• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Stiff throttle on 185

I don't think there is a bearing on this bellcrank as best as I can tell from the parts manual.
How to remove it is the issue if it comes to that.

Actually there are bearing in the bellcrank. Cessna does not list them but there are a few dealers on ebay that have them.

Has anyone had experience in replacing them?

Tom

Actually there are bearing in the bellcrank. Cessna does not list them but there are a few dealers on ebay that have them.

Has anyone had experience in replacing them?

Tom

have not replaced that exact one, but usually 2 sockets and a bolt & nut get the job done in general...

Tom are you doing this work that your asking about, like changing the throtle cable and working on the flight controls? You don't seem to have much experience as a A&P, and the 185 is a certified airplane. Maybe you should be asking the IA you are working under his" direct supervision", I'm not trying to be short with you but your getting into areas that can make you dead for a long time if done wrong.

Algonquin,

No offense taken at all.

I ordered the new throttle and it is scheduled to go in Thursday for an oil change and My IA will replace the throttle at that time.
I am only doing what he has asked me to do. In the bellcrank issue it was to remove panels so he could get a good look at the issue. He was concerned as there was a bit more slop in the elevator with the wheel held than he liked and wanted to see just where it was. We both talked about there being several Jesus bolts in that area.
He maintains a 185 on anfibs among several other Cessnas.
We both were kinda stumped at removing it, if the time comes, as there doesn't seem to be any access to the pivot bolt area although I bet someone here has done it before and knows how its done.

Algonquin,
I did send a couple of PM's your way.

Tom

Last edited:
I thought that area was accessed (term used loosely) through panels in the tunnel (under flap handle) and from inspection panels in the floor.

If I recall, many commercially used cessnas had added inspection panels in strategic locations to access specific areas like this one and trim jack screws.

Might be the best idea in the end. Does not take much to put an inspection/access hole and place a new cover over it.

Also.... If you are replacing hardware in a Cessna - In many cases the bolts are not standard AN hardware, often shear bolts are used. Usually NAS620XX

Tim

Thats right the gear box is right there.

Interesting the bolt is an AN4 but the nut is a NAS679A4

Last edited:
For the tail boom by the Jack screw Cessna had a SB I believe that let you add a inspection plate there. Up under the floor it's pure magic-lights and mirrors the smoke comes from dropping a wrench ten times and cutting your hand. Kinda just gotta get at it and it'll work out.
The motor mount tips forward on a 185 and may help your IA get at the throtle cable. Make sure you use a good engine crane and go slow lots of stuff to bend and break= money.

There is a access plate STC for jackscrew area that is on mine and it does make access easier.

Didn't realize that the throttle was such a big job. Well it goes in Thursday and we ill see whats involved.

Update,

The elevator has developed a bit more slop so I took the seats out and center console cover off and we had a look.
It seems the fwd bellcrank 0510159 pivot bushing\s have come loose from the bellcrank and that is where the play is.
You can see the bell crank moves up and down somewhat when with pushrod action.
My IA is going to take it out today.
I cannot find a new one available on the common Cessna part houses. They all have no listing for that PN.
The PN may be superseded but doesn't that normally come up when you put in an old number?
They are available on Ebay used but I would rather find a new one.

Tom

....The throttle, although gets the most use, seems worn with numerous scratches on the knob.
The other two are covered in a colored sheath while the throttles spiral rap is exposed so it may be original....

Responding to an older post on this thread....
my mechanic uses Kroil, which is a penetrating oil (I think they make a special aviation version).
He sprays it on the outside of the spiral cable housing and it penetrates through that to the inner cable.
I used it on my carb heat cable, with (limited) success.
Obviously this wouldn't do much for the newer teflon-lined cable housings.

It was interesting that both cowl flap, mixture and prop were new with the engine but the throttle wasn't so I replaced it with a new McFarland.
Unfortunately I have a Seaplanes West mount which is non tilting but my IA got the job done no problem.

Back