disconnected they snapped right up.

i assume the pulley the cable goes in after the flap handle is in normal place ABOVE & behind handle PIVOT on the diagonal to rear, hence that bend you accuse makes cable get LOOSER, not TIGHTER as you are eluding to....

So I went back this morning, took the handle , straightened the ear, made sure all pulleys and springs were g2g just to see if that would give it enough to retract them. Sure enough that was the ticket. Worked perfectly.IMG_3235.JPGIMG_3236.JPGIMG_3237.JPG

Need to get a new handle...

Attachments

• IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
    261 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 254
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
    276.3 KB · Views: 242
Fly home without flaps, send the so called ferry pilot packing, get a decent mechanic and make a new flap handle, the STC should be in the paperwork you got when you bought the airplane.

Back