• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Tailwheel Pilot

Math is one of those things that like eating watermelon, requires no thought -- though I may have inadvertently applied the HAG reduction to both the induced and profile drag of the wing. If so, oops. I'm tired, I'll look tomorrow.

Okay, but how about pilots who can't understand that stuff or count to 10 like myself? You can't leave it there. Does the Law make tail-low and high a wash?

Take off your shoes so you can make it to 20!!!!

Algo: Try starting your takeoff roll with 40 degrees of flaps to lift the tail then down to 10 for the run... Lift the tail when loaded without even moving sometimes

My plan is to fly a complete series of test flights, to determine my takeoff distances, rate of climb versus different airspeeds, and figure out what cruise speed really is for this beast. (Maybe I should put the wheel pants back on for that, eh? Every little bit helps!) There is no POH or even "Owners Manual" for this year/model. Apparently, Champion thought the little 4"x4" "Operating Limitations" card was sufficient for "real pilots"... I've got one for the Bellanca 7ECA with O-235 power, but I'm finding it to be fairly "optimistic" for this version - mostly related to having 15% less power (O-200 vs O-235).
That is a good plan in any case...figuring out what works best in YOUR plane.

Im not sure what's covered in the flight manual for these airplane's, but one is required at least for certain serial numbers....here's the citation from the TC:

A-759NOTE 12.

Effective March 1, 1979, each Model 7ECA, 7GCAA, and 7GCBC airplane contains as FAAApproved Airplane Flight Manual which is part of the required equipment. The AFM mustremain in the airplane during aircraft operations.
Airplane Flight Manuals are required for the following airplanes:

Model7ECA7GCAA7GCBC

Beginning Serial Number1295-79
378-79

1108-79 Only
1110-79
Any 7GCBC retrofit with 7-1545 wings

page36image3432
page36image3516

Might check to see if yours is covered, just to be totally kosher.

MTV

LOL. Mine is a 1965 model, made by the old Champion Aircraft (not the current American Champion Aircraft, not even the Bellanca company that owned the TC for a number of years). My serial number is 3 digits — not covered...

CA didn't even publish an operator's guide, much less a POH or AFM... That little 4" square piece of paper with the label "Operating Limitations" is pretty much it! I'm going to have to develop my own performance charts, since Bellanca and ACA used different landing gear, fuel tanks, engines, etc. than mine does. But heck, that just means more flying for me...

Back