• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

High oil pressure after switching to Phillips

Olibuilt

Montreal, Canada
I just did a switch from AEROSHELL 15W-50 to PHILLIPS 66 X/C 20W50 and I had a good 10 psi increase in oil pressure.
I'm thinking pressure is now a little high at about 80psi in cruise, engine hot and OAT at 60F.

What oil pressure should I be aiming for??
How much do I need to unscrew adjustment screw for how many psi decrease??

O-360 C4P engine

Thank you very much

Thanks guys. I was just afraid of too high in future winter operation. I will leave it like that.

Mechanics I know say to adjust oil pressure to the low side of recommended range. I liked 65-70 so I had a margin for hot oil but my oil never got hot. I'll do the same with my new engine.

If you adjust the oil to the higher side of the pressure limit, you will maximize your flow to the top end and the net result will be a cooler exhaust valve stem. I believe that a cooler valve stem will result in less coking and lessen the potential for a sticking valve.

If you adjust to the low side you get more oil past the relief, which builds more heat...

Here's a thought when you can't stop yourself from turning spring adjustment; you can get it to a point where you will see good high presure then a short flight later the presure will start to climb and the temp will rise. This happens when the spring gets hot and expands and stiffens and shuts off the bi-pass. What you can do is buy I think six diferent springs and find one that takes you off the stop and will control things much better. Be aware that sometimes needing to adjust the presure several times in a short time can mean that the oil pump in worn out or wearing out fairly fast.

Back