• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Urethane over Stewart glue.

CuBob

FRIEND
Has anyone used urethane paint over Stewart system glue. Any problems with it desolving the glue.

I tried Polytone over Stewarts Ekobond glue and Ekofill primer on a test panel and it didn't do anything weird. It didn't seem to dissolve or react with anything underneath but I haven't tried it on an airplane. My biggest concern with Stewart's currently is the lack of holding up to fuel leaks from the inside- i.e. a tank seeping in a wing.

It doesn't dissolve the glue. The one I saw done like that, the biggest negative was the tram tracks from wiping the glue on telegraphing thru to the finish coat. Not sure about the lack of UV protection though. This plane looked good though and the cover system was very light.

Andrew

The plane in the pictures was covered in ceconite attached with the Stewart Systems glue. The glue was thinned and brushed all over the fabric, then a local urethane applied. The second picture gives some idea of the finish. The guy was totally focussed on keeping the weight to a minimum. Also there isn't a tape on the plane anywhere.

Andrew.

Attachments

• IMG_1990.jpg
    IMG_1990.jpg
    311.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_1991.jpg
    IMG_1991.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 140
This is my friend's Skybolt. I helped him with the paint. The fabric and tapes were attached with Stewart Systems glue, then an epoxy-urethane primer (I think they call it that) was squeegeed into the fabric, followed by a few build up coats and the requisite amount of sanding. Then the same topcoat as the green and white plane has was used. A flex agent was used in both. The Skybolt is for sale if anyone is interested. Come and have a holiday in New Zealand and take home a loverly Skybolt - LOL.

Andrew.

Attachments

• Art Deco 061.jpg
    Art Deco 061.jpg
    338.9 KB · Views: 92
I would call Stewarts and ask them. Just because it was done does not make it safe. If memory serves me right, I believe that Steve Whitman died because he mixed covering systems. Over a long term period chemicals can react poorly with each other. Kind of like plastic fishing worms in a plastic tackle box.

I have been impressed with the Stewarts glue and Eko-Fill. However, I have had one or two very minor failures of glue joints in very high stress areas.

My ancient Mustang convertible top pulled loose from its cross bows, so I glued some 4" surface tape in there. It looked great, and held very well for about three years. The entire seam on all cross bows appears to have failed within the last six months. Very high stress in that area.

And why wouldn't you just use Stewarts topcoat? It's actually easy to apply and will last just fine if you follow the directions.

And why wouldn't you just use Stewarts topcoat? It's actually easy to apply and will last just fine if you follow the directions.
Agreed. Like I said, my only concern at this point is that I haven't had great luck with it holding up to fuel from the inside. Obviously not a topcoat issue. I love working with the entire system- I can do it in my garage with the doors closed and you can't smell a thing inside the house.

The Eko-Fill is supposed to be applied on the inside of the fabric where there is the possibility of fuel leakage.

Back