• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Grand Junction Co. To northwest Georgia newbie trip

Tony Armour

Dalton, Ga.
Picking up new to me airplane. Any overnight or even daytime rest stop suggestions. Slight possibility I will go west 180 miles to Provo Utah for a night or two then head back east. Around 1200 miles from KGJT to KDNN. I will be flying a Just Superstol, 90 mph, 3 to 3.5 hour max range. Direct takes me thru Kansas or Oklahoma and Missouri or Arkansas. North end of Texas isn't out of the question. Then Tn. Or MS. I have been flying 20 years but will be carrying my newly minted tailwheel endorsement so I'm not looking for off field or really weird (hard) places to land. I just want to get myself and the plane back safe and sound. Probably (unfortunately) paved strips for fuel ?? I will be prepared to sleep under the wing but no cooking although I can live off off cold microwave food cups, Pop Tarts and water if need be. I'm not in a huge hurry but not looking to take a whole week either. Mini adventure I hope. Also folks out in CO. Or Utah, if you have any suggestions on routes, tips, tricks I'm all ears. I've been over in my Mooney but at 20,000'+ :) Stories I hear of winds and downdrafts make me a little nervous. It is turbocharged (Rotax) no transponder at the moment. Any and all help appreciated. Lastly, I hope flying a non Cub isn't a deal breaker here ;-) maybe it helps that the owner is keeping his Carbon Cub and selling this junker Haha. Thanks for the forum, lots of great info.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    319.4 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
KGJT - KMTJ - 04V - KALS - 07V - 3M0 - KDNN

This route bypasses most of the high terrain and takes you past Great Sands National Monument in Colorado and Gaston's in Arkansas.

1200 miles, 13 hours at 90 kts

Last edited:
I don't read routes, but a fair possibility is to follow the river down to Page, Arz, then over Mountainair NM or up over Raton. From there it is a straight shot to Georgia.

A newly minted taildragger should stay in the pattern for 20 hours or so - work your way up to gnarly crosswinds. You will not be sorry. Or take Marie Claire with you - she has tons of Cub time and is somewhere in the Griffin area.

Living in the mountain west, I agree with the route Speedo proposed to get you through the mountains to Alamosa, CO. Top off there, then climb over LeVeta pass at 11,000' and you are golden headed east. Once across LeVeta Pass, weather and fuel are really your only concerns. If you don't spend much time in the mountains, be aware of the wind direction and try to stay out of the leeward side of mountains. Rotors on the downwind side can have quite severe turbulence and downdrafts. We are just getting into the best time of year to fly this area, so enjoy your trip.

As Bob alluded, try to polish on that newly minted TW endorsement a bit before your trip and take some time to get comfortable with the plane before you head off across the country.

-Cub Builder

I don't read routes, but a fair possibility is to follow the river down to Page, Arz, then over Mountainair NM or up over Raton. From there it is a straight shot to Georgia.

A newly minted taildragger should stay in the pattern for 20 hours or so - work your way up to gnarly crosswinds. You will not be sorry. Or take Marie Claire with you - she has tons of Cub time and is somewhere in the Griffin area.

Agreed with the 20 hours in the pattern and finding an experience conventional gear pilot to fly with. Not so sure of the route. East of Page in AZ and NM is very empty and hot this time of year. Maybe that is me a flatlander from the east talking.

I have done Central Colorado to Texas many times. One time, 24 years ago, I flew a Super Cub from Fort Worth, to Aspen, to Telluride, to Moab, to Boulder, to Eufala Alabama, to New Orleans, to Fort Worth.

First and foremost-do not fly in the mountains after noon. Better to quit at 11:00 am. Get up early, fly early and quit early. The winds, temps and storms all pick up in the afternoon. Don't mess with it. I am flying a Caravan from Fort Worth to Buena Vista, Co tomorrow morning. I will be on the ground before 11:00 am.

If you have extra time, after Alamosa, head down the front range and fly into New Mexico. Beautiful country. Taos and Ruidosa are both nice stops. Santa Fe is also a nice overnight, but the airport is bigger.

Then, head over to the Palo Duro Canyon in Texas. The Comanches used to hang out in the canyon. Great flying. Head east and I think you will hit some very pretty areas in eastern Oklahoma and Arkansas. I don't have any suggestions past there.

I am envious!

First and foremost-do not fly in the mountains after noon. Better to quit at 11:00 am. Get up early, fly early and quit early. The winds, temps and storms all pick up in the afternoon. Don't mess with it. I am flying a Caravan from Fort Worth to Buena Vista, Co tomorrow morning. I will be on the ground before 11:00 am.

If you have extra time, after Alamosa, head down the front range and fly into New Mexico. Beautiful country. Taos and Ruidosa are both nice stops. Santa Fe is also a nice overnight, but the airport is bigger.

I am envious!

Thunderstorms and gusty winds do build quickly after noon in the mountains.

If you choose to come as far south as Santa Fe, send me a PM and stop in across the valley at KLAM. I've got hangar space for your plane and a room for you to RON. But if I was headed east and wanted to keep the trip short and the mountain flying to a minimum, I'd head across LaVeta Pass and be done with the mountains.

-Cub Builder

Wow, thanks all for the info and tips. Very tempting to fly south into New Mexico....spend more time. I'll have to see how my schedule looks but for sure I am going to budget as much time as needed (maybe can't wonder around a lot this time) I can already tell that I will have to head back to that area after I get some experience under my belt.

Pretty interesting that this place is pretty much on the direct route line AND 9 miles from the halfway point :) Even flying the suggested route/pass it's not much farther to Stop there.

Tony
It looks like ...... is right in your flight path . (07S)
Doug

Congratulations on the purchase neighbor. Stop in an see us sometime (4AL5) or better yet, fly over to a Moontown (3M5) breakfast on the 3rd Saturday of every month. Perhaps you have met that shady character just north of you who goes by the handle of Charlie Aileron. (Just kiddin Charlie:lol:) Sounds like a fun trip.

The entire route has afternoon wind issues. Take-off just at twilight, and fly hard until 11:00 and tire her down.

Early morning still air is best for going over the mountains, but if there is big winds just stay away.

Get proficient in landing that bird first. Often winds that are calm when you depart become 15g25 and rotating 30 degrees. One thing to land in a steady cross wind, another when it jumps side to side.

One thing to land in a steady cross wind, another when it jumps side to side.

Did that today. Was very busy keeping it into the wind & the floats level. Usually easy landing on the water, today it felt great to let the flaps off & drop the rudders! Whew.

The southwest is getting a lot of moisture this week into next. I'd advise you to head east as directly as possible. The thermal effects in the 4 corners area are infamous in the summer. and not where you want to be after 10am. Come visit the southwest in the winter, it'll be a lot more fun.

Nelson

I was at Moontown last month. My first time. We came over in my buddies Cirrus and borrowed the crew car at the paved strip. I frequent Winchester, Guntersville, Lebanon etc. That sounds like permission to land at 4AL5 and at 150' wide it's right down my alley :wink:

Congratulations on the purchase neighbor. Stop in an see us sometime (4AL5) or better yet, fly over to a Moontown (3M5) breakfast on the 3rd Saturday of every month. Perhaps you have met that shady character just north of you who goes by the handle of Charlie Aileron. (Just kiddin Charlie:lol:) Sounds like a fun trip.

We are getting our annual monsoon rains this time of year. Unlike the frontal storms you see across the Midwest and the East, our moisture is almost 100% convective. The skies are clear in the mornings and the weather is quite nice. Cool and clear. The clouds will start building over the mountain peaks and chains around noon and will build quickly and start spreading. Usually by 2:00, we are getting scattered thunderstorms near the mountains, and by 4:00, you're better off on the ground. That scenario varies depending on how much moisture is in the air. If the dewpoint spread is only 10 or 15 degrees in the morning, the storms will build quickly. If it's 30 or 40 degrees, there isn't enough moisture to make much of a storm. But this time of year threw fall is some of the nicest flying we have.

-Cub Builder

The trip sounds very dangerous. I should grab the plane and fly it home for you ��

Have a great trip!

AKT

No spot, shame on me.
Not a lot of progress today. 235 miles plus checking out several airports from the air to overnight at. (550 yesterday) First stop today was Hereford Tx with weather ahead so I took that time to replace a bearing in the tailwheel. One had come apart. I missed doing the Tailwheel on my inspection. Winds at Hereford were 22 gusting to 32. Luckily they were mostly down the runway. When you can see a wind farm from the airport you know as a new tailwheelpilot you made the wrong decision lol the mechanic there was awesome. Told me to use his tools, put it in his hanger and wouldn't take a dime. Yesterday at Sandia Airpark New Mexico I lost the left brake. I had seen that it had a leak at the caliper but it wasn't bad.... Until Thursday morning and it had leaked pretty good. I should have checked the fluid. I didn't take time to learn how they work, now I know...pretty simple. All it needs is a ferrel but not a standard one. Checked fluid at Hereford and it had barely dropped. Just leaks with pedal pressure. The mechanic at Sandia and I pumped fluid from the bottom to get the air out and fill the reservoir. Quick and easy but I had to make him take a $20. I have met nothing but super nice folks so far ! Local diner special here tonight was fried fish, tiny little town with a nice airport. I crossed Texas easily.... Why do these Tx folks brag about how big the state is ??? Haha
Lots of cool looking places that might have made landing spots but with my lack of tw experience and zero bush (scouting landing sites) experience it wouldn't have been smart.

Pictures, need pictures, keep post coming, enjoy the trip.

A lot of flying today. Made it just past Little Rock. About 400 miles left tomorrow. First leg 4:10 hours and 3:15 on the second leg today. 10,000'+/- most of the day dodging storms. Stopped at a grass strip Airpark and visited an airplane junk yard. No roughing it tonight. Fbo trailer welcomes overnight pilots 24/7. Air conditioning AND finally a shower !

Back