• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Need an expert on wood wings

Since it doesn't have an engine, don't get talked into a 220 Continental or 245 Jacobs. They do perform, though they are restricted to 3 seats because of the empty weight and are nose heavy.

The wood which will be difficult to examine will be the stabilizer and fin since they are covered with glued on plywood. You will need to carefully open them to inspect the hardware for the hinges. Over time the fittings loosen due to the compression of the wood locally. The wings won't be as difficult because being fabric covered they are easily inspected.

Last edited:
b413f8ad20399d1c3550e5814715caef.jpg

Fairchilds 24R are one of the sexiest airplanes ever built

31ff90146adfd5a7b3459b60213a4e65.jpg

Glenn

Last edited:
245 Jake, 2B20, helluva airplane! Runs nicely with a 182 any day of the week. No problems with forward CG or with hauling 3 people and lots of bags with full tanks...or 4 people if you want to leave a bit of baggage out. Bamboo bomber cowl and boot ring, new firewall to make it look right.

The only other engine I'd consider would be the Ranger. They're a great engine if you treat them right and they look nice too!
The tail feathers are going to be the worst to look at...lots of wood in the airplane, but they're sure a sweet ol' gal when you get them done!!
Congrats!!

Since it doesn't have an engine, don't get talked into a 220 Continental or 245 Jacobs. They do perform, though they are restricted to 3 seats because of the empty weight and are nose heavy.

The wood which will be difficult to examine will be the stabilizer and fin since they are covered with glued on plywood. You will need to carefully open them to inspect the hardware for the hinges. Over time the fittings loosen due to the compression of the wood locally. The wings won't be as difficult because being fabric covered they are easily inspected.
Thanks Peter, that's useful info!

245 Jake, 2B20, helluva airplane! Runs nicely with a 182 any day of the week. No problems with forward CG or with hauling 3 people and lots of bags with full tanks...or 4 people if you want to leave a bit of baggage out. Bamboo bomber cowl and boot ring, new firewall to make it look right.

The only other engine I'd consider would be the Ranger. They're a great engine if you treat them right and they look nice too!
The tail feathers are going to be the worst to look at...lots of wood in the airplane, but they're sure a sweet ol' gal when you get them done!!
Congrats!!
That's a great looking plane. I like the Bamboo Bomber cowling. The Jake is so much heavier than the Warner 165 or the Ranger: I'm surprised there isn't a forward CG problem.

There was a Fairchild with floats for sale here in Mn that I was quite interested in. Brad might chime in with info or photos of it.
Unfortunately I had to talk myself out of pursuing it.
I might know the plane you're speaking of. It was purchased by an older fellow in Kansas, as I recall. He didn't have a license, and bought the plane to learn how to fly. Apparently there was a vocal group at his airport that told him the plane was way too much plane for a beginner, so he had it for sale at Oshkosh. Don't think it sold. Then his health started to fade. Not sure what happened after that.

My nose heavy comment was based on what I was told by the person who owned the airplane. I don't doubt that with proper ballast the airplane would very likely be superb. I have only seen it fly as it went up like a sky rocket. If you can only get a Jake 245, go for it as they are great engines.

The tail wheel strut may need some attention. If the splines are worn it can be a shimmy headache.

Back