• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cruise speed for a 185

IO-550 powered 185 w/3 blade hartzell 24"/2400 leaned ROP 15.6 gph = 123 knots (141 mph) IAS at 1000 feet on amphibs.

Tom's new plane looks fast.
I think his tailwheel is almost as big as the main gear_DSC3242.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC3242.jpg
    _DSC3242.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 365
Don't know about various altitudes but on cross country, I always flight planned 14 gph and ran it 24 square. Usually ran 140 kts. and a smidge under 14 gph. 27 years of back and forth to AK. Stock '67 with the 520.
Mike

IO-550 powered 185 w/3 blade hartzell 24"/2400 leaned ROP 15.6 gph = 123 knots (141 mph) IAS at 1000 feet on amphibs.

Edos? With the Aerocetts I don't see 120 level. Run 115 most of the time it seems, and 15/hour is about right.

Stock 67? As in IO-470?

This talk of 185 is dangerous to my financial health, something the C90-8F Super Cub is innocent of.

I have been coveting a 185B with this set up

1 x CONTINENTAL MOTORS CORP IO-470-F ( MCCAULEY D2A34C58-0/S-90AT-2 )

Unmolested with Tarmac tyres - not sure what it would cruise at, but the 182 delivers 125 KIAS down low and 22 square, so am guessing a few knots more. With fuel injection and GAMIs presumably the 470-F is the most efficient of the 180/182/185 series?

I might not get SKI on the call sign so as not to upset the kids.

Edos? With the Aerocetts I don't see 120 level. Run 115 most of the time it seems, and 15/hour is about right.

Stock 67? As in IO-470?
It's a 1976 on EDO 3500s with 12" wing extensions. When it had a IO-520 it was about 118k and averaged about 14.5 gph on a long trip. When heavily loaded that dropped to about 112k, sometimes less and higher head temperatures (bad). When running the TIO-520/intercooled (310 hp) it did 120k burning 17+ gph.

Of the three different engine models and four different props which this plane has had, I like this one absolutely the best. The prop is the Texas Skyways Hartzell Bucaneer. Can't think of the model number right now.

On the way back we were seeing 147-150mph at 23 Sq. at 7500 had it leaned to about 15gph.

Thank you all for the postings.

T

Bill.Brine,

Ok where was that picture taken?

And your right, I might look into replacing it with a standard wheel. It seems rather tough to turn on my sod fieels as compared to my 58 180.

Any thought from members on this XP bush wheel greatly appreciated.

IMG_1886.jpg
Bill.Brine,

Ok where was that picture taken?

And your right, I might look into replacing it with a standard wheel. It seems rather tough to turn on my sod fieels as compared to my 58 180.

Any thought from members on this XP bush wheel greatly appreciated.

Photo was Saturday afternoon at Cape Cod.

Attachments

• IMG_1886.jpg
    IMG_1886.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:
On the way back we were seeing 147-150mph at 23 Sq. at 7500 had it leaned to about 15gph.

Thank you all for the postings.

T
Tom, One thing which you might consider, is to install an electronic fuel flow/consumption instrument. The Cessna gauge is notoriously inaccurate reading high, which it seems that you are referencing. That engine, at that power setting should be using less fuel per hour.

Tom, I've made several comments on past threads about my XP Mods 14" tail wheel. You can find them using XP Mods in the home page search box. If you plan on using 850 or smaller tires you'll probably be happier with a smaller tailwheel that doesn't reduce the AOA and is easier on the tail spring. I switched to the ABW wide fork on my own plane.

Can't tell- is that a 14" XP tailwheel (with 500x5 tire)?
A previous owner put one on my 180 but apparently it had an uncorrectable shimmy problem. He went to an XP 10" t/w which is still on it and works great.
If & when I ever go bigger, it'll be a BW fork kit and 400x4 ribbed tire.

God I love this forum.

Thank everyone for the posts.

It has 800x6's on it now and with that tailwheel is does have a rather shallow AOA. I wonder if Its possible to replace the tailwheel with a small/standard one with that fork and hub. Havn't had the time to look into it.

Pete,
I am looking at a JPI 450 sitting on my desk ready to be installed along side the JPI 700 on the plane now.
I do plan on running LOP when I get comfortable with it.

No, It doesn't have a tailwheel lock....strange I guess.

Just put the standard hub and tire on the fork, will work for you.

When I get home I will look around, I think I have a stock fork off my old 180 that might work for you.

You should be able to install a standard 3400 8" or 10" fork on that head. Or an ABW wide fork if you prefer improved flotation. The XP head casting is hell for stout. The near vertical fork in combination with the big tire is what makes them balky to steer, prone to wobble, and hard on tail springs. Some of your steering issue may be related to the 185's rudder centering system. No matter, the smaller the tail wheel the better it'll steer on suitably firm surfaces.

Thats good news.
So a standard fork and hub and tire should work on that head.
I will have to explore that option.

T

Here's my ABW wide fork on an XP head. The trail angle of the fork works way better than the more vertical XP fork for ground handling. Watch the attachment of the head casting to tail spring on any Skywagon tail but especially with the 14" XP. The two attach bolts will start to wallow out the spring unless you use structural epoxy to bond it and most float guys don't like to bond it because it makes float changes more difficult. Rock the tail and make sure there's no rotation movement between head and spring. I still check mine frequently.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    234.6 KB · Views: 130
Ha-ha! I just saw this and burst out laughing. I had my Skandic WT wide open the other day and hit 50mph - that little Ace 600 was screaming. 20-22mpg, though, which is certainly better than the hi-perf sleds.
J
I got my skandic super wide track up to 80 across the swamp not long after I got it running, (purchased as project). Was happy with such a heavy tub going so fast.

When I got home I noticed the bottom of the speedo: KPH:oops::lol:

Phil
Those are great numbers. Doing the simple math your high burn is getting you 13.75 miles per gallon
My Carbon Cub is about 100 mph at 6 gph or so is 16 mpg

Round yours up to 14 thats pretty close. If you look at used Carbon Cub prices, and 185 prices, and if your hours on earth are valuable, well that sure gives you something to consider
A 300 mile trip for you would be1.8 hrs, and 21.6 gallons gas
A 300 mile trip for me is 3 hours and 18 gallons gas

The new Cirrus i flew last week at sort of a low cruise 172 kt at 14 gal is about 12 mpg. My young wife in the back says the seats much nicer in the Cirrus than mine. :oops::oops:

Lord help me get my head back into this boring meeting

Jim

Last edited:
In Mackay Id. the other day, talking with another pilot who had a 180, he got a phone call. I overheard him saying he'd be back in half an hour (to his home base), and I laughed. Then I told him that town was an even hour at my S-7's cruising speed, and we ended up both agreeing I need a 180, and he needs an S-7. I burn 2.7 to 3.2 GPH, he burns 12, but one thing for sure, at the end of the day I get to log more time.

That's like comparing a 3/4 ton pickup to a Prius. The Prius is cool until you need to go to the lumberyard. ;)
Haha! My Prius holds more than I would have expected. I can
get a 10 ft piece in it. Barely.

But if it's 10'-1", I take the pickup and maybe the flatbed trailer.:smile:

Back