• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

what do you clean your floats with?

skukum12

The Last Frontier
1461951856663.jpg

Got the pond scum and some green mixed in. Whats the common cleaning solution?

Attachments

• 1461951856663.jpg
    1461951856663.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 134
crud cutter from walmart works good spray it on and brush a lot easier when scum hasn't had a chance to dry. non toxic and bio degradable so it says.

I learned from the gentleman at the EDO booth today that Ak has an algae in our fresh water that attacks float finish which obviously leads to corrosion. If I heard him right, he has seen some floats requiring attention after only one season.

Simple Green is good stuff but I think it can be corrosive?

Don't know about corrosion. The junk / scum from lake hood is what is corrosive. I have a friend that keeps his cub in Fire Lake at Eagle River and the paint will disappear in two years and then starts to corrode.

It doesn't stay on there long enough to corrode anything. Been using it for years and my floats are doing fine. I use it to wash the fabric after diluting it in the water. Cuts oil film great.

Yup, but so does the water that leaves that scum on the floats.

Use gloves or a brush, rinse right after.
Never saw a water scum line that was caustic, be careful as harsh cleaners can etch a surface and then you're hosed because next time the scum will be even harder to get off, or at least that's how it worked on the dozen or so boats I've had in and around southern fresh water.

You should always have some sort of paint on your floats for protection, even if you have to do it every year

one year i used a foaming shower/bath cleaner. sprayed it on, it foamed, then wiped right off. but i forgot which one. and it was probably as toxic as the rest. maybe i'll try the simple green in the spring

Regular Simple Green is bad for aluminum. They make a special Simple Green for use with aluminum.
https://www.amazon.com/Simple-Green...5982167&sr=8-1&keywords=simple+green+aluminum

DeNaturerd Alcohol and a rag will take off most of the light brown lake scum.

Our lake is super nasty and it is also partly salty. I sometimes use BOAT HULL cleaner. It burns your skin, makes it hard to breath and will blind you if it gets in your eyes. It will also eat a bad paint job. I re-paint my floats,,,, a lot....

Attachments

• 2011-01-01 035 (1280x885).jpg
    2011-01-01 035 (1280x885).jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 95
Fast Orange hand cleaner without the Plumice. It also works great on the fuel dye stains. Put some on a car wash brush, dip it in lake to add the water, scrub away and rinse with a pail of lake water. I put some on a soft wet cloth to get in the places the bush can't. Hands come out pretty good to.
RG

Back