• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Can a Garmin G5 function as a GPS source for another device?

Go on Garmin's website and get a copy of the 'G5 User's Manual'. Page 75, table 1-19, shows the formats available for programming the -232 inputs/outputs. Looks like it depends on the unit you want to connect it to. The manual also says that the G5 has an internal GPS antenna but can be connected to an external antenna if desired.

Web

FWIW I installed a G5 in the panel of my C180 and the GPS reception using the internal antenna was intermittent.
I bought a $20 Garmin GA25BNC antenna, hooked it up, & put it up on the glare shield -- works perfect.

FWIW Not a G5, I have a 695 mounted in the panel of my Cub. It works perfectly, in the hangar with the door closed WITHOUT an external antenna.

I believe this unit was originally designed to supplement the Garmin GX3 touch-screen flight / engine displays,
and the stand-alone capabilities are just a happy coincidence.
But I'm guessing that they'll sell more for stand-alone use than for using in combination with the GX3.
So it will definitely work in conjunction with a GX3, maybe even with other Garmin devices such as 695/696/795/796 series.
But I'm thinking they probably didn't design in any capability to work with competitor's equipment-- at least not on purpose.
Here's a link to the 152 page G5 users manual.

http://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-02072-00_B.pdf

Look at the programming format required for the unit you want to connect to the G5. If it's listed in the options in the G5 manual, it will work regardless of brand.

Web

garmin.jpg

Flew with the G5 doing a flight review in an Arrow today. The folks that own this plane will replace the DG with the G5 version of that and get rid of the vacuum pump next. Pretty impressive little device and WAY cheaper that some of these $125,000 Aspen installs I have heard about...

sj

Attachments

• garmin.jpg
    garmin.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 421
View attachment 32461

Flew with the G5 doing a flight review in an Arrow today. The folks that own this plane will replace the DG with the G5 version of that and get rid of the vacuum pump next. Pretty impressive little device and WAY cheaper that some of these $125,000 Aspen installs I have heard about...

sj
Boy did I get a deal on my Aspen (including the GPSS module), so much that they threw in a Garmin GTN 650 GPS/radio, a lifesaver backup attitude indicator, removed the entire vacuum system and standby system, rebuilt and moved a KX 155, tossed in a new ADSB compliant Garmin Tx, included free installation and by your pricing gave me a $70K instant rebate.

Last edited:
Only ONE G5 allowed to be installed, as per manual.

But just toss the DG- not needed.

Even for IFR? I would think you would want a backup instrument (the G5 with DG) for that environment.

sj

Boy did I get a deal on my Aspen (including the GPSS module), so much that they threw in a Garmin GTN 650 GPS/radio, a lifesaver backup attitude indicator, removed the entire vacuum system and standby system, rebuilt and moved a KX 155, tossed in a new ADSB compliant Garmin Tx, included free installation and by your pricing gave me a $70K instant rebate.

So from your math, $125K - $70K = $55K for all that?

FWIW I wonder if SJ just got his decimal misplaced?
Guy I know had an Aspen installed a year or two ago and I think he told me it was around $12K.

No, it just "starts" with the Aspen and is a slippery slope.

sj

Back