• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

CB wiring

Eddie Foy

South Florida
I noticed that the circuit breaker terminals in my panel are are marked "Line" and "Load.". Is it critical that they be wired that way? What will happen if the line and load are switched?

I noticed that the circuit breaker terminals in my panel are are marked "Line" and "Load.". Is it critical that they be wired that way? What will happen if the line and load are switched?

I used to be religious about keeping 'line' and 'load' connected as marked. Then I argued with some of the fine folks here and decided to verify. I emailed Potter/Brumfield (now Tyco) and was told that it just didn't matter. He stated that the only reason they marked the tabs 'line' and 'load' was to get a UL listing. Said that they work the same, hooked up either way.

Web

Thermal type breakers will, but some DC breakers (such as used in solar power systems) are magnetically biased, and won't....

Back