• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

E-AB Insurance

stewartb

Question. My insurer doesn't insure the initial 10 hours of flight time in an E-AB airplane. Is that typical in the industry?

From.what I've heard yes that is the case. However look around, there are companies out there that do.offer first flight (s) insurance. Start with companies affiliated with EAA.

Try Falcon Insurance out of Texas they have insured my EAB. Good luck with your flight tests. Jeff

No coverage for the 1st 10 hours on our Rans EAB in AK with Avemco. Ironically, for us there was also a 10hr model specific requirement for the pilot. So we were screwed either way.

Avemco used to not cover homebuilts at all, so that's a step up for them.

Hmm. I had Avemco on an E-AB Biplane back in 1979, so I don't think E-AB aircraft are new to them. I also used them for liability on an E-AB aircraft in 1997. Maybe they got out of the E-AB market for a while after that?

Most insurance companies will insure an E-AB Aircraft for liability, but not hull for the first 10 hrs. Falcon will typically insure the hull if you complete the EAA Tech Counselor and Flight Advisor programs during and after construction. That's a part of their agreement with the EAA.

-Cub Builder

They wouldn't talk to me about a homebuilt Pitts around ten years ago. Maybe they don't like Pitts, or it could've been me.

It actually depends on the underwriter. The EAA insurance program, which is the one I'm most familiar with, has several actual underwriters they work with. Each underwriter has different and varying requirements. One won't cover aircraft with radial engines. One won't cover aircraft with auto conversion engines. And so it goes. It also depends on the applicant and their background and experience. That is, one pilot may be able to get first-flight coverage in a particular design where another pilot may not be able to (in the very same design). I'd suggest you call the EAA insurance program and see what they can do for you.

Thanks, Joe. I'm a member so maybe it's time I take advantage of a perk. It's good to see you still peek in here occasionally.

SB

Joe when are they going to let you fly the jet I bet you could remember to put the gear down.

Joe when are they going to let you fly the jet I bet you could remember to put the gear down.

I'd love to fly the jet. Maybe someday. Anything can happen (and usually does) but I'm pretty sure I'd remember to put the gear down. :p

Update. EAA routed my insurance request to Falcon and they provided a competitive quote. I just spoke with Avemco and they've made significant changes to their rates and coverages for E-AB airplanes in the past year, especially for kit planes. Their rates dropped dramatically and my plane would now be covered for the initial 10 hours. They do have a $200K max value limit on experimentals. That's a wee bit low for many of the new breed of exp Cubs but they're trending in the right direction. FYI.

I’ve been with Falcon on my SQ2 since I finished it in 2010 and have been satisfied but there rates have been creeping up.
I stopped at the Avemco booth at Sun and Fun and they have discounts for multiple plane policies, I am just finishing a Titan T51 mustang and am shopping for insurance for it and will likely insure with Avemco.
If anyone knows of another good insurance company I would appreciate the information.

Thanks Jake, I’ll check them out. I have installed the Chevy LS3 with a Whirlwind 4 blade, G3Xpackage with autopilot, it’s at the paint shop now hope to be flying next month.

Just got quotes for insurance that renews in May. Hull value $150K. Std Liability. No accidents nor incidents. No violations. Premium up to $2,650+ from $1,650 last year.

Just got quotes for insurance that renews in May. Hull value $150K. Std Liability. No accidents nor incidents. No violations. Premium up to $2,650+ from $1,650 last year.

.0176 cents per dollar value, very close to what I was quoted.

Back